PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley trout/kokanee

ragen
05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
It's been too long since I have had a weekend like this one. Arrived at UVR Friday morning ready to camp for the long weekend. Spent the first two days inside waiting for the rain and snow to slow down, Friday was a steady mix of snow and rain so no fishing that day. Saturday was solid rain and snow. Hit Ice House from shore on Saturday at the back of the lake and caught one on power bait then had to retreat due to the weather.

Sunday morning was a little cold but at least the sun was out. Hit UVR around 10 and caught 5 in about an hour down by the pump house. Trolled counter clock wise and once my line was over the shallow peninsula I put the motor in neutral to allow the line to slowly drop deeper. This worked well for the kokes. Lost a few trying to teach my little guys how to bring a gish to the boat and net it. Went back out in the evening and again Monday morning and limits could have easily been caught. Fish were a mix of kokes and rainbows.

Spinners did not work at all, neither did kastmasters. Most fish were caught a watermelon Seps and a worm or a black wolley bug all top lined. Some boats were using downriggers and said 20ft was the magic number.

bsmith95610
05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm heading out to Union Valley this weekend and have never fished there or fished for landlocked salmon. Were the salmon biting on the seps with a worm or was that just the trout? I have had good luck with that setup at other lakes for trout but was wondering what I could use to troll from salmon.

ragen
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
The Kokanee hit on both the worm with a dodger and just a wooley bug with a sinker both top lined. The boats with downriggers were also catching them about 30ft down. It is not the way I normally target Kokanee but it did work. If you want to target kokanee I would bring some shoe peg corn and tip a wedding ring etc...

My main goal was to get the fish in the boat so I was okay with the easier catch of trout and some kokanee mixed in was a just a bonus. Over the years I have been told various spots top go to target the fish but this was the best trip I have had. For some reason the powerhouse area was the best. Troll counter clockwise across the shallow peninsula, once you get around the middle of the bouys you will see some water bubbling up. Drop it in neutral and let it sink for a minute then put it back in gear. most passes it resulted in a fish.

bsmith95610
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info I'll let you know how I do.

pcwa_guy
06-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a worthy trip!!