PDA

View Full Version : bat ray question

dan82
12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Okay simple question, can you catch bat rays this time of the year?

dan

mel
12-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Sure you can.

MB_Kevin
12-10-2006, 04:35 AM
I would say yes...all year round...even from shore. My only problem is trying not to catch them ;)

tarbuckle
12-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Yes

dan82
12-10-2006, 04:16 PM
thanks guys, i went to bank fish bay farm today after a skunk at chabot, I got skunked at bay farm too. I think it was because I wasnt getting it far enough but anyways its a nice place to fish with lots of room...

toyboat22
12-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Dan ive caught alot of rays, some people hate them, I love them, what a FIGHT! I only fish for them during the summer out on tamales bay while also fishing for sharks, but they are everywhere. Like all serious saltwater species they hate freshwater so good luck!

tarbuckle
12-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Make sure your holding your rod or have it firmly planted. Rays will your pole in the water in a second if your not carefull. "Almost" happened to me once.

Hiking-Jay
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Baitrunner reels or conventionals in freespool with the clicker turned on are the best methods for keeping your gear from going for a swim!

Rusty_Hooks
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Anybody here ever make bat ray scallops? ::) ;)

SLOfisher
12-11-2006, 05:41 PM

Yep. Trim around the edge of the wing, cut them up in 2" chunks. Cook however you like. Can't hardly tell them from the real thing.

mel
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
They make great tackle testers. Especially catching them from shore. Landing an 80+ pounder will help you practice when you get a big dino on the line. And you learn your tackle limitations at the same time. It's better to lose a big ray, than lose a big sturgeon...

catfished
12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
For brute power and speed, it's hard to beat catching mud marlin in the flats. :exclamation

dan82
12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
yea i never knew about these fish until moving down here and seeing them on this fishing site. And from what everybody is saying that are a blast! So even though I havent caught one yet its still fun to read about how strong they are.. BTW I am using my medium heavy lamiglass and a abu garcia 5500 is that enough rod or am i bringing a knife to a gun fight?

toyboat22
12-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Going to the ocean and the fact that you rod is going to be beat up and end up in the sand and grit id go get yourself something cheap. I use cheap surf rods and semi-cheap reels, spend more money on wire and good hooks. They will bend over a cheap hook and you will be pissed. Heres a pic from this summer..
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/toytruck22/fishin/IMG_2148.jpg

The Real fish test, can you pick it up?!?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/toytruck22/fishin/IMG_2147.jpg

Also notice the waders, its become tradition that someone becomes the wader boy and get to retrive fish out of the shallows. Simply because your not going to try and drag a 80+ pound ray out with just your line. Also take a note from the late Steve Irwin and respect their stinger.

Then you might get lucky and hook into a few of these. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/toytruck22/fishin/IMG_2142.jpg

Fish ON!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/toytruck22/fishin/IMG_2143.jpg

If ya want I can explain my leader set-up.

dan82
12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
nice fish! no wonder they pull those things are huge... and nice coloration on the shark i havent seen one with so many small spots along with the larger ones. yea that would be great to let me know the leader set up. That makes since not to use the good stuff on them its just hard not to cause i enjoy the lami, anways where was that at? im going to take a stab at it and say tomales bay.

Rusty_Hooks
12-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Yep. Trim around the edge of the wing, cut them up in 2" chunks. Cook however you like. Can't hardly tell them from the real thing.

I used to use a 1 1/2" steel pipe, sharpened to a punch....no one ever knew....

the family thought they were eating scallops [smiley=bubble.gif]

tracy-ed
12-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Okay......this has got my interest ;)

Where? What kind of bait? Incoming/outgoing make a difference?

Scallops that fight back!!!! ;D

toyboat22
12-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Yep, Tomales Bay. Leader length depends on how far you can cast. I go anywhere from 12-20". Here its easier to explain with a pic...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/toytruck22/IMG_2626.jpg

Like I said, cheap hooks mean lost fish. Only problem ive had with this set-up is if the top hook gets into a big fish it can put enough stress on the crimp to tear the leader apart. If you notice the leader on the left doesnt have a loop anymore, it got pulled tight :o But the two seperate hooks works good in the 'trailer hook' theory. Ive had the top hook pull out and then feel the bottom hook dig in. When these big rays feel they are hooked they take off and make epic runs. Those wings are built for speed. Then when you start to see the bottom on your spool you tighten things up and then you find the weak spot. So your knots and crimps really get a workout. I usually use 30 p-line xxxtra strong mono but I started trying braided recently. Ive heard of rays over 120lbs, good luck fighting one that big.

pinfish
12-16-2006, 09:24 PM
they will pull the opposite way you pull on them, well duh, but on piers, that's the strategy. if the pier is empty i'll actually run up the pier when they go latterally. or even the beach. when they are tired going laterally, you should make sure they are really tired before you pull them in as they will make a mad dash under the pier if they feel that opposite pull.

on shore, sometimes when (and if) they get tired they will go to the bottom and form a suction with their body to the ground and it will be even tougher to make them budge.

dan82
12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
okay im going to try again tomorrow, going to alameda rock wall and then probably the berkeley pier for some perch if i cant get any rays, I will post my report when i get back...

dan82
12-17-2006, 02:54 PM
okay the report, went first to berkeley pier and tried for some perch and possibly a ray or shark, it was dead there, not even a bite on the pile worms. We decided to go to the rockwall and try there. No sharks or rays but did catch 4 perch 2 of which were really good sized. Caught them near the rocks and with pile worms.

Turtleracer01
12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
This is my first time on this site. Is everyone here in either central calif or north calif? I am in southern calif. down here it is either hard to catch bat rays or hard not to catch them.

triggerfish
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
welcome turtle, I would say that 70% from bay area/sac areas, 10% nevada,10% northern cal/oregon.

Turtleracer01
12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
And me from the Inland Empire. I have lived in the Los Angeles area for 49 years (20-45 minutes to the surf " Huntinton Beach, Seal Beach, Santa Monica Beach")and have been into surffishing for about 9 months now. I have just moved to this area in November, now lookint to add an hour and a half to my drive to any beach. But hea just makes the catch that much better.

Craig

SLOfisher
12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
welcome turtle, I would say that 70% from bay area/sac areas, 10% nevada,10% northern cal/oregon.

And .01% from the Central Coast (me). :)

dimpala95
12-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Try using squid for bait. Sharks and bat rays usually bite better on squid than pile worms.

MoMoney
01-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Dan 82,I would not use a 5500 reel for rays.Im sure you could possibly land one but you will just smoke the drag.I have landed plenty on my 6500 reels and long skinny rods on a boat but sometimes It takes 30 minutes and 2 trips around the boat to land em.For me its not fun anymore as Im lookin for sharks and the rays are taking up my shark time!!I now have a couple shimano tr2000 charter specials and they are now my reel of choice when batteling those big ugly beasts!!

I_SHOULD_BE_FISHIN
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
yeah I say go to tomales bay we went over thanksgiving weekend and caught 2 one was about 80lbs and the other around 50lbs. They are easy to fish for just get some stugeon rigs from walmart and I have the best luck with squid sometimes I will put on like three of them. The rig I use is a uglystik tiger w/ a penn jigmaster reel. ;)

fishingrick57
01-20-2007, 08:54 AM
You can catch rays all day long at dumbarton pier useing squid. Bout to head out there right now for some perch. Huge leopards out there too. Just make sure you have a way to pull them up.

wcslingers
01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh man i got to try this. This would be a good warm up for my upcomming trip to the Columbia for some oversize dinos.