PDA

View Full Version : moss landing tomorrow

lando659
11-17-2006, 09:03 PM
my friend and i are heading to moss landing tomorrow(11-18). any suggestions? (bait, rigging, methods) never been there before. just want to get into some good sized fish. something that will put up a fight. we just want some good action. nothing to eat, necessarily. just some fun.

lando659
11-17-2006, 09:06 PM
oh, and any good spots or places we shouldn't/can't fish?

Sin_Coast
11-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry lando, just saw your post.

The jetties CAN be productive...sometimes. I like to catch rockfish and monkey face eels from the north jetty. Surfperch from the south jetty. The crappy part about the south jetty is the foghorn. Very loud and annoying.
To get rockfish and or eels, try using chunks of frozen squid on double hook rigs with about 4oz of weight. Toss it right there at the base of the rocks. On the north jetty I go about halfway out. The amount of weight will depend on the tide shift---if its going in or out you'll need more weight.
For surfperch on the south jetty, cast southwards into the surf, parallel to the beach with 2 inch kalins curly-tail grubs. Best color is Motor Oil with Red Flake or Perch Power color.

You can also try to batrays or leopard sharks by casting out far into the channel. Use frozen squid or herring or anchovies. I have hooked a few batrays by fishing under the HWY 1 bridge. To get there, just keep going north over the bridge then turn left and drive down that frontage road and park next to the bridge. Then either fish right there (on the ocean side of the bridge) or fish the estuary side of the bridge (either run across HWY 1 or climb across the rocks under the bridge).

Another cool place to catch some batrays or leppies is Kirby Park, back in Elkhorn Slough. And it will be closed to fishing forever starting next November so you better fish it now! I went there 3 Fridays in a row back in like August. Just went after work with friends and hang out drinking and fishing. It was cool but we didn't catch any legal leppies. Did catch plenty of batrays though. All C+R of course. The best spot there is off the dock/pier. Or just to the left of it. I made some rod holders on the pilings with pvc and duct tape---thats a pretty good spot.

Good luck dude!

lando659
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
thanks man, appreciate it. we'll give it a go this weekend. went past weekend but had to leave after half an hour cuz my buddy's son was cold and fussy. i'll let you know how it goes.