PDA

View Full Version : Chumming question....

foggy
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I was thinking of A good use for my old bait.And a few months ago I saw a report on a vary large seven gill taking a chum bag and trying to run with it.
So my question is how many of you have tried this and have you had any success with it?
I thought a guy could go out and find a nice hole or cove put out a few containers or chum bags out.Than cast over near the bait and see what happens..
Just thought ::)

keciga1
01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
That will probably work more at this time of the year in the bay since the sharks are harder to find. I would just grind the bait up, put it in a container and freeze it. Then just put it in a chum bag and waaalaa. That is on my to do list. Very soon.

Ivan

wmgraphics
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Chumming has brough me great success. I'll hit the asian food store and buy the cheapest mackeral I can find. It's a really oily fish and leaves a nice slick, plus I add some bait paste. As for sharks in the last three years never had a problem. Attached a 2 mesh bags, one near bottom and on top attached to a seperate line other than you anchor with a weight at the front of the boat.

rymerpt
01-14-2007, 08:55 AM
I would think that a frozen slury would attract nearly anything.

rymerpt

ocean_314
01-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Uglystix where have you chummed? We where talking aobut doing this in the ocean on a drift for rockfish. I was wondering does it bring the lingcod in and hold them? Or do you just get a huge school of blues following you around?

wmgraphics
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Lings most definitely!
I like to chum around or near the ends of kelp beds. When tide is going in, that slick will flow through the kelp and bring em right in. Also a lot of baitfish start to come around, which is great, cause those Lings love the macks and dines.
As for rock fish not so much, I've caught a few plus some big cabs but I think the lings keep em away.
Once we catch our limits on lings, we head out for the rockfish. Last years biggest ling was just shy of 38" caught by my girlfriend on a big mack.
Man that was awsome to watch her reel it in, it was her first trip out last season and she always compaigns that she never catches any big fish, she's hooked.
We caught so many that day, I felt like all I did was take off her fish and rebait her rig. I'd get back to putting on a big swim fish and WAM she had another. Good times though.

JonnyP
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't want to sound like a smarta$$, but who the heck needs to chum for rockies? or Ling for that matter? Unless your're talking close to shore...

foggy
01-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Sorry was thinking more in the line of fishing for sharks
Tomalas bay specifically.

I would of never of thought of chumming for lings. I thought lings ambushed their pray more than seeking them out. :-?

sethonious
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Lings are more active predators than you might think. ;)

aintscared
01-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Out of Bodega last summer we had a large school of blues below us and below them there where lingcod suspended feeding on them in the middle of the water column and not right on the bottom!! *;) *And I wouldnt think twice about chucking a few frozen sardines or anchovies over the side to maybe turn on the bite !!* *;D

wmgraphics
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, close to shore. The chum brings in all kinds of bait and sport fish for these big lings to eat. If you think that a chum slick doesn't attract or get the attention of some ling cod swimming around in a kelp bed, ummmm ya wrong.
Well, I've done it both ways and I most definitely do much better with the chum bag, no doubt about it (lings only).
But what it really comes down to is.. whatever works for you.

ocean_314
01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I asked the question about the lings. I am an avid diver and i very rarely see lings sitting on the bottom. They are useally about 10' off the bottom hunting and moving very agressively. They look like a snake with a big head underwater. I will often cripple a white perch or blue so that it brings in the lings. And the lings move FAST. They are the real sharks of the N Calif coast.
the chumming idea is something that i have often thought of when i am out in a boat fishing for them hence the question.