PDA

View Full Version : Bon Tempe 6/2

Lifted
06-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Since the weather stayed kinda cool, I thought I'd give Bon Tempe a shot this past Saturday. It was a big stretch for me, but I was out the door by 5:50am and arrived at the entrance gate at 6:34. I wasn't aware the gate isn't supposed to open until 7, but there were already other cars there, and fortunately someone opened it right as I pulled up. I headed across the dam over to a dropoff a few hundred yards up the shoreline from the dam on the shady side. Seemed like an ideal spot. I had two lines in the water just before 7, one with orange/chart power worm, and the other with pink power eggs. I started to get antsy and reeled in the power egg pole to try some lures. I started with a "rainbow" pattern Kastmaster(which actually kinda looks like firetiger pattern on a gold Kastmaster) and lost it after 5 min. Next I switched to an orange streamer fly behind a water bobber, no luck. Switched to a black wooly bugger, no luck. Finally switched back to white pb. During the time I was using the lure I got 1-2 very light bites on my power worm, but they were only nibbles. All-in-all I fished from 7-noon for nothing. It was frustrating because the fish continued to jump the whole time, but at about twice the distance I was casting too. I saw a few other anglers there as well, anyone else have any luck? I think my downfall is that I rarely relocate after hours of no action, but then again the fish were jumping 100yds offshore the entire time, so I know they're around...advice?

PS I also saw schools of hundreds of little 1" long fish along the shoreline. I figured the trout were feasting on these all day which is why they had no interest in my offerings. I tried a Kastmaster, black wooly bugger, an orange streamer, pink power eggs, garlic pb, chart pb, white(marshmallow) pb, chart/orange power worm and a sinking silver/black rapala.

And because everyone like pics... You would be able to see the wild turkeys in the middle if this was taken with a real cam instead of my phone...

GNappers
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Never had luck on the water bobber using black wooly bugger, orange grub, or power worms. Only had 1 follow by a nice fish on the grub but i think it was a smallie. Getting bites on lures has been tough for me at Bon Tempe but the best action has always been on gold castmaster. Briefly hooked a huge small mouth on a larger gold castmaster. I usually fish in between the two coves or park near Lagunitas and fish to first open meadow area. Water clarity is so clear which can make for a tough bite some times but it is so beautiful up there it can make the not catching not feel so bad. If you have a dog, get ready to remove multiple ticks. Rainbow, chartruese, or orange glitter are my favorite colors for power bait. I usually do well on white eggs or a brown worm with white or lime green eggs. If they haven't planted in a while getting bites can be really tough and sometimes those bites are crawdads.

LONO100
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
i spent last sunday morning up there with my gf and some friends. it was pretty warm, and we were only there for a few hours because one of my friends who went with us had to work a swing shift. we got there about 0730, and left right before noon. we didnt get a whiff of a fish. my gf, sister and friend were all still learning to fish so i spent a lot of the time baiting hooks and fixing tackle so i didnt really get a good shot at fishing, but i just enjoyed my morning out there, its really beautiful.

i dont think the fish are biting at the moment at bon tempe because there were a lot of anglers out there when i was there, and of all of us, only one guy caught a trout. one trout. usually bon tempe is a pretty easy place to clean up, but they just werent biting this weekend. i want to try again in the next week or so.

crazyfisher
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
sorry to hear that you didn't get any trout. At least you try. Next time try what Gnapper mention, gold or copper kastmaster. Like Gnapper mention, lure hasn't been very effective this year for some reason. Also what I found work last time is the green pinched crawler. We have been using that lately and has been good. Only problem is that its 7 bucks for like 10 and it does get soft if left in the water but it floats really well. Dip it in some trout sauce and you will be good.

Also next time, I think I know what spot you are talking about but hike in some more and give it a try. On the shaddy side, there are limited spots but you should find some opening.

Depending on what test line you are using, try a lighter florocarbon 3-4 lb line. Good luck next time and good job on helping your buddies out :)

we might try Bon tempe this weekend but also considering berryessa.

Ihavegills
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Inflate a worm 2-3' off the bottom. Something will eat it.

Lifted
06-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Inflate a worm 2-3' off the bottom. Something will eat it.

That sounds ominous lol. Is there a place north of the GG bridge to pick up worms? I have a worm blower and I used to get them all the time at Walmart, but there aren't any of those between me(SF) and Bon Tempe.

crazyfisher
06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
That sounds ominous lol. Is there a place north of the GG bridge to pick up worms? I have a worm blower and I used to get them all the time at Walmart, but there aren't any of those between me(SF) and Bon Tempe.

yeah it suck that Western closed down in San Rafael. That is the only place that my gf friend get her worms. Now when we go to bon tempe, we pick up a few tub for her in Rohnert Park at Outdoor Pro or Walmart to give to her.

As for places around San Rafael, I'm not sure. A quick look at yellowpage reveals:

Loch Lomond Live Bait House
110 Loch Lomond Drive, San Rafael, CA 94901

which is going the opposite direction from San Anselmo.

Ihavegills
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Western Boat and Tackle on Third Street in San Rafael (Before Loch Lomand) has minis and full size. Get the minis. #14 hook. 3' up a tiny weight. Crack a beer.

alexdesignz
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Western Boat and Tackle on Third Street in San Rafael (Before Loch Lomand) has minis and full size. Get the minis. #14 hook. 3' up a tiny weight. Crack a beer.

They are closed for good...