PDA

View Full Version : Humbolt Squid

Diamondback70
11-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Just wanted to see when the humbolts will be coming in......looks like a lot of fun.

mike22ca
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
you can catch them right now. It's just that not many party boats are doing it yet because there is still open season for rocks/lings/crabs. Other stuff is still available to target. You will prolly see more boats doing it after the first of the year.

It is a ton of fun, and will really work you over if you get into them lol

Rusty_Hooks
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Make sure you understand the cleaning process before you bring 150 pounds home ;)

That's alot of calamari.....and bouabaisse....and french fried.....and steaked

get your jigs now while you can find them easily ;)

mike22ca
11-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Make sure you understand the cleaning process before you bring 150 pounds home ;)

That's alot of calamari.....and bouabaisse....and french fried.....and steaked

get your jigs now while you can find them easily ;)

Yea you definitly got that right Rusty_Hooks

Laporte
11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I went out on the NSA last year. Squid are just like any other trip. Some days are better than others. Just so happens on my day it was, should have been here yesterday. Bumpy ride out, turned to downpour. Reel up a dozen times from 600'. I had two on, but nothin landed. Luckily my two buddies were successful & landed a couple. Don't get me wrong, had a great experience. Yes cleaning em is a challenge. Bring your coleman lantern. The cabin was full of landlubbers if you know what I mean. My gortex thinsulate parka weighed 20lbs. Soaked through. I think I might give it a go again If I get some company. My partners had enough. Been there done that. The Squid are very cool. Changing colors. Out of this world. Hope you get em up. David

mike22ca
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Ive been every year for a couple years and we absolutly destroy them. Sore arms and backs with full ice chests. Its awesome when they come to the surface. Just like topwater fishing, no joke.

fishingjim
11-14-2006, 08:40 PM
So..... has anyone figured out how to clean the Humbolt squid? I still have 40lbs in my freezer, never could get the ammonia taste out. But they are a kick to catch.......

grendl
11-17-2006, 07:17 AM
took my son out last season it was rough and miserable but he managed to bag one of two brought on board. the deckhand told me to blanch them in boiling water for ten secconds to peel off the white membrane from the meat and that takes care of the ammonia . worked out great and the calamari was fantastic