PDA

View Full Version : Canning Kokanee

FUZZ
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Dug out my pressure cooker (Splendid brand...not sure of size, maybe 8-10 qt.). Could you guys point me to the canning procedure for Kokanee. I have pint jars and the cooker can hold 4. Not sure about the sequence of events:

The jars are clean so do I heat the empty jars with boiling water before putting fish in? I've read that I should fill the jars about 3/4 full, packed down, and then put the lid on and finger tighten. Can the jars be room temperature when you pack them?

Then about 2-3 inches water in the cooker?

Then use medium burner on my gas stove to get steam going and adjust to a steady steam?

Cook for 90 minutes, then turn off burner and let set until cool? (My cooker runs at 15psi)

Do I have to add water or salt to the fish? (for this first batch I would like just plain fish)

Thanks for your help!

Fuzz

CATKILLER
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Check, youtube on canning fish there is some good videos
Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

CK :bbq1:

FUZZ
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks Catkiller,
I found a long You Tube video from Alaska Cooperative Extension that showed the whole process. Tomorrow we can!

The smaller size of the kokes in Bullards Bar (nearest to me) are best utilized by canning. Fortunately, they are in excellent condition and plentiful.

Fuzz

CATKILLER
06-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Thanks Catkiller,
I found a long You Tube video from Alaska Cooperative Extension that showed the whole process. Tomorrow we can!

The smaller size of the kokes in Bullards Bar (nearest to me) are best utilized by canning. Fortunately, they are in excellent condition and plentiful.

Fuzz

Nice to see that youtube helped you out
good luck on the canning.

CK :signfishon34hi6zv:

Steve079
06-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I've done more then a few batches, this is what I've learned. You want your jars sterile, so you usually boil them. Plus, packing them hot lets the pressure cooker get up to temp faster, as the glass takes time to heat up. I do 100 minutes at 15 pounds. I leave a generous inch of room in the jar, wipe off the rim to get it clean. You should have your lids in hot water, place it on the jar and just snug the band. (It's like doing a wheel bearing, lol). Follow your pots directions for water level.

Put on the lid, set the weight on, and turn it on. I start on high, and then turn down the heat to just keep the weight gently rocking. when times up, take it off the heat, wait for the pressure to drop, remove the weight, and then the lid. Take out the jars, and the bands should be a bit more loose. I snug them a bit more, and then let them cool, and you may hear the pop of the lids locking down. Once they have cooled, check them for a good seal. Eat the ones that don't seal, or vacuum bag and freeze.

I use smoked kokes, 2 tsps water, and a couple dried Thai peppers.

Nice thing about small kokes. I just cut off the head, tail, and fins. cut them into chunks that fit in your jars. You can pull off any remaining fins, and the canning will soften the bones so you can't tell you are eating them. But, my kids did not like the look of the sections of spine (think grubs), so I now take a few minutes to quickly pull out the back bone after smoking. It comes right out, and is more appetizing for some.

Its a lot of work, but you'll get a lot of compliments on the finished product. We use it for Koke Kakes, a take off of crab cakes, bruscetta, or, maybe my favorite, use it like tuna for sandwiches. Also good right out of the jar, with some ice cold beer, watching a game.

Do you know, what Walruses and people that can have in common????

They both want a nice, tight, seal.....

FUZZ
06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
HA!!

Thanks Steve! I'm watching steam coming off my cooker as I type. I also dug out my Townsend Fish Skinner and skinned the little buggers.

I like to use canned kokes like tuna too. At 63, I'm trying to be a bit more healthy and switched from regular mayo to Grapeseed Vegenaise (Whole Foods and health food stores). Tastes just like mayo....maybe it'll help me squeeze out another koke season :)

Growing up, my next door neighbor liked to fish for Albacore. She would can them and it was the best canned tuna you ever ate. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to the ocean, but then I'd miss the kokes!

I'm heading to Donner Lake next week. Have you ever canned Mackinaw?

Fuzz

Steve079
06-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Just kokes and rainbows.