PDA

View Full Version : Camping suggestions

49erbassman
07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Looking to take my Wife and 2 boys to a nice Stream/river type camping vs the usual Lake camping that we do. I want to put my wife on some good Trout fishing (she grew up catching them in streams/rivers and doesn't get do it any more). Trying to stay within 2 hours or so of Sacramento. If we had more time I would take the drive up to the McCloud River but that has to be when we have more time. Looking to go at the end of this month. Any help would be welcomed. Thank You

Trout Spanker
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I have not been to the campsites or fished these rivers yet however; they may meet your camping river needs, within 2 hrs and hold fish.

Silver Fork of the American River. Road is near Kyburz off highway 50.

Highland Creek: off Highland Lake Road: Bloomfield campground More like 3 hours away from Sac.

I've been researching these two amongst others as I'll be up there fishing them next week. Maybe some of the other Sniffers can give some updated details.

CAL.NDN
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Yea china flat campground is a nice lil camp and silver fork is good fishing but you gota put in work but it pays. I thats a good choice or any higher elevation it will be hot so going a lil farther will be more beneficial

Marinpaul
07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
West Carson? It's about 2 hours from Sacramento. Kit Carson Campground ($16 per night; first come, first serve) is within earshot of the river and a short drive to lots of good holes. Carson River Resort ($25 per night; reservation required; (530) 694-2229) on the East Carson is a bit further and has campsites right on the river. Good luck wherever you end up!

mariahpup
07-10-2012, 05:56 AM
I second the motion to give the Carson River Resort a try...it is right on the river with great fishing all around...Marinpaul stays there quite often and it is perfect for what you are seeking...good luck...Mariahpup

49erbassman
07-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone I will research these but keep the ideas coming. We camp in the heat a lot so that isn't too much of a concern. I just want a different type of setting than the normal Lake camping we have done for years.

CAL.NDN
07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
The hotter it is the cooler the bite will be was my theory. Dont no how far dunsmir is from you but the uper sac is on fire rite now. And if i was to camping it would be there or the carson.

49erbassman
07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks cal! I think dunsmir is close to 4hrs away......by Redding if I remember correctly but I will research that. Leaning towards Carson River so far

49erbassman
07-11-2012, 07:16 AM
So it looks like Kit Carson and Carson resort are about 20 minutes away from eachother? I'm calling today to see if the resort has Riverside space available if not am I taking a huge chance driving all the way there for the first come first serve sites? How crowded does it get? Oh ya and what are the best baits for that river LOL

CAL.NDN
07-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Single salmon egg hook egg an split shot 18 inches up. Mini crawler or red worm threaded split shot. Panthers.

49erbassman
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks again everyone. Carson Resort is full for the 27 and 28th so it will be Kit carson or one of the other places someone was nice enough to PM me. We are really excited to check out a new place!

Katfish
07-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey man I JUST got home from a trout fishing/camping trip. Came home with fifteen trout after the three days. Beautiful rainbows. Great eating. I camped east of chico down highway 32 in the Lassen National forest. Its only about a two hour drive from Sacramento. Stayed at Alder campground. EXCELLENT fishing right out of camp. I caught all but one of my fish without ever leaving the campground. Plus only ten bucks a night! Cant beat that.