PDA

View Full Version : Truth or FUD qwestion?

danhood
07-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

Someone just told me that if you are out salmon fishing and catch a legal sized ling-cod you cant keep it. That you can only keep them if you are out for bottom fish.

Is that true or just bait shop baloney?

Thanks

Reel-Lentless
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey all,

Someone just told me that if you are out salmon fishing and catch a legal sized ling-cod you cant keep it. That you can only keep them if you are out for bottom fish.

Is that true or just bait shop baloney?

Thanks
As long as you are in less then 180' of water you can keep it.

danhood
07-26-2012, 07:05 PM
As long as you are in less then 180' of water you can keep it.
Thanks I thought it sounded wrong but with all the different regs out there I wanted to double check.

Toxic_Waste
08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I thought that as long as you have a salmon aboard your boat, you cannot have any type of fish that you would normally catch with a barbed hook, such as a ling or rockfish. I'm so confused! So, maybe you can keep the ling as long as you caught it with a barbless hook? If that's the case, I guess then you can't have any barbed hooks on board and certainly not any rods rigged up with barbed hooks.

Okay I was looking at some FAQs on the Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game's site. There are a couple of questions regarding this issue. As far as I can figure, you can fish for other legal species of fish such as rockies and lings, as long as you use the same gear as salmon fishing.

Here are two Q & A's about this:

Q. If I go fishing for salmon and have salmon on board my boat, then I go fishing for rockfish and lingcod what are the restrictions?
A. Because you have salmon on board your boat, you are restricted to using only gear that is legal to take salmon. You can only use one fishing rod and line. You can only use up to two hooks and those hooks have to be single and barbless. If you put bait on your hooks the hooks have to be single barbless circle hooks. For example: You can fish with a single Scampi jig and a shrimp fly with the barbs pinched down or you can fish with two barbless shrimp flies and a weight. If you put on bait you can use two barbless circle hooks with or without attached lures. Ref. Section 27.80

Q. If I go fishing for rockfish and lingcod and have rockfish and lingcod on my boat and then go fishing for salmon, what are the restrictions; and what if I catch a rockfish or lingcod while I'm fishing for salmon?
A. Because you have rockfish or lingcod on board your boat and rockfish and lingcod cannot be taken or possessed in water deeper than 20 fathoms (120 feet), you are restricted to fishing for salmon in water less than 20 fathoms (120 feet) deep. The same thing applies if you are fishing for salmon and don't have rockfish or lingcod on the boat, but then you catch a rockfish or lingcod. If you are fishing in water deeper than 20 fathoms you cannot keep the rockfish or lingcod because they cannot be taken in water deeper than 20 fathoms. If you are fishing for salmon in water less than 20 fathoms, but you catch a rockfish or lingcod and keep it, you now are restricted to fishing for salmon in water less than 20 fathoms because rockfish and lingcod cannot be possessed while fishing in water deeper than 20 fathoms. Ref. Section 27.82.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

(http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp)

tennesseemike
08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Can't be using barbed hooks to catch a salmon, or once you have a salmon on board. IT was told to you backwards. If a salmon is on board must continue using barbless the rest of the day.