PDA

View Full Version : Jenkinson Lake - 5/28/12

Cali Duck
05-29-2012, 10:47 AM
On our way home from Tahoe, some family and I decided to make a pit stop to Sly Park for a quick fishing trip, as we had zero luck at Fallen Leaf Lake.

We found a nice spot for banking near the Hazel Campground area and put our lines in with Chartreuse powerbait. Within 10 minutes of putting in, one of us already had 1 on. It's a rainbow keeper, so he strings it and casts back in. Again, fish on within 5 minutes. This happens 3 more times before I ask "Dude, what am I doing wrong here?!" He fills me in that he's using a 4-5 foot leader. I was only using about 2.5 feet. So I lengthen my leader and put back in. Nothing. He fills me in that I'm not to hold the rod, but set it up such that there is no slack in the line. Once the line goes limp, tighten up and set the hook. Well, he was right! I was getting bites the hole time and missing them because I didn't feel anything. After a few missed bites, I landed two keepers for dinner that evening. In total we hooked about 10 rainbows and kept 5. I felt especially proud to nab the bandit that stole all my bait. His gut was FILLED with powerbait!

So glad my buddy filled me in on the technique. In speaking with some other anglers out there, they came back with nothing. Maybe they were fishing like me ;) They were stunned to see our catch and proceeded to the point where we caught them.

miwokfisher
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
nice job,went up there saturday fer a couple easy limits

Cali Duck
05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
nice job,went up there saturday fer a couple easy limits

All rainbows?

CAL.NDN
05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
All rainbows?

Miwoks internet is down i believe. So i will answer this for you yes all bows

DWdrum
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I know that spot. We just camped at Hazel Creek. We're using pink and green power bait, caught a couple that size. Were you at the "point" or were you at the picnic tables?

This is the trail to the point

theneo08
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
That's a different technique I will have to give it a try. Were you using a slip sinker or bobber fishing?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Cali Duck
06-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I know that spot. We just camped at Hazel Creek. We're using pink and green power bait, caught a couple that size. Were you at the "point" or were you at the picnic tables?

This is the trail to the point

The point I believe, its about 8 feet above the water (at the time) and has a nice drop off. Chartreuse power bait on slip sinker!

Cali Duck
06-21-2012, 07:47 AM
That's a different technique I will have to give it a try. Were you using a slip sinker or bobber fishing?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Slip sinker or crimp ons. The guys next to us were bobber fishing and caught zero the whole time we were there. Boy were they giving us some dirty looks!