PDA

View Full Version : Need rockfish charter boat suggestions

bassman408
05-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Need to plan a company fishing trip in July. Most likely will be for rockfish. I've only been out on couple trips, but out of Emeryville/Berkeley area.

Looking for any suggestions for charter boats out of Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz if possible. If anyone here can chime in on their past experience with charter boats in these areas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Flow
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
how miny people
check out BOSS HOGG

nayr
05-24-2012, 07:08 PM
not sure about hmb but there is only one boat outta santa cruz. i think the boat is called the velocity but i think they operate under the name stagneros. whats steering you away from booking out of berkeley again?

fishwishin
05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I really like the California Dawn. Give them a look:
California Dawn - Fishing, Private Parties, Tours in the SF Bay & Pacific Ocean (http://www.californiadawn.com/)
:cool:

slick88
05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=bassman408;869391]Need to plan a company fishing trip in July. Most likely will be for rockfish. I've only been out on couple trips, but out of Emeryville/Berkeley area.

Looking for any suggestions for charter boats out of Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz if possible. If anyone here can chime in on their past experience with charter boats in these areas, I'd really appreciate it.
QUOTE]

If you want a HMB boat, I'd recommend the Tigerfish for rockfishing. I've always had limits of rockfish on this boat.

Tigerfish Sportfishing (http://www.tigerfishsportfishing.com/)

Jfitalia
05-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Greatest boat i'm HMB is the queen of hearts

fishing925
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
California Dawn is the best.

Pintail
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
If I go on a puker it's Shims New Salmon Queen. Fastest boat in the fleet and he fishes.

newtothegame
05-29-2012, 11:52 PM
outta HMB i have to second Queen of Hearts .. great boat ... great crew ... im thinkin of going out on that boat myself in the next few weeks ... i dont feel like trailering mine to HMB ...

good luck!

untalan1
05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
If you want to get a boat and skipper for quality rockfish, the Kahuna out of moss landing.The skipper goes south to pt sur and really knows their fishing spots.Efren

bassman408
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am leaning towards Queen of Hearts or Tigerfish...been getting the most recommendations for those 2 boats.

newtothegame
05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
the last time i fished half moon bay i used my bass pole lol .. they fish mostly shallow water and QOH uses just squid and shrimp flies... but I usually use swim baits or irons .... great time for everyone and light line is ok .... i think i usually use 25 lb leader line but on my bass pole it is 50lb braid .... on my avet reel i have 65lb braid ... watch snags with the braid ... dont put your fingers near that line when you snag .. it will cut your finger to the bone quick :) ....

i love shallow water rockfishing ... way fun .. and the catch and release is easier on the fish too ..

good luck!

PapaGreg
05-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Never been empty-handed after a day of fishing on the Queen of Hearts, just listen to the captain/crew and take their advice.