PDA

View Full Version : Lower Kinney Lake / West Carson

insearchoffish
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
On the water at lower Kinney at a little after 6. Got setup with the half-fast bronze and silver tape flasher and worm combo and trolled around for a couple hours. It was windy and cold but I managed to land 11 rainbows on the flasher worm combo and had one take on silver blue kastmaster while watching a bald eagle fly around. The fish there were schooled up off the points and creek inlets. Caught all the fish in the same spots each pass. Lots of bank access here and upper kinney lake is not that far a hike I believe. If I were to back it I would hike to the inlet on the west side by the bushes. Had enough wind so headed to the west carson in search of captian compassions infamous bridge. Looked over the bridge and there they are 6-7 lunkers just sitting there. Drifted my worm and bubble to no avial. Tried the wooly bugger for a while, no luck. Tried salmon eggs, no luck. Resorted to trying powerbait :signs703jx: no luck. Then someone else finally shows up and it ends up being a fellow sniffer James Vang and wife. ( Nice to meet you guys, hope you had good luck the rest of the day) I finally gave up on what I thought would be easy pickins and moved down river. Finally hooked up with the bubble worm combo, drifting it in the shadows of overhanging rocks. Landed two, lost one. Really nice size fish, I didnt have a scale or tape but I would guess 2-3 lbs, really pretty fish, bright orange meat. (Had one go belly up on me, had to go swimming practically to retrieve) The most work so far for fish this trip but the most fun. Catching slamador like fish in a small river reminded me of steelie fishing on the coast.

HMONG_James_Vang
07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
hey, how's it going bud. we did manage a few small ones back at the 89 bridge and at caples. pleasure meeting you. congrats on your catches.

hanahou7
07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the report! At least you didn't get skunked, which has been happening to me a lot lately :( haha...I am hoping to get up there this week...anyone have any tips for the West Carson? It'll be my first time there and am hoping to kick the skunk off my back

HMONG_James_Vang
07-02-2012, 04:15 PM
nightcrawlers... and flies

CAL.NDN
07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Single salmon egg hook and a salmon egg small spit shot 18 inches up we caught close to 50 that way a week and half ago a few came on mini crawler. Good luck

hanahou7
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll have a good report like Capt Compassion haha