PDA

View Full Version : get ready squid hunters

fishhogg
12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Well its that time of year for the GIANT SQUIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
The New Sea Angler out of Bodega Bay is headed out to the grounds in search of the humboldt squid on tuesday, reports to be posted soon after.....
Bring out your q-sticks, fast reels, and get ready for a workout because here we go!!!

keciga1
12-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Can't wait. Keep us posted on the report. Any sniffers wanna get together for a squid trip?

namjagerungbengi
12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Man I'd love to give squid fishing a try, or even ocean fishing for that matter. Sucks not knowing anyone with a boat! :-[

żżż
12-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Planning on getting some guys together to go. Is the NSA the boat of choice to go after squid? Do I need specialized gear for this or can I use typical rockfish gear?

Know_Excuses
12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Can't wait. Keep us posted on the report. Any sniffers wanna get together for a squid trip?

I'm down ;D

metalmouth
12-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Be sure to take your cameras. We need lots of pics! ;D

ocean_314
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I AM READY!!!!!!

I have my home made giant squid killer lures, lol room in the freezer and remmember that those squid eat anything that falls in the water, so NO WIVESB ALLOWED on the boat!

fishhogg
12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
The nsa is the boat to be on, caught more squid than all the boats combined last yr, avg 10-15 thousand lbs and hr, and as far as gear heaviest rod, fasteds reel, (the old deep water fishing q sticks, fast or 2 speed reels, loaded with 40-60 lb mono, braided is not recomended on the boat... report comming soon!

fishhogg
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
oh and u need "squid jigs" either the 24 ozwar clubs or the 6 inch with rings work as well, no rock cod gear, dont want to interact with the rock cod!

Rusty_Hooks
12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Rubber boots and rain pants or chest highs...it do get a wee bit slimy ::)

Keep in mind when you're out....humboldts have little hooks in thier suckers....and big beaks....don't put anything past them. ;)

keciga1
12-18-2006, 08:38 PM
The nsa is the boat to be on, caught more squid than all the boats combined last yr, avg 10-15 thousand lbs and hr, and as far as gear heaviest rod, fasteds reel, (the old deep water fishing q sticks, fast or 2 speed reels, loaded with 40-60 lb mono, braided is not recomended on the boat... report comming soon!

How come no braid. Is it not recomended for squid or does the captain not allow it?

Maelstrom
12-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm down as well!

Also, I second the question as to why is no braid allowed?

timetofish
12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Also, I second the question as to why is no braid allowed?

I was told mainly because of the braid's cutting capabilities and there's the inevitable tangling of lines and we all know untangling braid isn't something any deckhand wants to deal with.

kozar777
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Do you guys eat them? Do they actaully fight? I caught a small octopus out fishing cod in Santa Cruz & it was just dead weight. Is that how it feels?

keciga1
12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Do you guys eat them? Do they actaully fight? I caught a small octopus out fishing cod in Santa Cruz & it was just dead weight. Is that how it feels?

From the videos that I have seen it looked like they fight like hell.

ocean_314
12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
They make a couple of strong runs straight down. they fight pretty good. Your arms will bw wiped out by the end of the day.
And yes we love the meat. There is a water soulable peptide that gives the meat an off taste. to get rid of it just soak it in water for a couple of hours before cooking.
BBQ squid and squid piccata is really good.
Oh and the only time i got wet or slimy was when i was holding up a 5' squid for pics.

Know_Excuses
12-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Ivan, I volunteer you to put us a squid trip together ;D ;D

keciga1
12-20-2006, 11:12 PM
You Know I love you Mike, but I wouldn't want another repeat of the Fury trip. There is always a chance of people bailing out at the last second. Don't get me wrong I had a blast with all you guys. I belive it is better if everyone makes their own reservations for the trip. What I can do is get more info and find out when would be the best time to set up a trip.

jesballs
12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
im down just let me know when you guys are going out

jes

gmdcdvm
12-24-2006, 12:53 AM
I am down to go as well if I have that day off. I brought up my 2 speed reel with 60lb line from San Diego just for this purpose, and i have a 30N Avet 2 speed I want to try out as well. One of my buddies from Sac also wants to try this out. Let me know what day you guys decide to go.
Gerry

derrickrosare
12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
How much is a charter on the nsa?

fishguts
12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I would like to give it a go. I just would like to go along with a group thats done it before and hopefully it falls on my day off,oh heck I guess I could just call in sick. I will keep an eye on this post. Gonna give FishnRN (BEN) a buzz about going.
I have the perfect rod for it that was recently refinished by Newtothegames uncle. Lots of backbone to it.

FishnRN
01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
You know me Joe (fishguts), if theres gonna be drinkin aloud, put me down to go. I'm pretty sure drinking is permitted, otherwise Mike (KE) would not say he's going either ;)
Also, Joe your driving!
Someone pick a date and lets get this thing booked, otherwise its just talk and will never happen!

-Ben

derrickrosare
01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
A few days ago the Nsa had taken in 238 squid for around 300lbs per angler! That sounds like a blast! Im bringin my fryin pan for some fresh calamari!

Here is a video clip i found on them from mtv-
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?partner=yahoo&vid=74696&id=1523053&section_0=news &partnersearch=yahoo.video&artist=

fishguts
01-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Also, Joe your driving!
Someone pick a date and lets get this thing booked, otherwise its just talk and will never happen!

-Ben

Oh man, now I have to cut back on the Rootbeer. [smiley=duh.gif] Should of designated you first. Ok I will drive.

FishnRN
01-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Maybe if Mama lets you, we can take her motorhome and make it an overnighter....? See if she'll give you permission, ;D

-Ben

derrickrosare
01-02-2007, 09:43 AM
To everyone who has fished for squid before. I have a shimano baitrunner BTR-6500. Is this big enough to reel those bad boys up? Or am I better off renting a reel on the boat?

fishguts
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Maybe if Mama lets you, we can take her motorhome and make it an overnighter....? *See if she'll give you permission, ;D

-Ben

Getting some repairs done so it may be out of commission. Mama keeps thinking its got 4WD in it or something.

keciga1
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
To everyone who has fished for squid before. I have a shimano baitrunner BTR-6500. Is this big enough to reel those bad boys up? Or am I better off renting a reel on the boat?

I think you might be better off renting the boat equipment. These squid are down deep untill the school is brought up from the depth. You need eather a two speed wich would be ideal or a high gear ratio reel. You can bring your outfit and wait untill the school is brought up closer to the surface or just to try it out. I have the 4500 and I know yours is bigger, mine only holds about 250 yards of 65lb braid.

ocean_314
01-02-2007, 03:15 PM
You will need at least 400' of line. Careful if you rent the boat equipment. Make sure that it works good and is balanced, my friend rented a outfit on the boat that was a piece of junk.

derrickrosare
01-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Decisions - Decisions I think I will throw some 50lb braid on there with a mono leader and just go from there. Hate to rent a setup and its not that great. I can get em deep! I will just start working out the week before -HaHa. Thanks guys for your input!

fishguts
01-03-2007, 01:26 PM
You Know I love you Mike, but I wouldn't want another repeat of the Fury trip. There is always a chance of people bailing out at the last second. Don't get me wrong I had a blast with all you guys. I belive it is better if everyone makes their own reservations for the trip. What I can do is get more info and find out when would be the best time to set up a trip.

Set a date and tell everyone to go make their own reservations and those that show will have a great time. I think that would work best.

keciga1
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok, how about Feb 10th. What boat does everyone wanna go on (If other than the NSA)? Does anyone have the number for the NSA?

derrickrosare
01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, how about Feb 10th. What boat does everyone wanna go on (If other than the NSA)? Does anyone have the number for the NSA?

Here is the number buddy 707-874-3527.

keciga1
01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks bud. I will be calling to make a reservation. You guys let me if you can make it out.

derrickrosare
01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Were you tryin to head out on a weekday or weekend?

keciga1
01-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Feb 10th is a Saturday.

fishguts
01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
February 10th it is. I am gonna put in my vacation request tomorrow.

keciga1
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Know_Excuses is also going so watch out and hide your beer. ;D ;D ;D ;D Mike where you at bro?

fishguts
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok Ben (FishRN)
Are ya gonna walk the walk or talk the talk?
Chime in buddy....

salmonkng
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
waz going to go out on friday but called and sayed seas r 2 rough!! :'(

Know_Excuses
01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Know_Excuses is also going so watch out and hide your beer. ;D ;D ;D ;D Mike where you at bro?

MWHAHAHAA Yes sireee, Cool its a big boat too ;D ;D I am in and looking forward to it ;D ;D

keciga1
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm ready, still got some homework to do but I'm getting the gear ready.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6898/squid002bj4.jpg

Farrier_Frank
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey KE... If you end up catching a bunch of squid remember your old buddy's IT and FF. ;) Calamari would be a good treat at the salmon fest, too...... Go get em, dude [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

keciga1
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey KE... If you end up catching a bunch of squid remember your old buddy's IT and FF. ;) Calamari would be a good treat at the salmon fest, too...... Go get em, dude [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FF and IT I hope you guys clean out your refrigrator.

Know_Excuses
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM

You got it Frank ;D

derrickrosare
01-07-2007, 09:57 PM
keciga1 has got his gear and is ready to go! How many did you get? All we need to hear now is "HOOK UP"! Still unsure but tryin to plan everything out so pops and me can make it out and meet some of you and catch a whole bunch of squid!!!!

keciga1
01-07-2007, 11:58 PM
keciga1 has got his gear and is ready to go! How many did you get? All we need to hear now is "HOOK UP"! Still unsure but tryin to plan everything out so pops and me can make it out and meet some of you and catch a whole bunch of squid!!!!

I only got one. They're $20 a pop, but I got some others that will work.

FishnRN
01-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Ok Ben (FishRN)
Are ya gonna walk the walk or talk the talk?
Chime in buddy....

Hey Joe, as much as I want to go, I'm not sure on this date. I supposed to do the sturgeon derby on the 28th weekend and thats gonna set me back a couple buck with the houseboat thing- IF I make it- theres even some question to that now. Then on the next weekend, Feb 3rd, the "W" and I are running in a duathlon in Sac then off to Reno for superbowl weekend. Anyhow, not sure if the "W" is gonna let me spend more and be gone from the home for three weekends in a row.
Like I said, I really want to go, but might have to make a weekday trip another time?
We'll see what happens...?

-Ben

fishguts
01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
What charter is everyone planning to go out on?
Put in my vaca. request and now want to get a seat.
Thinkin my youngest son will probably go too.
The night before we went fishing over the weekend he had an ear infection and the first words out of his mouth with the doc was "but can I go fishing tomorrow?"

Gonna miss ya Ben, but now I can drink all the rootbeer I want too.

keciga1
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
The boat I wanted to go on out here in the bay area is a little slow and It might take us a couple of hours to get to the fishing grounds, so I belive it's gonna be on the NSA. Does anyone know what the price is for squid on the NSA?

derrickrosare
01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I believe its $85. Not 100% pos though

fishguts
01-09-2007, 12:21 AM
I believe its $85. Not 100% pos though

[smiley=undecided.gif] At that price I may have to think it over a bit. I knew it was not for free or anything like that but that seems a bit steep.

fishguts
01-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Looks like they want $80 for the day. I think I am gonna pass afterall. That turns into a $200+ day >:(for me and my son. Can't justify it at home. :'(

derrickrosare
01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah price is up there! Prob because of the gas. I have been on live bait trips that were cheaper!

salmonkng
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
what do you guys use for squid and what kind of gear >>> :)

thanks.. :o

keciga1
01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
what do you guys use for squid and what kind of gear >>> :)

thanks.. :o

You would use a heavy stiff rod wih a high speed or two speed reel with at least 40lb line. To catch the squid you can use squid jigs or preffered jigs as long as they are large. The squid jigs are 24oz just to give you an idea. If you go back one page (pg.3) I poste a picture of the jig.

kurt916
01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I went out of Bodega on New Sea Angler 12/30/06. I'm signed up to go this Saturday the 13th with a buddy. I think the price was $80 for the trip. Rod rental $10. Purchase 1.5 pound squid jig $23.

The price of the trip in my opinion is well worth it. Because the boat has to go out 20-30 miles, and the deck hands work very hard. You as a fishing person get a unique experience you will never forget. For me, it was the hardest fishing I have experienced thus far in my life. I was hauling squid up from up to 700 feet down. I was wiped out for the next 2 days due to using muscles I didn't know existed.

All that being said. I landed 12 squid that day, all in the ranges of 20 - 50 pounds. I lost at least 4 at the surface, and many more on the long haul up. They are a VERY ferocious species. I would lose a squid at 300 feet... then jerk the jig a couple times only have the squid attack again. Was it the same squid? I'm willing to bet it was. I also witnessed squid attacking squid at the surface.

What did I learn? I think they like fast irregular movement. Case in point . The guy I was fishing next to landed 9 squid on deck before I landed 4. Rod he was using was rented single speed. He would drop his jig to the bottom, once he hit the bottom, he reeled up as fast as he could about 50 feet, then drop it again and wait for the jig to stop its descent. When it stopped, almost every time it was a squid.

Another thing I noticed. After I landed a squid and I tried to remove the jig, it bent in the middle a bit. So now I had a bent foot long jig. I'm not kidding, it worked better.

Anyhow, I have done more research since my last trip. I am itching to go this weekend. I have purchased some new hand made in the USA jigs that are called candycatchers. The hook basket is about 2 times the size of the jig I was using. They don't sell them here local yet, so I got them by emailing the site directly.

If you decide to go. Pack a lot of Gatorade, wear disposable cloths, and shoes (or wear full rain gear), and plan on not being able to move the next day.

ocean_314
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
If you have to jig a jig for those squid try the diamond jig with the silver reflective tape. When it get to the level where the squid are they hit it instantly and i mean instantly. Rig it up with 3 big treble hooks or with the squid hooks. or with 3 squid hooks and a big treble hook lol just to impress the boat.

żżż
01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I was at the tackle shop the other day picking up a few ahi usa giant squid jigs, and I happened to mention in passing that I was thinking of putting a large single hook at the end of the lure to increase my chances of holding on to the squid. They counter guy suggested that I don't do that. He said if DFG sees you with a rig like that, they could fine you for 'trying to catch rockfish'. Don't know if there's any validity to that though. Can they fine you for 'appearing' to break the reg's?

Not going to take my chances - I'll use the rigs as is...

BTW, I'm planning to use my all-purpose Penn 113h 4/0. I've got some pretty heavy braid on there, just hope I have enough line. It's mated to a fairly stiff rod. I'm just a little concerned about the long trawl up from the deep. My arms are aching just thinking about it!

keciga1
01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I went out of Bodega on New Sea Angler 12/30/06. I'm signed up to go this Saturday the 13th with a buddy. I think the price was $80 for the trip. Rod rental $10. Purchase 1.5 pound squid jig $23.

The price of the trip in my opinion is well worth it. Because the boat has to go out 20-30 miles, and the deck hands work very hard. You as a fishing person get a unique experience you will never forget. For me, it was the hardest fishing I have experienced thus far in my life. I was hauling squid up from up to 700 feet down. I was wiped out for the next 2 days due to using muscles I didn't know existed.

All that being said. I landed 12 squid that day, all in the ranges of 20 - 50 pounds. I lost at least 4 at the surface, and many more on the long haul up. They are a VERY ferocious species. I would lose a squid at 300 feet... then jerk the jig a couple times only have the squid attack again. Was it the same squid? I'm willing to bet it was. I also witnessed squid attacking squid at the surface.

What did I learn? I think they like fast irregular movement. Case in point . The guy I was fishing next to landed 9 squid on deck before I landed 4. Rod he was using was rented single speed. He would drop his jig to the bottom, once he hit the bottom, he reeled up as fast as he could about 50 feet, then drop it again and wait for the jig to stop its descent. When it stopped, almost every time it was a squid.

Another thing I noticed. After I landed a squid and I tried to remove the jig, it bent in the middle a bit. So now I had a bent foot long jig. I'm not kidding, it worked better.

Anyhow, I have done more research since my last trip. I am itching to go this weekend. I have purchased some new hand made in the USA jigs that are called candycatchers. The hook basket is about 2 times the size of the jig I was using. They don't sell them here local yet, so I got them by emailing the site directly.

If you decide to go. Pack a lot of Gatorade, wear disposable cloths, and shoes (or wear full rain gear), and plan on not being able to move the next day.

I can't wait, I'm super stoked. Would it help to have a fighting belt and harness?

kurt916
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I had a belt but didn't use it. I fished the rail all day. The trick is to bring the squid up at an even rate always keeping upward momentum. If you pump the rod the squid has the chance to pop off on the down stroke. What seemed to work best was using the rail, and the wave swell. As the boat went up, hold on tight, then on the down part of the swell reel as fast as you can. My left under arm area was sore and raw in areas at the end of the day.

As for the jigs. The bigger the hoop basket the better seems to me a good theory, as well as the silver metallic tape. I will post how the candycatchers work. Check them out at http://www.candycatchers.com/ look at the large jigs. I have the 1.5 pound jigs, with silver metallic tape. So far I am very impressed.

Other options would be to get a 16 oz diamond jig and wrap some metallic tape around it. I don't know if Rick Powers will allow that on his boat or not, because with that type of hook you will have a chance of catching rock fish. Cordell Banks is closed to rock fish catching.

Anyhow. If you want to go for combo trips, which I have debated doing. There are six pack boats that are going out for crab and squid. Thats a bit more money, but a little more personal.

http://www.blockbustercharters.com/
http://www.bodegabayfishing.com/

brownie
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I was booked on tomorrow's trip with the New Sea Angler. It was posponed until Saturday due to the weather. :-[

I guess it beats getting sick.

keciga1
01-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I was booked on tomorrow's trip with the New Sea Angler. It was posponed until Saturday due to the weather. :-[

I guess it beats getting sick.

Take lots of pictures and see if anyone uses braid and barbed hooks at the bottom of their jigs.

gmdcdvm
01-11-2007, 04:54 AM
If you guys are interested here is a link from another fishing message board.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=313&topic_id=16526 4&mesg_id=165264&page=

He says he'll pay for shipping, and the prices are stated as for "allcoast members". I wonder how strict he would be about that. He has a good prodcut and customer service for a new company. Its what they tend to use down south on squid trips, and they work really well.

Gerry

ocean_314
01-11-2007, 07:27 AM
I wnet out on the NSA twice last year. My first time squid fishing all i had where some diamond jigs that the NSA sold me a few years ago when the trip was cancled due to weather. The war clubs caught some rockfish on the first drop only because there was no squid there. Rockfish are stupid they hit anything, but when we where over squid the rockfish seem to be totally absent.
The second trip i wnet out with some buddies and we all had diamond jigs and it was ok to use them. The treble hooks did rip out a lot, that is why i am rigging up mine with squid hooks and a treble hook just for show.

kurt916
01-11-2007, 09:12 AM

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=313&topic_id=16526 4&mesg_id=165264&page=

He says he'll pay for shipping, and the prices are stated as for "allcoast members". I wonder how strict he would be about that. He has a good prodcut and customer service for a new company. Its what they tend to use down south on squid trips, and they work really well.

Gerry

I bought the 1.5 pound silvers. They come in a heavy duty tube, that makes the jigs easy to transport around. I also purchased a 60 pound wire leader to attach to the top of the jig. The wire leader has 4 hook baskets with glow beads on it as well.

I cant wait to try these things out! I'll be on The New Sea Angler this Saturday if anyone wants to check them out.

keciga1
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Gerry

I bought the 1.5 pound silvers. They come in a heavy duty tube, that makes the jigs easy to transport around. I also purchased a 60 pound wire leader to attach to the top of the jig. The wire leader has 4 hook baskets with glow beads on it as well.

I cant wait to try these things out! I'll be on The New Sea Angler this Saturday if anyone wants to check them out.

All I gotta say is lots of pictures.

Ivan