PDA

View Full Version : WEAR THE DARNED PFD"S!!!

Jan_from_Humboldt
01-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Search continues for missing fisherman
Chris Durant/The Times-Standard
Article Launched: 01/09/2007 04:15:15 AM PST

A search for a fisherman who fell into the Smith River late Friday entered its fourth day Monday, with still no signs of the Crescent City man.

Commander Bill Steven, of the Del Norte County Sheriff's Department, said searchers were in the area Sunday using sonar to look for Chester Bolen, 39.

”We couldn't get anything solid,” Steven said.

Steven explained that Bolen and Steven Restad, 39, of Eugene, Ore., were fishing in a boat when the anchor came loose and got lodged in rocks under the water.

”The river's moving pretty quick,” Steven said.

Bolen tried to cut or dislodge the rope when the boat dipped, filled with water and the two men went in.

”That all happens really fast,” Steven said.

Restad saw Bolen having trouble near the Hiouchi Bridge when he last saw him.

Restad was able to make it to shore where other people rescued him.

The California Highway Patrol and Coast Guard assisted in the search Friday.

Steven said the commander of the Del Norte County Sheriff's Department's dive team was on the scene Monday assessing if it was safe to send divers into the water.

Peacekeeper
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
That sucks! I can see that happening, but how often do you really see drifters wear pfd's? I know I don't. Probabbly should.

Jan_from_Humboldt
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
one of those little c02 inflatable rigs would have saved a life.

65whaler
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
i invested in one of those co2 jobs a couple years ago, because i fish a fair amount alone, and i wouldn't wear a regular pfd. i throw that thing on everytime i get on the water now and i don't notice it until i get back to the dock. expensive, but comfy. hope to dog it never comes in handy.