PDA

View Full Version : Catching Bait fish legal/illegal

pipelayer
10-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know the regulations on this subject ?

exocet
10-15-2006, 07:33 AM
I know that there is no limit oin anchovies.

hetchy
10-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Depends on the water you are talking about. For example you can trap minnows in Tahoe but they can only be used in Tahoe. Same with Donner. You can catch smelt, shiners in the bay for bait. I think shiners have a limit. Sand Dabs are legal to catch and use for bait, good for lings.

triggerfish
10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Pipelayer you need to be more specific,what type? there is lots of bait out there!

pipelayer
10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
hello what im after is rock fish, sea bass , fish like that. can u bring them up rehook em and use them for bait. can u bait fish / with out a pole ,while you are bottom fishin?

foggy
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
If you use a rock fish for bait lets say a small blue.
and you want to send him or her back down for
a ling to have lunch.
It counts in RCG limit which is 10.
I could be wrong always check the regs.

triggerfish
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
foggy is correct. You may use anything for bait ,AS LONG as it is legal to possess. And it goes twords your limit. Example A 11" greenling is a No-No. but a 12" greenling is ok but you can only have 1 all day.If for some reason you wanted to use a halibut for bait it must be 22" ,and so on!

MB_Kevin
10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I wonder what you would catch on a 22" halibut :o 8-)

pipelayer
10-21-2006, 11:31 PM
thanks for help. i understand what you are talkin about.

pinfish
10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
isn't there also an overall total number of fish limit per person? bait or no bait, it don't matter? if i'm right, sorry harvesters!

TSL
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
I wonder what you would catch on a 22" halibut :o 8-)

probably a fur bag

TSL

CORN
10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
isn't there also an overall total number of fish limit per person? bait or no bait, it don't matter? if i'm right, sorry harvesters!

Yes there is, but that doesn't apply to bait like anchovies, sardines, etc. Otherwise, a half scoop purchased at the receiver will get you busted.

TSL
10-25-2006, 06:00 PM
now that you brought up the total....yawd de da... i thought i read some place its 25
but then those jumbo squids 20 months ago no one could give a definite answer
i thought it was pretty piggish to catch a whole junk load and think it was ok
i dont know about last year but the winter before some pigs were just catching and then ended up throwing them away
i was able to collect some of the unwanted for crab bait
rumor had it that last year some people were catching as sport and then selling to the local commercial crab fishermen
i wouldnt mind the "giving" of the left overs after processing for human consumption
but to "SELL"?

ok ..ok ...off my high horse and back to attitude adjustment after an all day north west valley wind

TSL

triggerfish
10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok It is 20 FINfish that have limits,so the maximum limit around here woul look like this! 10 rockfish,2 lingcod,2 stripers,3 halibut,3 leppard sharks. =20 fish after that you could only catch sanddabs,mackeral,anchovies,bluefin tuna,albacore,sole,and other finfish that do not have limits. squid do not have limits eather,but it is illeagal to waist fish! take only what you will use!!!!

THE_SQUID
11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
I only scanned the replys but pipelayer also asked about a hand line in addition to a rod being in the water. To do that you have to be in an area that allows two rods. The wardens will treat a handline the same as a rod.