PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill tacos

nvthis
05-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Would love to swap out some serious recipes.. Here's mine..

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/nvthis-albums-stuff-picture10846-2012-0527may27-20120002.jpg

Fried Bluegill fillets

I like panko. I rinse the fillets and dredge in seasoned flour (however you like to mix your flour is perfect). Then soak in tarragon egg wash (1 egg, and 2 parts water, a bit of tarragon). Once it has soaked for a minute or so, place in panko and coat. Quickly fry in peanut oil until golden brown.

Place fillets on fried or steamed corn tortillas. Add pineapple salsa, acidulated cabbage and mexican fish sauce. These tacos are freakin killer. Enjoy!

Pineapple salsa

Add 1 cup of your favorite salsa, one small can crushed pineapple, juice from half a lime and half a minced serrano to pan. Fry off liquid. Veggies in salsa should be cooked off soft. Set aside to cool, then chill for a few hours.

Acidulated cabbage

Fine shred cabbage and put in a bowl. Use the juice from the other half lime from the salsa. Mix well.

Mexican fish sauce

1 half cup mayo thinned down with juice from 1 large lime. Add about 2 TBSP fine chopped cilantro. Add 2 tsp white sugar (to taste)

Supra primo

WLShafor
05-28-2012, 10:03 PM
That sounds amazing however I think I would use a mild salsa. Thanks for the share by the way I posted I believe two or three recipes. One of them is a crawl-dad chowder and then the other one is a Parmesan Bluegil very delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvthis
05-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I saw that bluegill parm and it looked hella good and already planned to try that one next time around.. I'll have to look around for the chowder. That sounds really good.

flip1199
10-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Nice recipe.

Made the bluegill tacos tonight with some salsa from a local taqueria. Only had 1 bluegill so I also used a bass and my girl like the bass better.

nvthis
10-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Nice recipe.

Made the bluegill tacos tonight with some salsa from a local taqueria. Only had 1 bluegill so I also used a bass and my girl like the bass better.

Hey Flip, we use spotted bass with that recipe as well, but because of the USDA portion restrictions (mercury) that's a rare dish.

To us, the spotted bass are head and shoulders above LM and SM bass for the table. However, there is little restriction on the Bluegill, and the flavor/texture is really very similar. It's a pretty good match in our experience.

Glad you guys enjoyed it!