PDA

View Full Version : Tracy man dies in boating accident

Rusty_Hooks
11-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Eric Lewis, a 47 year old man from tracy, died in a boating mishap which is still under investigation.

Apparently he was crabbing off of Salmon Creek Beach. His 25 foot Bayliner washed ashore Friday about 2:30 pm.

Nobody knows what happened, he had spoken with relatives and his girlfriend about noon. His body washed ashore several hours later.

He was alone............

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE......SNEAKERS ARE COMMON.....PAY ATTENTION

Allen
11-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I saw the accident reported on another site. We were headed near there this AM when Small craft advisories were on NOAA's website.

Bad news. Never go alone....

Allen

TSL
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
my brother and i were out off of arch rock dropping pots
when we were headed in at about 3:00 we saw 2 coast guard boats near the shore and emergency lights on the beach with maybe 2 other vehicles... must have been the boat plus 2
we also saw a coast guard helicopter working the area
conditions of the sea were very foggy and a little lumpy
sun popped out at about noon
speed had to be reduced to a crawl during the fog and due to all the crab pots
i was told that he had a slip at masons a couple docks north of me

TSL

triggerfish
11-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Friday was just like a normal Blodega Day, It just goes to show that you can NEVER be TOO carefull! I just hate it when things like this happen!

sunracer1957
11-20-2006, 09:11 AM
When coming in on Saturday we noticed the huge breakers in front of Salmon Creek.. Wonder if he just ventured to close to shore???

TSL
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
on saturday the ocean was flat until about noon when the bigger swells started coming
nice easy swells
on friday it was a little choppy in the morning and could have produced some unfavorable conditions near the reef off of salmon creek
i have seen some big ground swells created by that reef and it would have been easy to get caught to close to shore and have one break

TSL

Allen
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Sunday we went up to the Russian river for cod while the pots soaked and some boats were in amongst the rocks close to shore. While we were drifting outside the rocks we left the big engine run just incase, being new to the ocean ( first trip). While there we noticed a path between the rocks and something the size of a seal kept popping up. Turns out it was a rock.......

From now on I am going to warm the kicker motor to make sure if we need to fire it up we can do so easily before turning off the main while we drift those area's.

Allen

Jan_from_Humboldt
11-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Another good reason to wear a PFD all the time... I wear mine Do you?

Condolances to his family

donzitroller
11-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Another good reason to wear a PFD all the time... I wear mine Do you?

Condolances to his family
A real tragedy.. and thoughts go out to his family..

Jan, great point.. The ocean is a crazy place.. who knows what happened out there. Could have been anything. BUT.. If you have your PFD on, at least you'll float. Maybe he had one on.. I've got an auto inflating type that I wear. I first saw JonnyP with one on and you hardly know you're wearing it. Way more comfy than a regular one.

It's things like this that make you assess the way you do things on the water.. so sad that a life had to be lost.

Jan_from_Humboldt
11-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Late last year we had a Triumpg 190CC boat go over while crabbing near the surf line, the CG board of inquirey found that they had been in close and got hit by a sneaker wave.

The end result was two people died, they had refused PFD's as they didn't feel that it was all that rough.

Like I said, I wear a good Stearns vest type very simlar to what the Coastie guys wear all day long.