PDA

View Full Version : Hensley Lake (5/5) and Eastman (5/6)

crazyfisher
05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Went out to Hensley Lake on Saturday 5/5/12 from 11 til 6 from Vista Point area and caught 2 trout and a lot of largemouth bass. Trout was caught on rainbow pb and pinched crawler. GF managed to catch a few bass and a catfish. Weather was pretty nice with a slight breeze. Water temperature is rapidly rising. Trout was 15-16 inch.

Bass caught with brush hog. I forgot how hard the bass can hit :) glad they are starting to bite again since trout season around here is coming to an end with the hot weather approaching. Its time to head up the mountain to get my trout fix when the heat comes. :)

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/869/2trout.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1431/bass1b.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5607/bass2w.jpg

On Sunday, deciding which lake to hit. Was thinking Pine Flat, Shaver Lake, or Eastman. Pine flat, we haven't had much luck from the bank for trout so we would have rented a boat. Too bad their boat doesn't have a bimini top :( Was considering Shaver Lake but at the end, we decided to hit Eastman. Got there around 9 and fish on at 10 using a green/orange mouse with two green power eggs. It was full of life and a chore to bring in. As soon as it got to shore, it took off again. This went on many times and finally landed it. Nice 18 inch rainbow. Action was really slow all morning and afternoon. We can see a lot of small panfish and bass swimming close by. Got bored and started catching the panfish for fun to pass time, haha. None were harm and were safely released to grow up. By 3, we had enough of the heat. Weather Channel forecast it to be mid to high 70 that day but it wasn't. It was mid to high 80s with barely a breeze.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8315/fish1hh.jpg

Just a quick question for you guys. What do you guy normally do when the weather is hot and after catching the trout. I know people put them in ice but we carry too much as it is so usually I attach it to the stringer and toss it out as far as I can in the deeper water to keep the fish cold. However the water temp is getting warmer and by the time we finish fishing, the fish isn't cold anymore. Once I get home, I usually toss it in the freezer or frig for a few hours. However when I start cleaning the fish and peeling the skin off, the meat is a bit mushy. Its tough to fillet the fish as well. Any thoughts?

crazyfisher
05-07-2012, 10:03 AM
just got an idea. I'll freeze a few water bottle the night before and pack a collapsing cooler inside my backpack. Put the trout in a ziplock bag and toss it in the collapsing cooler with water bottle to keep the trout cold :) I'll give that a shot next weekend

CAL.NDN
05-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Thats a good idea you got there should work for you just fine. Yes water up in foothills is geting to warm to place fish in also i need start bringing ice chest but like you i cary alot already. Mite need look into the collapsible chest..

CAL.NDN
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Buy the way nice catch thanks for sharing

FresnoJack
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Did you give Nanofil another try? Knots?

David

Went out to Hensley Lake on Saturday 5/5/12 from 11 til 6 from Vista Point area and caught 2 trout and a lot of largemouth bass. Trout was caught on rainbow pb and pinched crawler. GF managed to catch a few bass and a catfish. Weather was pretty nice with a slight breeze. Water temperature is rapidly rising. Trout was 15-16 inch......

crazyfisher
05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Did you give Nanofil another try? Knots?

David

I did give it a couple of chance however it once again failed :angry:

I used a triple knot palomar however the line itself is really weak as far as abrasion goes. The line to the knot was good but as I was going up on the line, it was fraying. Its great line if you are bait fishing however if you are using it for lures or anywhere near rocks, don't use it at all. I lost 6 lures to this line :angry: oh well. Live and learn.

I'm a bit disappointed. Good thing I have an extra spool to change out!! anyways, time to get new fishing line :( cheap line this time for me either floro or mono.

Slapabow
05-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Way to cover both lakes.

Carefull not to pre cook your trout on a stringer :swimmingfish:

Bonk , ice then grill.
Tightlines