PDA

View Full Version : How about sole and flounder in Tomales Bay?

Uncle_Sam
12-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I was looking at the listof no limit species in the regulations and noticed that there is no limit on petrale sole, starry flounder and sand dabs. I have a book with fishing maps of the coast *that says "sand sole" are caught in Tomales Bay. *I have no idea whether this is true or what "sand sole" are. This time of year people with small boats, like me, need a sheltered water. Has anybody ever caught sole or flounder in Tomales Bay? *How about near the Golden Gate?

Fishbutt21
12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
I have fish inside tomales bay for many years and have never caught any sole or flounder but have caught them both out by the point or around the bell just outside the mouth of Tomales. Seems like they should be inside also

basil
12-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I was looking at the listof no limit species in the regulations and noticed that there is no limit on petrale sole, starry flounder and sand dabs. I have a book with fishing maps of the coast that says "sand sole" are caught in Tomales Bay. I have no idea whether this is true or what "sand sole" are. This time of year people with small boats, like me, need a sheltered water. Has anybody ever caught sole or flounder in Tomales Bay? How about near the Golden Gate?

I suspect the best time for flounder in Tomales is December, January. That's when they come into brackish bay water to spawn. The only Petale Sole I've seen was caught by my buddy in front of ten mile beach. They are extremely hard to tell apart from California Halibut. Petrale are known to mostly hang out in deep water and you don't hear of people catching them much.

Flounder used to be a very plentiful fish, but I suspect the high fecal counts in Tomales from the Elk, cattle and Lawsons has made things tough on some types of fish in Tomales. Bat Rays do pretty good there and some sharks. California Halibut can be good fishing in the middle of summer and there are some sturgeon. I have also done fair with rock crabs.