PDA

View Full Version : Collins fish sniffer derby

westcoasterjim
04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Want to say THANK YOU to Cal, Don, and the rest of the team for putting on a great derby. My wife and I were able to bring 6 to the boat but lost around 10. Warm weather, light breeze, along with good fishing made our day a fun one. Sorry no pics this time. Again, THANKS guys for a fun day.

Jim & Kathi

lineside
04-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Did Okie make it to the derby this year? That man makes a mean choc cake.

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks Jim,the derby went well,grew to over 170 people signing up which meant a nice dollar amount to the top 5 winners,adults an kids,+ some gear an tons of powerbait,firebait,red an white Pautzke's eggs,fishing line an leader,tee shirts etc....
The fishing was good but no real big ones,first place won with a 3.3 # trout,some bigger bass showed up but it was trout only..
Didn't see many board members at the weigh in that I knew just Westcoster Jim an his wife Kathi,RNP an his GF,saw a few more at the sign in,OneTrueBob,Troughost,an Buckman I think?That was it for board members if there were more they didn't say so.I asked a few if they were an many said they view the board is all,an some were old members that hadn't been on for years since the split up,also a couple of hookers.
All in all the derby was a huge success in #s an payoff amounts,considering it only cost $10/15 to sign up....
Also hangin at the beach area with Cal an BS'in an takin in the views most of the day was cool,the sun was out an the Gals were sun tanning...:laugh::laugh:.......Don............PS lineside no okie

lineside
04-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Okie who? Gals suntanning!:smiley: and I was painting the bathroom.:yikes:

ampm
04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Sounds like it was a great event, I am bummed i missed it ( too many back-yard honey-do's on Sat.) I did make it out on Sunday and saw the remains!! LOL..and there were still a few fish left in the lake thank you. Unfortunatley the day ended abruptly after a very rude fish shook the hook and it logged deeply in my right thumb, :help: guess now I know what it feels like hah!! Ended the day with a trip to the ER.....I think I'll be looking into barbless hooks afterall yikes!

buckman78
04-30-2012, 08:38 AM
smogguy,

do you know if the write up from this weekends derby is going to be online or in the fishsniffer news paper?

-Buckman-

TroutGhost
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
>>>I think I'll be looking into barbless hooks...

A pair of pliers works well keeping the hooks off the digits. :)

Missed meeting more sniffers. It was a hard trolling bite. OTB's fish finder kept marking fish thirty to sixty feet deep. Points, humps and shallows was where the action was for us.

CRABBY
04-30-2012, 11:09 AM
smogguy,

do you know if the write up from this weekends derby is going to be online or in the fishsniffer news paper?

-Buckman-I both I believe,an hope....Don

CRABBY
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like it was a great event, I am bummed i missed it ( too many back-yard honey-do's on Sat.) I did make it out on Sunday and saw the remains!! LOL..and there were still a few fish left in the lake thank you. Unfortunatley the day ended abruptly after a very rude fish shook the hook and it logged deeply in my right thumb, :help: guess now I know what it feels like hah!! Ended the day with a trip to the ER.....I think I'll be looking into barbless hooks afterall yikes!LOL,shouldn't laugh Kirby but I just had to,Us Dads an Granddads always warn the kids about doing that,becareful,don't do that etc,etc,been there myself,lol.......Don

redneckpunk
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
ampm, did the same thing a few years back while trolling for kokes at Oroville. I did mine in the early morning and didnt want to quit while the bite was on. Had for some reason taken my diagonal cutters out of the tacklebox and no way to cut it. I removed the treble from the lure, wrapped it tight with paper towel and electrical tape and finished the day fishing. Hit the ER when we got home.

I still dont use barbless, but Im damn certain the cutters never come out of the box

~RNP

CAL.NDN
04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
ampm, did the same thing a few years back while trolling for kokes at Oroville. I did mine in the early morning and didnt want to quit while the bite was on. Had for some reason taken my diagonal cutters out of the tacklebox and no way to cut it. I removed the treble from the lure, wrapped it tight with paper towel and electrical tape and finished the day fishing. Hit the ER when we got home. I still dont use barbless, but Im damn certain the cutters never come out of the box10400~RNPYou know your a real red neck when a treble hook lodged in the thumb dont stop you from bringing mama home some fish to fry!!!!! Way to git r done......

redneckpunk
04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
You know your a real red neck when a treble hook lodged in the thumb dont stop you from bringing mama home some fish to fry!!!!! Way to git r done......

HAHA! it was the thought of going home that kept me out there.

ampm
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
ampm, did the same thing a few years back while trolling for kokes at Oroville. I did mine in the early morning and didnt want to quit while the bite was on. Had for some reason taken my diagonal cutters out of the tacklebox and no way to cut it. I removed the treble from the lure, wrapped it tight with paper towel and electrical tape and finished the day fishing. Hit the ER when we got home.

I still dont use barbless, but Im damn certain the cutters never come out of the box

~RNP

dude that is giving me the creeps! mine was similar but right in the pad, not on the side, my daughter keeps telling her friend 'take a picture, take a picture!!' If I had just grabbed my pliers and yanked it I might have got it out, but I tried to push it through and made it worse, then it started really stinging!! shoot, i've had tons of 'em stick me but never had one go past the barb before. Way to 'man-up' and keep fishing, we were getting ready to leave pretty soon anyway, and they made me stop at the store and get them some ice cream before we left. Little in-grates!!
When I got home, I hear the wife asking the girls 'You left him unsupervised?'

westcoasterjim
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
dude that is giving me the creeps! mine was similar but right in the pad, not on the side, my daughter keeps telling her friend 'take a picture, take a picture!!' If I had just grabbed my pliers and yanked it I might have got it out, but I tried to push it through and made it worse, then it started really stinging!! shoot, i've had tons of 'em stick me but never had one go past the barb before. Way to 'man-up' and keep fishing, we were getting ready to leave pretty soon anyway, and they made me stop at the store and get them some ice cream before we left. Little in-grates!!
When I got home, I hear the wife asking the girls 'You left him unsupervised?'

Now you are truly are an official "HOOKER" member:)

Jim

CRABBY
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Now you are truly are an official "HOOKER" member:)

JimLOL,Jim ya ol fart,wrong board!!!!!!!:speechless-smiley-0:speechless-smiley-0:rotfl2::rotfl2:....I know at our age it's hard to keep track...LOL.....Don...Big HI to Kathi who watches over you

westcoasterjim
05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
LOL,Jim ya ol fart,wrong board!!!!!!!:speechless-smiley-0:speechless-smiley-0:rotfl2::rotfl2:....I know at our age it's hard to keep track...LOL.....Don...Big HI to Kathi who watches over you

Gawd, I need a new brain:redface:LOL
Jim

CRABBY
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
smogguy,

-Buckman- -Well we had 170+ entrants,the fish weren't real big but we had a ton of people trying,many camped overnight,lots of sniffers were there,GF's,wifes,an kids,we had a lot of people at the weigh in an dan bacher was there takin a ton of pics of winners,adults an kids,I had no camera so I got none,WELL,nothing showed up on the board :embarassed:,no thank you,no pics nothing,I just got the currant copy of the sniffer an we got 1 paragraph mixed in one of the ciffi articals,no pics,nothing.....I'm gonna call an see what the reason is....

CRABBY
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
-Well we had 170+ entrants,the fish weren't real big but we had a ton of people trying,many camped overnight,lots of sniffers were there,GF's,wifes,an kids,we had a lot of people at the weigh in an dan bacher was there takin a ton of pics of winners,adults an kids,I had no camera so I got none,WELL,nothing showed up on the board :embarassed:,no thank you,no pics nothing,I just got the currant copy of the sniffer an we got 1 paragraph mixed in one of the ciffi articals,no pics,nothing.....I'm gonna call an see what the reason is....NO ANSWER!!!!NO REPLY!!!!!
I'm Done......Don

buckman78
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Well thats a bummer! They were taking a lot of pictures too.

CRABBY
05-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Well the write up on the Collins Derby is in THIS issue of the news magazine,nice write up some pics,way to much for me to type up,maybe Cal will put it on the board or you can pick up a copy at most places that sell tackle.It's a nice read,enjoy.....Don