PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Trip Recommendation? 4 Days Adventure...Advise Please :-)

crazyfisher
06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey guys. I will be heading up there toward the end of June and staying there through 4 of July. First time over on the 395. Any recommendation? fishing? sight seeing? any day trip recommendation?

I think my buddy is bring his raft with a trolling motor but mostly will be bank fishing.

Any info is greatly appreciated and of course will post a report with pictures when I come back :) looking forward to it, need the RR.

Bmo
06-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Hey guys. I will be heading up there toward the end of June and staying there through 4 of July. First time over on the 395. Any recommendation? fishing? sight seeing? any day trip recommendation?

I think my buddy is bring his raft with a trolling motor but mostly will be bank fishing.

Any info is greatly appreciated and of course will post a report with pictures when I come back :) looking forward to it, need the RR.

The fishing on 395 can be stellar. Im heading up to bishop at the end of july for a week. Fantastic fishing up there. Good luck to you

RideNfish
06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
All kinds of fishing over there. But be aware it's a high desert climate. So will get toasty during the day and nights can be cold. But usually that time of year is pretty nice. Here are some links you can click on.

You can fish Twin Lakes 13 miles (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.149543,-119.37531&num=1&t=h&z=14) out of Bridgeport. The Walker River has a trophy trout section below Bridgeport Dam (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.338055,-119.208233&num=1&t=h&z=15) but is barbless/artificial (read up on the regs I haven't given you enough to fish legally). Then you have the Walker in the Levitt Meadows (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.328326,-119.551274&num=1&t=h&z=16) area and also this section (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.347193,-119.532133&num=1&t=h&z=16). Then the Walker by the town of Coleville (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=walker+burger&hl=en&ll=38.514762,-119.466748&spn=0.026494,0.045576&sll=38.541419,-119.496703&sspn=0.013242,0.022788&hq=walker+burger&t=h&z=15). Must eat at Walker Burger mmmmmm All that river as you head north on 395 is fishing.

I thinks a must do IMO is the ghost town of Bodie Bodie State Historic Park, Bodie SHP, Bodie State Park - Bodie.com (http://www.bodie.com/) It's a 13 mile dirt road but is a state park so easy travel. Always loved it as a kid and still stop by there from time to time on motorcycle trips. Here are some images of the place. Of course the website has them too but this was easier (https://www.google.com/search?q=bodie+state+park&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=91G&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=enPbT4iuFOW_2QWko_jUCA&ved=0CGEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1443&bih=892).

One thing really neat about over there. You can be in desert one minute and a aspen tree lined lake climate in a mile or two. Other interest might be (I'm done with links) Mono Lake, June Lake Loop (five lakes in an oasis) Mammoth Mountain.

Phwooh, that was more work than I anticipated. I need to get back to the honey do list.
:superhero5yh:
I'm sure others will give you better details.
Please share when you get back.

crazyfisher
06-15-2012, 10:44 AM
thanks ridenfish for the great information :-)

saizo
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
i used to camp the green creek area off 395. they no longer plant this campground so your best bet for stream fishing is going to be robinson creek. its the creek that flows out of twin lakes. salmon eggs and worms work well here. there are first come first serve campgrounds here as well as reservation spots. the twin lakes area has a laudrymat and showers. during the summer months robinson gets planted every week just about, and u should have no problem catching a limit. bank fishing can be good at the twin lakes. the side that the road goes along is one of the deeper sides of the lake. ive done good fishing this side. steep dropoffs make it so u dont have to cast out far. plus you always have a chance to catch a trophy brown. the area where ride was talking about where the walker comes out of bridgeport res can be good also at times. barbless and artificial is only allowed here. this stretch of river is populated with browns and LCT's. there are tons of places to fish in that area. my dad bought a map last time we were up there at the ranger station. it showed all the lakes and creeks to fish. one crazy spot is lobe dell lake i believe its called. its one of the only spots in cali where u can catch a greyling. bring the smallest flys u have most of the fish are small and they have super small mouths.

Nighthawk
06-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Buckeye Creek is a good place also. Take the road to Twin Lakes and the road to Buckeye is on your right (I think its the first right). park just past the second bridge, cross over the creek and walk down what I think is the south side. Several holes along the way but the most productive is the one under the trees by the metering station. Just down stream and across from that is a hot spring that is worth taking the time to soak in for awhile.

It would take too long to cover all the different opportunities around Bridgeport. Besides what's been talked about, there is Virginia Lakes, Lundy and the June Lakes loop. There's also some decent places to eat in Bridgeport including the Rhino, Micheala's, Bridgeport Inn and Hayes St. Cafe.

Stop by Ken's Sporting Goods for good up to date info when you get there.

To me, there is no finer area for fishing and relaxation than the Bridgeport area. Enjoy your trip, please report back and don't forget the pics.

toomanyhobbies
06-18-2012, 07:17 AM
+ 1 on Buckeye with the addition of Robinson Creek as well. Can be a little crowded for stream fishing but there both pretty productive and beautiful. If you into camping there are campgrounds along alot of Robinson letting you just walk out of camp and start in the morning. Only a few miles outside of town and minutes away from Twin Lakes.

Bodie , Mono Lake, Devils Postpile or Tioga Pass would all be worthy day trips in my opinion. If your into history and feel like a bit further of a drive Manzanar is also down there. Its an old Japanese internment camp from WW2 and they just opened a new museum. Scary reminder of what a government can do to its people even in the greatest country in the world.

Last suggestion would be if your in Bishop and love bread go in and load up at Schats Bakery. Its a mandatory stop anytime im close. Monkey bread and chili cheese bread are personal favs. Enjoy the trip it really is beautiful country on 395.

mariahpup
06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Already some great info posted...you might want to make a short run to Virginia Lakes area...short drive out of Bridgeport...the scenery in outstanding and the fishing is usually very good from the bank...they have a lodge there...stop in and ask which lake is producing best...they are nice folks as well...good luck and have a great trip..they have a lot going on in that area during the 4th of July...check the Mono county website for more info...Mariahpup

Captain Compassion
06-19-2012, 07:43 AM
All this info is gollden. Bridgeport is an epicenter for trout fishing.

CC

crazyfisher
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
thanks everyone for their detail suggestion. I'm already excited and can't wait. I need to make a checklist of things to see and go. :fishing1:

crazyfisher
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
any tips on fishing over there? Is the method pretty much the same as the lakes? I know I'll be trying everything in my tackle box. I'll be heading to the fisherman warehouse to stock up so any go to lure or bait to pick up while I am there.

I know I need to pick up a few more fly lure to try out.

Thanks again for all your suggestion. One more week and counting down :)

toomanyhobbies
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
For the streams i've always used single egg hook, couple split shots and a jar of eggs. I've got tons of lures and it always seems that when it really comes down to it i end up fishing with eggs and killing it. New kid and busy schedule will most likely prevent me from getting on that side of the hill this year so i am supremely jealous of the trip. best of luck.

insearchoffish
06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Good work on all the replies sniffers. I was pumped someone finally had a ? about an area I used to frequent anything I could add is already here. I personally do best with worms, weather at buckeye, twinlakes or my favorite for mass #'s of fish but not huge is Virgina Lake. I troll flashers and a worm 75ft back of my kayak and always catch lots of fish. Good luck and have fun there for me, wont be going this year :(