PDA

View Full Version : San Diego, need help, can't break the code.

doclasvegas
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi gang, just signed up for this forum. I've been coming to San Diego every year for vacation from Las Vegas for the past 17 years. Now I am not a great fisherman to be sure. But I am beyond lousy here in San Diego. I have a 18 foot Bayliner and I go out to Point Loma, and all the other places where it says the fish are supposed to be, but for the life of me I can't figure out what bait works here.

I have never been skunked going out on the Charter boats for Tuna or whatever. When I go to Santa Barbara. you pull up next to a kelp bed and drop in a white or root beer colored artificial scampi lure, and you literally can't keep your hook in the water for more than a minute without a bite, the rock fish love that lure.

You but a scampi in the water down here in San Diego or Point Loma, and the fish throw it back in the boat at you. What the heck? How can a rock fish love a lure up the coast, and hate it down here?

So I am perplexed and would certainly be grateful for any advice you could give me, not looking to make a killing just enough fish so we can have a couple of meals of fresh fish. You have no idea what fish tastes like by the time they truck it to Las Vegas, but it isn't good.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom/advice you would like to share.

Doc from Las Vegas

Pintail
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Doc
Probably gonna get in trouble, but man all these guys fish No. Cal.

If I wanted to look I'd go here

Southern California Saltwater Fishing (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?81-Southern-California-Saltwater-Fishing&)

Guaranteed some one else will chime in.

You wanna fish Bodega Bay/HMB,Eureka this is a good place.

The Salmon bite up here is as good as it's been in the last 6 years.

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Because of the nice weather and generally calmer seas down that away, San Diego gets a ton of fishing pressure. The fish see a lot of gear in front of them! So many guys down there have live bait tanks onboard and sometimes the fish get spoiled and won't hit the plastics as well. We get times up here out of the SF Bay Area when the rockfish don't bite the shrimp flys, grubs or jigs well, even tipped with squid. When the water here gets really cold, and there's a lot of Krill and other feed, the rockfish get lockjaw unless you have live bait.