PDA

View Full Version : Upper Blue Lake

insearchoffish
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Left the carson around noonish and headed to blue lakes. Drove to the PCT and left my dad a note and then did a little exploring for next time. Drove to tamarack and a few other lakes near blue lakes before finally deciding to fish upper blue lake. Launched the kayak and was fishing by 3. Started trolling towards the inlet of the lake and it didnt take too long before I had my first fish on the flasher worm combo. I was trolling in 120 ft of water, that lakes deep! Managed to get 12 bows out in the three hours I trolled. Was hoping for a cutthroat but that will have to wait. All the bankers on the north shore were all skunked. The one other boat on the lake was doing decent, catching a few here and there. The only bankies doing any good were fishing the big rock outcrop. I caught 4 or 5 trolling 40-50 yards out in front of them. They were getting ready to call it a day so I helped them fill there stringers! Loaded things up and went and picked up my dad. He only fished upper kinney lake mepps etc for a little while no bites. Headed home, ate at Gianninis in Pine View, awesome soup garlic bread and pasta hit the spot after all the ramen, hamburgers and jerky for me and freeze dried gourmet for my dad. 83 Rainbows 3 Browns 19 Brookies For the trip total. Best catching trip of my life, I must have been 12 hrs behind the stalking trucks or something!

Trout Spanker
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your adventure and pics. Kudos for your dad hiking the PCT for 4 days as well. I've always been interested in the surrounding lakes at upper and lower blue. I'm gonna try Twin Lake for the first time and was wandering what you thought of Tamarack and/or heard anything about the others such as the Sunset lakes, Summit and Wet Meadows Reservoir?

insearchoffish
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I've always been interested in the surrounding lakes at upper and lower blue. I'm gonna try Twin Lake for the first time and was wandering what you thought of Tamarack and/or heard anything about the others such as the Sunset lakes, Summit and Wet Meadows Reservoir?
Tamarack looked fairly shallow and when looking on google earth it looks like it gets drawn down really low. I talked to one fisherman the other day while there, said he fished but no bites though he saw lots of minnows swimming around. So at least the water is inhabitable. I drove to Twin Lake and it looks fishy, but I have not done my homework on it or any of the others. Hopefully some other sniffers will have some info for us.

Trout Spanker
07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the information insearchoffish. Glad to hear Twin looks fishy. I know the DFG has stocked it before and my neighbor in So. Lake Tahoe says he's fished it in the past and did well. I'll post a report in a few weeks after I get back from the trip.

Yooshi1616
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
was there a lot of people at blue lakes area? wondering how the crowds are for camping there this weekend.

thanks

insearchoffish
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
was there a lot of people at blue lakes area? wondering how the crowds are for camping there this weekend.

thanks

I was only there on saturday, the campgrounds looked to be fairly full, a few sites open here and there. I was going to camp out tamarack road. There are nice FREE sites all along that road. Just turn toward the PCT trailhead and keep going down that road. I only saw a few places though that could accommodate multiple rvs. Good luck! Have Fun and let us know how you do fishing!