PDA

View Full Version : First time out 2012

HHEVISHOT5
07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Fished out of Bodega Sunday, first trip to ocean this year. Launched 5:30 am at westside, to confront fog and big swells. Was trying to follow a buddy out to his X spot for easy limits. (he said) But we lost him in the fog, so we were on our own. Couple miles out we ran into some birds, decided to drop in. After boating 4 nice salmon, I called by buddy, they had 2 in the boat. After the 6th in the boat, called again and Jim still only had 2. We laughed and decided it was a good thing we lost him on the way out. lol
We got our 8th for our limits by 11am. Call Jim again to tell him we were heading in, still only 2 in his boat. Got a call from him at home last nite, took them until 4:30pm to get their limits. (8).
Had my son, grandson, and friend with me, grandson's first trip to ocean and his first limit of salmon. After all the fog, rough ocean and losing my buddy, we ended up having a great day..

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w133/HHEVISHOT5/008.jpg

Duckmanhoov
07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Little tuff with the fog and big wells going out, but ended up a great day with our limits of eight nice salmon.

Reel Fun
07-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Nice report guys.....can you tell a little more? Like bait or lures.....trolling or mooching? I am going out of Dillons Beach in about 10 days and I am new to Ocean Salmon fishing. Any tips would be appriciated.

Reel Fun

Duckmanhoov
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice report guys.....can you tell a little more? Like bait or lures.....trolling or mooching? I am going out of Dillons Beach in about 10 days and I am new to Ocean Salmon fishing. Any tips would be appriciated.

Reel Fun

Everthing was caught trolling on an apex, watermelon or green in color. Down 15-40 feet in about 260' of water, just found the bait balls/birds and trolled through them.

Reel Fun
07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
THANKS!!! I am gonna give it a go.

RF

HHEVISHOT5
07-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Reel Fun

We were fishing in the 17x5 area, that's been the hot spot. Like my son said, on the downriggers depth. Our best bit was at 27' off the weight.

Reel Fun
07-13-2012, 08:51 PM
The 17x5 area??? I am sorry but I need help!! We are staying at Lawsons Landing at the entrance to Tomales Bay so Bodega might be a bit of a drive north? I will do it if the fishing is better? I do have a GPS Lowrance. Also....how far were your setbacks?

Thanks again!!

RF

HHEVISHOT5
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
The 17x5 area??? I am sorry but I need help!! We are staying at Lawsons Landing at the entrance to Tomales Bay so Bodega might be a bit of a drive north? I will do it if the fishing is better? I do have a GPS Lowrance. Also....how far were your setbacks?

Thanks again!!

RF
20 pulls from ball weight... good luck, put in your time you should have no problem getting your fish. They are everywere..

SalmoClarki
07-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks again!!

RF

Be careful crossing the bar out of tomales. Can be very sketchy. Also the 17 X 5 refers to the middle numbers of the gps coordinates. Its a one square mile area. The 38 and 123 are a given. For setbacks, kings aren't shy of much so I run less than 10' from the ball also the short setbacks make the setups go nuts with the natural rocking of the boat.

iggybabble
07-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Just do what all the other private boaters do.......follow a party boat! Honestly, don't worry about a fishing report more than a day or two old.....fish have tales and swim! If you see birds working an area, or your fish finder marks a lot of bait, put your lines in even if 10 other boaters at the launch ramp give you there secret numbers, and your not at those numbers

HHEVISHOT5
07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Just do what all the other private boaters do.......follow a party boat! Honestly, don't worry about a fishing report more than a day or two old.....fish have tales and swim! If you see birds working an area, or your fish finder marks a lot of bait, put your lines in even if 10 other boaters at the launch ramp give you there secret numbers, and your not at those numbers

I agree 100%

Angry Sturgeon
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Be careful crossing the bar out of tomales. Can be very sketchy. Also the 17 X 5 refers to the middle numbers of the gps coordinates. Its a one square mile area. The 38 and 123 are a given. For setbacks, kings aren't shy of much so I run less than 10' from the ball also the short setbacks make the setups go nuts with the natural rocking of the boat.

Ronnie,
I have never launched out of there but have heard the same thing, school yourself
On the bar before you head out..hope you guys limit out......