PDA

View Full Version : Digging Shellfish

sethonious
01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Is there any place that is safe/productive to dig for clams or cockels or other shellfish near San Francisco? I used to dig for geoducks all the time at Dillons and I haven't done it since I was about 8 years old. I miss shellfishing and could go for something different this weekend.

sethonious
01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Or if anyone knows of a good safe place to collect mussels. I am willing to listen.

Fish-on
01-10-2007, 08:47 AM
There are a few access points for mussels around Santa Cruz. Most access points are right off the HWY. You just have to walk down and go at low tide b/c durring high tide the rocks are underwater. They are big and taste great but you have to be careful cause during the summer months there is that red tide thing (or something) and you will get sick if you eat them.

I would look on Google earth for the access points alont HWY-1 and look for big rocks in the surf. They will hold the mussels.

Fishmom
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Scott Creek Beach north of Santa Cruz is a great spot, you just have to negotiate crossing the creek if it is flowing.

Fish_R_Us
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
We use to go clamming at the tidal areas from Burlingame down to Foster City back around years 85-90's. There are a number of restaurents and hotels that back up against the bayshore where the low tide exposes alot of muddy marsh type areas. The area next to the old drive-in at Burlingame was a good place. We also did good digging for those manilla clams (cockles) right at the San Mateo Bridge, under the fishing pier (which use to be the old San Mateo Bridge). The cockles were just under the mud, about 1-2 inches under. You had to look for the small slits in the mud for the cockles and also for the water squirts (for the geoducks and soft shell clams) just like Dillons Beach or Tomales Bay. I don't know how edible these bay clams are nowadays, but we never got sick back then (knock, knock). Just pay attention to the Red Tides in the summer/fall and I believe you still need the small metal (1 1/2") ring, or some type of measuring device when persuing these shellfish. A quick call the the DF&G may provide answers to the present condition of these bay clams.