PDA

View Full Version : Hell hole help

g-town_fisher
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I am thinking about going to hell hole for the first time with my boat. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use ? Im really not to picky on fish (browns,Kokanee,Mack's,etc)I will be taking my daughters with me and just want to have a chance on catching something we can BBQ . Thank you so much for any help.

tinytrout
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I have fished the Hole for over Twenty years and I have caught som large Mack,s in there 15 to 20lb class on swim baits and Rapalas but you need down riggers this time of year. Flasher and crawlers work well also. The fishing can be tought at times for Koke,s because I think the Mack,s are just devouring them. It is one of their favorite foods. But if you are persistant you should be able to pull something out of there. Also be careful because the wind can come up in a matter of minutes and make the lake a dangerous place. keep youre life vest handy.

Good luck

CRABBY
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
last thread......

http://www.fishsniffer.com/kokanee-cohos-kings/97970-hell-hole.html

pcwa_guy
06-14-2012, 09:10 PM
We fished HH last week, we pulled out 2 limits of Kokes that day by 11am. Wedding rings/Dodger from 30ft to 50ft. :jumping-smiley-011:

SpaceFish
06-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Re the wind... take it seriously. I've seen that lake go from calm and flat to 3 foot white-topped waves within 30 minutes. It has something to do with the very deep canyon and hot air.

Surfcaster1
06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Drive with caution and watch the pot holes bring a spare or two boat and truck. and i can't stress the wind as others have done we have lost several fisherpersons to this lake don't just keep your life jackets close by keep them on !!!

AlbeeFishing
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
So true. the times the wind is bad is like any other mountain lake morning is a 50/50 chance. The mid day is garenteed. You can normally hid from it in the upper part of the lake. It only normally lasts about an hour or so but some times it can last for longer. Be safe. Great fishing.

StokeyBob
06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I used to canoe pretty regular in Hell Hole. I remember watching the wind while I was fishing. If you play it right, or just wait long enough, you can catch it going your way.

Then there were times it would catch you and you would just have to go the direction that was safer from getting swamped. The rails of a canoe aren't' that far above the waterline even without wake. Once that took you to the shore it wasn't usually to bad hugging the shoreline to stay out of it.

There is a nice primitive campground at the other end. Try to keep in mind bears may be around.

P.S. I was thinking the wind would tend to travel up the river canyon and lake. Maybe that was as it warmed up in the day. I'm pretty sure there were times it reversed and took me back to the dam and parking area. Maybe that was when things cooled down. I'm also thinking dead calm early in the morning and late in the evening. I've found that pretty much at most lakes canoeing.

StokeyBob
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I am thinking about going to hell hole for the first time with my boat. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use ? Im really not to picky on fish (browns,Kokanee,Mack's,etc)I will be taking my daughters with me and just want to have a chance on catching something we can BBQ . Thank you so much for any help.

It is a beautiful place. Fish seemed far and in between up there.

Maybe make sure you take something to barbecue...and than there is the Jiffy Pop and marshmallows. (Jiffy Pop cooking while camping is an art in itself. It burns over a Coleman stove without anything between it to distribute the heat.)