PDA

View Full Version : lake alpine 6-16

IRISHANGLER01
06-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Went back up to Alpine on Sat. got there around 5 and set up camp over by the dam. Caught around 25 planters by 10:30 or so and then it went completely dead. we left by noon. Fish were biting hard and the fish were decent sized planters once again. Same thing, sliding sinker rig with 4' leader and orange and chartreuse power or gulp eggs.This weekend chartreuse seemed to produce just as much as the orange.casting distance has been the same, about 30 yards out.

RideNfish
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the report IA,
I have a question. Do you think the fish are close enough to the surface to employ some wooly bugger magic behind a bobber? Just wasn't sure if the high mountain lakes were still producing close to the surface.

Thanks,

IRISHANGLER01
06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Ya it might be worth a try. They were top feeding heavily early in the morning when the sun first broke. I have never seen anyone use the float and fly up there but I do see a lot of fly fishermen catching fish doing their thing so give it a shot.

dude
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
It's also a very nice motorcycle ride this time of year. I go from Murphys up that hill to escape the heat. I had a 24 fish day 2 weeks ago.
Dude

RideNfish
06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
It's also a very nice motorcycle ride this time of year. I go from Murphys up that hill to escape the heat. I had a 24 fish day 2 weeks ago.
Dude

You're telling me. I ride that Ebbett's pass all the time. I like going over to Markleeville and having lunch at the deli then ride back home over Sonora Pass (Hwy 108).

When you had your 24 fish day, where you fishing Alpine?

dude
06-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I have a little cabin in Tamarack that had septic issues and I rode the cycle up to oversee the repair. Took them till 1 to get it resolved but then it was a short scoot over to Alpine. It was Wednesday the 6th. I like the east shore, parking by Pine Martin campground I hiked over to that end of the lake and set up on the rocks that shoot out into the lake there. I like salmon egg PB on a 4-5' leader and they were thick in there. I broke off in the rocks on my 2nd pole after about 6 fish and I said to myself I'll tie 6 leaders before I put that pole back out. The fish had other ideas as I couldn't get the leaders tied for catching fish. I finally finish #6 at fish 22. The 2nd pole caught the last 2. It only took 2 hours. What fun. They were all normal size F&G planters. There was a fair amount of surface activity so I'm sure you could work the bubble/fly.
Dude