PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done this?

nvthis
05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I had an old neighbor that used to tell me about this all the time. I have never done it myself, but over the years I have talked to a few that said they have heard of it it..

Take a trout (3 lbs is good) and gut it clean. Take a large piece of chicken wire and lay the fish on it and fold the the chicken wire in half over the fish. Press down kind of firmly around the fish (so the wire takes on the shape of the fish) and loosely fold the edges over to secure. Coat the whole thing in an uber thick layer of mayo. Place in a scorching hot wood fire until the entire outside of fish is burnt black. Unfold the chicken wire and the burnt up skin and mayo will stick to it as it unfolds, leaving the perfectly cooked fish completely skinless in the center..

Would love to confirm this technique, but I guess I may have to try it myself to find out...

BIG_ONE
05-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes this works. Mayo have the tendency to seal moisture, heat, and the same time giving a mouthful of flavor. They also burn real quick as well. But the coating of the mayo will prevent the fish from burning itself. What you can do as an addition to give better flavor is lightly rub the fish with kosher salt and garlic powder or just garlic salt all together. Melt the butter in a pan along with some olive oil and drizzle it all over the fish. Add some black pepper if you like the flavor of black pepper on your fish. From there you can coat the fish with mayo, the thicker the better.
One important thing when cooking whether it is fish or anything for that matter. There is no boundary or language barrier to cooking food in general. Just get the right combination to taste and voila!
:129fs238648:

nvthis
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Do you suppose this will work over a BBQ? As I understood it, it basically went into the hottest coals of a camp fire... Guess I could put it right down into the coals, but the mayo might extinguish them.. Thanks for the idea of adding spices before the mayo. Excellent thought!

Steve079
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Interesting recipe, I'd be concerned about the chicken wire. If its galvanized, and it goes on the hot coal, I'd be afraid it could release the toxic stuff into the fish. Zinc, I think. Same concern with people using galvanized garbage cans as barrel cookers. Maybe not, but be careful.

nvthis
07-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Interesting recipe, I'd be concerned about the chicken wire. If its galvanized, and it goes on the hot coal, I'd be afraid it could release the toxic stuff into the fish. Zinc, I think. Same concern with people using galvanized garbage cans as barrel cookers. Maybe not, but be careful.

So noted.. And good point..

Jetspray
07-30-2012, 05:42 AM

Yep Steve you need to use the cheapo wire that rusts. Me I do the same thing with aluminum foil, just make sure you poke a bunch of holes in the foil first (I have a comb type tool that I use when doing this)..........Jetspray

Marv
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
It's not the totally the same thing, but I like to coat boneless skinless chicken breast with mayo and parmesan cheese before I bake it. You can also mix in a packet of french onion soup mix into the mayo. Dang it now I'm hungry, lol.