PDA

View Full Version : Wild and Scenic

dirty530
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I had the day off today so I planned a fishing trip targeting river small mouth bass. I mainly used my medium action bait casting set up with 12lb test and tube jigs, but I did bring my spinning set up for lighter lures. SuckerPunch has told me over and over through emails to use tube jigs, so I thought I'd practice using them to gain confidence in em.

While continuing to hike deep in to the "wild and scenic" area I cast my tube jig toward the rocky cliffs but got it stuck at the bottom of a 7 ft pool. I fumbled around and made a big commotion but fortunately was rewarded with escaping the snag. Didn't think I'd catch anything after that but I decided to toss the tube jig into the riffles - this was the first time I thought to cast a tube jig in riffles - and was rewarded with probably one of the fiercest fighting rainbows I've ever caught and horsed her in on that 12lb test :) Unfortunately the hook caught her in the eye so I had to keep her :/ Huge bummer but that's fishing. Haven't measured her yet but she looks a girthy 17-20"

Caught 15-18 smallies on top of that. Caught most of them on tube jigs, but I also caugh some drop shotting, and with the pointer SP50. Some were in the 2lb range and provided a ton of action. I always ask my friends to come out and fish for smallies but they just want trout. Smallmouth are POUND FOR POUND the best fighters fer sure. I can't wait for my 5lb+ smallie

Stopped at the HWY49 bridge in Coloma later that evening to go for squaw and was rewarded with a 5lber on my first cast. Saw a few people fishing for trout but no action.

Awesome day of fishing and sight seeing! Saw deer all over, a bunch of bear sh*t, and stumbled on a pot farm or meth lab; it's beautiful out in the "good spots" but it definitely can get scary when you go alone! Thanks to SuckerPunch for the advice regarding tube jigs. I'm going trout/squaw fishing with a buddy tomorrow and tube jigs will definitely be on the menu!

dsa2780
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Tube jigs as in crappie type tubes or the larger gitzit bass sized ones? I've had luck casting the little panfish tube jigs into pools under waterfalls for trout before.

Getting smallies and trout in one river is always fun, especially since you can take them on the same lures. Whenever I know I'll be near rocky points while bank fishing for stripers, I'll bring a little telescoping rod specifically for casting spinners or plastics for smallmouth. You're right about them being hard fighters, even catching the little guys on ultra light gear is exciting.

k9mark
08-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Thank God no one was there when you stumbled across that farm/lab. That could have ended ugly real quick. Its such a shame this is going on in our forests.

RideNfish
08-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Excellent! Fishing for trout with jigs is a blast. Now imagine the fun if you were set up with light tackle and 4 lbs test..
There are many trout specific tubes. Just Google Trout Traps, Atomic Tubes, or Trout Magnet.

Cheers

Marv
08-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Glad to see you scored with the tube jig. Smallies are bulldogs and fight pretty hard. What size tube were you using? Here are some proven tube colors; brown, green, brown/green, white, bubblegum. Tubes are ranked very high on the list of Field&Stream's Top lures of all time, and for good reason. They can be drifted like a worm, drop shotted, jigged on the bottom, swimming them, and they also make good trailers for spinners, kastmasters and so on.

If you ever stumble on a grow site or a lab,LEAVE ASAP!!!!! Those guys are told to shoot on site and will do anything to keep you from telling on them. Most of the people that grow or make meth are not U.S. citizens and will hurt you or worse and leave the country. Glad to hear you came out ok.

sickawhoa
08-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Dirty530 did you report to authorities were the lab was they will be interested in were it was its a pain in the rear but this is how we keep what is ours

Owlman2
08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
If you ever stumble on a grow site or a lab,LEAVE ASAP!!!!! Those guys are told to shoot on site and will do anything to keep you from telling on them. Most of the people that grow or make meth are not U.S. citizens and will hurt you or worse and leave the country. Glad to hear you came out ok.

Totally agree. These idiots are ruthless.

Not to diverge too far into politics, but sometimes I think we as a nation are too tolerant of this sort of thing. When law abiding people cannot venture into the wild without fearing for their lives from two legged predators, something drastic needs to be done.

dirty530
08-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I was using the normal gitzit tubes, in a non-flake smoke color. Has a ton of action drifting by itself. I will report what I saw to the police this week but the only reason is because 1. it looked like a meth lab and 2. they trashed the whole river with pipes, tires, beer cans, you name it. I wouldn't report a pot farm because EVERYONE grows in that area. I personally know a couple people who grew massive amounts (fifty 9' plants) and it was all legal; the local sheriff even came out and told him he had the best plants she'd ever seen. You can't really call in on a pot farm nowadays because EVERYONE grows it up there. But a meth lab on the other hand, that stuff needs to go ASAP!

On another note, went fishing for trout this morning and nailed 10 between me and my buddy. We used spinners on 10lb (him) and 12lb (myself) test and horsed in fish all day :) The water was super low this morning but rose 4 feet in about an hour. Try using 10+ lb test for trout sometime, it's soooo much fun horsing them around!

pcwa_guy
08-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Thank God no one was there when you stumbled across that farm/lab. That could have ended ugly real quick. Its such a shame this is going on in our forests.

I agree. Dirty even if it is a pot farm report it. There is a good chance they might not have a legal farm. Just watch WILD JUSTICE on TV. Also even if it is legal it is still scary because you don't know what some paraniod smoker might do if they even see you looking in their direction across river!!! It is wise to carry a sidearm when deep into the wild because predators come with 4 and 2 legs! Last year I reported a structure just above Oxbow Res to the Foresthill Station. I never heard back about it.

Owlman2
08-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Apologies in advance if we are not supposed to ask...

But does this thread refer to the North Fork of the AR?

Marv
08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
What size tubes Dirty? Only reason I ask is because I use 1 1/2" and id like to step it to a 3" for bigger lake sized rainbows. Thanks.

dirty530
08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
3 inch tubes :)

Marv
08-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Awesome, Thanks!

Owlman2
08-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Apologies in advance if we are not supposed to ask...

But does this thread refer to the North Fork of the AR?

Sorry guys....I guess I wasn't supposed to ask. Don't know the ins and outs here yet.

I feel like I just farted in church.....

redneckpunk
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Sorry guys....I guess I wasn't supposed to ask. Don't know the ins and outs here yet.

I feel like I just farted in church.....

No worries Owlman. Asking isnt a crime on here and most are willing to share that general info.

~RNP

iggybabble
08-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I suspect the Tubes would work better, if more guys tried them on a more regular basis. And probably used smaller sizes/ lighter line. And when I fish areas that are remote and require much hiking, I always carry a pistol, it's simply peace of mind