PDA

View Full Version : Catfish tips?

rainbowkiller
06-27-2012, 11:17 PM
ok so anyone have good tips for me? I only know of frying catfish and most of the time they never taste as good as store bought so I have been catching and releasing them. How do you get rid of that lake taste I have read somewhere soaking in buttermilk but is there a certain length of time? I just cant get it down to where I can eat it with out wishing I caught something else....and I LOVE catfishing?

Duffel bag
06-28-2012, 01:40 AM
A couple of ideas, now please keep-in-mind that I am not an expert and that I am simply thinking out-loud and trying to help solve this dilemma.

You can completely cover up the unwanted flavor with spices...probably not what you

are looking for.

You can try to remove the unwanted flavor before cooking it, if the negative flavor is coming from the blood or another water-soluble part of the meat then you can possibly dilute that unwanted flavor to a tolerable level by soaking the filets in cold saltwater, just make sure to soak it for at-least a couple of days and keep it in the fridge. You will need to use a large volume of saltwater as compared to the volume of meat that you are soaking..lots of water/not so much meat.
If the unwanted flavor is coming from the fat of the fish then it will be much more difficult to remove, you might want to try adding some acid, such as vinegar to your saltwater solution. Vinegar is soluble in water and the acid may help to dissolve the fat...just guessing if this would help much...I would have to do some research to be certain.

{NOTE} A key component for this to work is to use a very large volume of water and give it plenty of time, the reasoning behind this is that the chemicals in the fish will eventually reach an equilibrium with the water solution, and this takes time. Here’s the process in-a-nutshell. The chemicals, blood, proteins and stuff, move out of the fish and at the same time the salt water moves into the fish. If given enough time both the fish and the water will contain the same exact amount of chemicals per-sample size, they will eventually balance out.

The thicker the meat the longer it will take for the salts and other molecules to diffuse through the catfishes cell membranes...keep it cold and be patient.

I hope this helps

Steve079
06-28-2012, 05:02 AM
The bigger the catfish, the more likely you are to pick up that "taste". The smaller ones under 2lbs or so, are better eating in my opinion. Taking the fillets from behind the belly on the bigger cats eliminates a lot of that flavored belly fat, but its a waste of meat.

rainbowkiller
06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
AHhhh! Well both of those tips make sense. So I should stop being greedy and fileting 5-8# cats? Its just those little guys are no fun to catch and I usually set up for something large. It makes sense though, I guess I can run a dip bait or something for the little guys. They just seem, for me at least, harder to skin than the larger cats.

bretmoua
07-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Try making catfish nuggets out of them next time. My kids love them and they are usually gone as soon as they come out of the frying pan.

rainbowkiller
07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Im trying to follow your tips guys the problem now is I think the fish are on to me lol. I havent had a bite since this post hahahahahaha Friggin JINX'D