PDA

View Full Version : Crabing on the opener

Intimidator
10-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Thirty two more days until the opener.
Going to be going out of Bodega, anybody else heading down?
Were alll staying at the Dunes hope to see some sniffers down there.
Need to start making repairs to my pots.

TSL
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
i'll be on my boat at mason's if i'm not dead ::)

TSL

triggerfish
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Yes,trigger will be lurking around B.B. I will most likely going up to salt pt. and points north for Crab,abalone,ling etc. combo. Not sure if I will make it a weekend though!

Uncle_Sam
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Has anyone ever tried crabbing the Hog Island area? Are there any dabs in Tomales Bay to keep you busy between pull ups? I have a small boat. The wave I laughed off in July is much more intimidating in December.

triggerfish
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
uncle sam' about 3 weeks ago we crabed just south of hog on the west side. lots of reds/rocks. i put a trap a little deeper and there was a real nice dungy in the mix. There is at least 1 in tommalas.I would target sharks to pass the time.

Fishbutt21
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
I ran five or six pots south of Hog island along the channel edge in a little deeper water last year for a 36hr soak while we stayed on the boat for a weekend. we did check the traps a few times over the weekend and loaded up on dungees All in the 4- 5 1\2" size range and only one that was over legal. We also caught some nice rock crabs too
maybe 40-50 dungeness and 10 rock crabs

exocet
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I'll be heading up to Pt Reyes from the Gate. I can't wait for some crab combo trips!!!!!! If you guys head South give a shout.

Uncle_Sam
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback about Hog Island crabs. When I fished for halibut there I kept getting thse light tugs on my line and suspected that they might be crabs. The only crabs that aren't edible are the ones that itch.

Intimidator
10-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Come on now TSL, you have been there every time I go through there.

TSL
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
must mean i am still alive ;D

TSL

vito
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I've been out in that general area crabbing about 4 times this year. I have limited on rocks and reds each time- I have set some test pots in sandy areas to try and find a hot dungee spot for the opener.
Unfortunately, I have not caught 1 dungee this year! Last year I went out for the opener and caught a limit of dungees off the Lawson's pier. I have also caught limits in about 17 feet of water around and near that pier from my boat In past seasons. Some years I have pulled pots *with over 30 undersized dungees in them. Locals have told me that they Like to crab for dungees near chanel marker #5. *I hope this season is going to pick up inside the bay.

fishenrick
10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I will be there trying my luck on crabs this year.

TSL I am in bodega just about evry weekend, I would like to stop in and say hi one of these times, I have heard you on the radio before but I am either to far North or South for you to hear me.
See ya on the waters

Fishenrick
West Coast Fishing

TSL
10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
my real life has me tied up until 11-4
lately i have been forgetting to turn my radio on
i guess sense i have not been looking for salmon i have not needed to be in contact with everyone
i will try to remember to tune in 77 on the 4th, 5th, 11th and 12th,
i intend to crab a little deeper this year and have been charting some crabby looking areas

good luck to all

TSL

fishdude76
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
This will be my first time crabbing this year. We are going up 11/10-11/13. A guy my brother works with has been doing it for some 30 years along with all the other ocean goodies. Apparently we have something like 28 people going so far. There could even be some sniffers that I don't know about going with us? Anyways I'm looking forward to eating nothing but crab for the next month. The experience should be awesome and hopefully start a new tradition for my birthday (11/10) ;) As it gets closer and I find out more info, maybe I'll get a chance to meet some of you. Take care and good luck to all.

Intimidator
10-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Fishenrick come on by the dunes for a cold one when your down there.

SUNRISECHASER
10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Best get them pots ready Intimidator!!!!!!! ;D

The_Reel_Won
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Going to be going out of Bodega, anybody else heading down?

Oh, I'll be soaking a few pots

Intimidator
10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Allready done, just need to touch up the floats.

Intimidator
10-24-2006, 05:21 AM
18 more days

foggy
10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
What type of gear are you guys using?
I'm thinking the commercial pots are
to heavy to pull up by hand.And
I'm not sure on the traps that collapse.
any recommendations.
* * * * * * * * * * *thanks

TSL
10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
if you do decide to use the lighter (and cheaper) square colapsable traps try adding about 5 pounds of steel or they will drift in heavier seas
use zip ties to tie the corners together
the square traps lett the crabs in easier making short soaks possible but once the bait is gone they will find their way out
last year fishermans warehouse had the 24"x24" on sale for 20 bucks at the begining of crab season
i called a week ago and they said they might go on sale again
at the price of 5-1 it does not hurt as bad if you loose a pot
on ebay i found bouys for sale
they are what he calls seconds
in other words they have a few blemishes
i bought 10 last year from him and ordered 12 more for this year
after all *once the ocean has its way on your brand new 10 dollar bouy you wont be able to tell them a part from my 12 delivered fed ex for a total of 30 bucks
rope is another matter :-/ good luck
and you can even hang old spark plugs on your ropes for weight

when it comes to fishing....i save my money for fuel

TSL

TSL
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
actually i bought almost a mile of the yellow polly rope last spring
i could use a couple thousand more feet but the price is not what i wish to pay at this time

TSL

SacRiver
10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Hi im going to bodega bay this saturday im gonna go crabbing and also go fishing i would like to fish for lingod rocfish baby sharks and angel sharks what would you guys suggest on using bait and what type of setup do they use down there so i can get prepared and buy it at the store please let me know thanks

SacRiver
10-25-2006, 05:20 AM
would be doing all that in bodega bay area near the rocks you know the long path of rocks

SacRiver
10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
bought me a heavy duty bottom rigs what size of hooks do i need and also what type of sinker do i need maybe like a 2 or 3 and also what type the triangle one or the circle one let me know thanks

TSL
10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
hello sac river
the crabs you can get this weekend are red and rock crabs
the dungies or market crab season for sprot fishing does not start until nov. 11th
if you wish to catch crabs off the rock jetty i would suggest the hoop nets baited with raw chicken thighs (cheaper than most baits and works well)
as for hook size maybe a 1/0 would do ok there
as for sinkers off the jetty...it depends on how fast the tide is running
i would suggest a 1oz. slider during slow tide movement and have seen the current where a 4oz may not hold
some people like to tie the sinker to the bottom and have the hook up about 18" to keep the crabs from eating your bait
if i was going to be over there this weekend i would lone you some hoop nets(3)
i dont use them except for my son and his buddies like to throw them off the dock
unfortunately its free dump week end in my little town and the wife says some stuff has to go :(

TSL