PDA

View Full Version : Steel Load's

Surfcaster1
07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Looking at the regs i see we need steel when hunting zone's D-7 and south does any one know if i can use FMJ or is it all steel rounds can i get some help. i hunt D-7 and is it only for deer or is it all game. Pig, Cotton tail Rabbit. and so on i use a 22 cal air Gun for the Rabbit HELP !!!

GUSANO
08-01-2012, 08:15 AM
No full metal jackets allowed for hunting. Includes .22 cal. Go to your local gunshop or even big 5. Ask for non lead hunting rounds for whatever caliber you need. The rifle and pistol rounds are a bit more expensive but shot steel shot (shotguns rounds) is still pretty decent. Air rifles are exempt from the Lead Ban. Go to DFG's website, click on hunting and look for the "Use of lead ammunition" link on the upper right hand corner. They will have more info for you.
~

Surfcaster1
08-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks i use a 22 air rifle for Rabbit can't find steel fo my 30-06 or my 8MM Mauser only FMJ rounds looked at bas-pro and cabels no luck at big 5.

GUSANO
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM
For Pellet guns, you're fine. I have a 30.06. For non-lead hunting rounds i use Federal Premium (r) Vital-Shok (r) rounds when I'm down in South A. Big 5 carries them, try a couple different stores. The one in Tracy had them not too long ago. Try calling the stores to see if they have in stock. Check this link out from DFG, their list of certified non-lead ammo makers.

DFG - Hunting - Certified Nonlead Ammunition Information (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/certifiedammo.html)

I tried looking at some of the manufactuers lists but could not find your 8mm.
~

bretmoua
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Hmmmmm.....steel shots for the 30.06...now that's something I've never heard of. I use copper rounds from Walmart for my gun since lead is now banned for D7.