PDA

View Full Version : Panfish Poppers rock fish

MB_Kevin
11-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Here are some pic of rock fish pafish popper has caught. I was wondering what kind they were. :-?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7699/redfishex5.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1517/1000080vq2.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9924/1000101gh7.jpg

FishnRN
11-22-2006, 12:34 AM
They look like the kind you make fish taco's out of ;D ;D ;D
I have no clue!

-Ben

grendl
11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
i think that the red one is a kelp greenling not sure about the green one

GCinGV
11-22-2006, 07:05 AM
The red ones are Rock Greenling.
GC

CORN
11-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Yes, the red one is definitely a greenling. I believe they have to be 12inches to keep. The other one might be a grass rockfish, but it's hard to tell without a good side view.

MinnowMagnet
11-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Here are some pic of rock fish pafish popper has caught. I was wondering what kind they were. :-?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7699/redfishex5.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1517/1000080vq2.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9924/1000101gh7.jpg

The red ones are rock greenling and the green one is a grass rockfish.

P.S. Where did you catch them?

MB_Kevin
11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes, the red one is definitely a greenling. *I believe they have to be 12inches to keep. *The other one might be a grass rockfish, but it's hard to tell without a good side view.

All were let go...most rockfish are too pretty to keep :P It might have been 12" but was still let go. the green one was big and a couple of those were caught.

Thanks for all the help. I never know what these rock fish are because there seem to be alot. that Is why we let them all go unless I have someone around who knows what they are. I figure they have to be 12" for any then 18" for a cab and 24" for a ling but then there are the times of year and all so Unless I'm sure we let them go. I think they are fun.

MinnowMagnet
11-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Monkey face eel: No limit
Rockfish: 10 per person(Bocaccio 10" min.)
Greenling: 12" min. 1 per person(counts toward rockfish limit)
Cabezon: 15" min. 1 per person (counts toward rockfish limit)
Lingcod: 24" min. 2 per person
Kelpfish: no limit

Rusty_Hooks
11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
MB....They have these vinyl sheet identifiers for rockfish at most shops

They help out quite a bit where it is becoming a necessary to have a fisheries degree to fish ;) ::)

Farrier_Frank
11-23-2006, 03:49 PM
They look like the kind you make fish taco's out of ;D ;D ;D
I have no clue!

LOL, FishnRN, my exact sentiments... they all look like fish tacos to me, too. I've looked at the books and read all the reports on rock fishing and I'm dam sure not going rock fishing for the first time without someone who knows what fish is what; I've read too many reports about guys who blew it and showed back on shore facing the Warden and then crying the blues in court. [smiley=duh.gif]

I did get to go poke-poll fishing for the first time last summer, though, and I caught a couple of fish that looked just like the ones Panfish caught and was told they were greenling... but the old guy (who grew up there) that took me fishing said the locals called them seatrout... I've been fishing trout all my life and I never saw a trout that looked like that[smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

Nope! I'm not going rock fishing till I get a ride with someone who knows the difference between the orange fish that's good in tacos and the orange fish that's gonna cost me $600 bucks and a day in court. ;)

Fort_Bragger
11-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I haven't heard a Greenling called a Sea Trout for a long time, but yep, the old timer was right. I spent a lot of time as a boy around Salt Point State Park, and that's what my family always called them. It wasn't until formal regulations were printed that I knew of the legal name....Ben.

Rusty_Hooks
11-23-2006, 05:27 PM
bleeecchhh.................

I said to myself, when I saw the picture..."self, that looks like a sea trout".....

but not having my fishery's expertise close at hand wasn't going to say anything :-[

Who knows...tomorrow they'll change all the names to up the revenue base :P

GCinGV
11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
They help out quite a bit where it is becoming a necessary to have a fisheries degree to fish ;) ::)
Thats no joke. And don't forget the law degree to interpret the regs.

Hey Frank If I ever get a chance to go out again I'll fix you up buddy.

Farrier_Frank
11-23-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL, Fort Bragger and Rusty. The funny part of that story about fishing with the "old guy" is he's a good friend and the same age as me (60). He grew up fishing those waters and knows the regs. He called me and told me about a minus tide and said if I ever wanted to meet a monkey faced ell it-was-now-or-never. I grabbed my youngest son and Meatloaf and headed that way. We hiked a few miles across the bluffs overlooking the sea and hiked down and down and down until we crossed a creek and eventually found the exposed rocks he was familiar with. He taught us how to find the holes and how to work the holes and how to cut the line when we brought a fish in, dropping them into the gunny sack and tying on a new leader. But he never said anything about a one-fish-limit concerning Sea Trout... and when we dumped our gunny sacks out on his cleaning table he rolled his eyes when I dumped out two Sea Trout... and then he gave me a lecture. At the time I had no idea. They looked like fish tacos to me and I blew it. [smiley=duh.gif]

P.S. If you're catching monkey faced ells throw the sea trout back. The flavor difference is like night and day as table fare, and I'd hate to get caught with an illegal fish barely suitable for tacos. ::)

MB_Kevin
11-24-2006, 12:51 AM

See that I why I didn't want us to keep it....I would have never known there was a 1 fish limit on them.

FF that is a funny story. I liked the eel too. I have never had a greenling.

Fort_Bragger
11-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Some Greenlings have blue or green tinted meat just like some Lings. *Being colorblind it doesn't matter much, but those "funny" colored one were tossed back on family fishing vacations for years way back. *Someone finally dropped one in hot oil and it turns white like all the other fish instantly. *Been eating them ever since. *They tend to be bony especially when smaller along with the Purple Perch. *They were only kept on slow fishing days...........Ben.

CORN
11-24-2006, 08:43 AM
I've caught those greenlings before but never kept them because they were always small (even the keeper 12+ inchers). Can I assume they taste like lingcods since they're related?

Fort_Bragger
11-24-2006, 08:52 AM
My wife nibbles at her food, and eats like a small monkey (loves freshwater trout). *She actually enjoys fish with bones, saying they have better flavor, but I like the conveinence of the Lings. *The taste is distinctly different between the two. *You should decide for yourself with your own test dinner.......Ben

Fishbutt21
11-24-2006, 10:39 AM

I have caught alot of fish over the years but what is a "kelpfish"

wading2fish
11-25-2006, 06:55 PM
nice catches Panfish. rockies sure are pretty fish but also great on the table, good eatin'!

ocean_314
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
The other fish is a black and yellow rockfish. this is one of the better eating of the rockfish.
The male greeling has green meat same as the lingcod and Cabazone. They all taste pretty much the same.