PDA

View Full Version : Cal City Trolling

Fern-dog
08-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Could anyone out there educate me on the various set ups that are used to troll for salmon in the California City Area of San Francisco Bay. My buddy wants me to take him this week and I'm just trying to put some gear together for the trip. We are going to drift for some butts also, so will make a full day of it.

Thanks .... Fern-Dog

iggybabble
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Same as local ocean salmon trolling, with a few changes! Typical bite at Cal City is top of the tide, last 2 hours incoming, first 2 of the outgoing. You can either fish downriggers or use the typical sinker release set up. With only a couple lines in the water, I'd suggest a flasher or dodger, and a rotary salmon killer baited with anchovy. I've always done best at 30-40 feet down, and the fish can be anywhere in the area. Fish from all the way inside in 40+ feet of water all the way out into the deep. Plan on spending the full 3-4 hours trolling, and try to cover as much water as possible. Any decent bait and tackle shop can get you set up with proper gear

Fern-dog
08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
iggy,
Thanks for the reply and info. Appreciate it very very much. I will give it a go and do a report on how it went. Looks like Thursday will be the day we go.

Thanks Again ..... Fern Dog

iggybabble
08-07-2012, 03:39 PM
If you go thursday, id suggest getting on the water around 3 pm or so, and fishing til 7-8 pm. It would give you the best tide of the day, and you might not have too many boaters around. Cal City is a cold hearted woman, don't expect a lot! If you get one or two fish during a trip there, you've done really well! Plus side is you've got a chance at a big fish! Keep your drag set at a reasonable level, these fish can be really sluggish, and they can fool you! Lots get lost because the fishermen gets bit and says " it's only a little one" and tightens his drag too much, and then the fish comes to life. Tell the guy you buy bait from that your Salmon trolling, and want a premium bait, you don't want the crappy chovies that the guys who use it for cut bait off a pier or for catfish buy.....good luck

CRABBY
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
If you go thursday, id suggest getting on the water around 3 pm or so, and fishing til 7-8 pm. It would give you the best tide of the day, and you might not have too many boaters around. Cal City is a cold hearted woman, don't expect a lot! If you get one or two fish during a trip there, you've done really well! Plus side is you've got a chance at a big fish! Keep your drag set at a reasonable level, these fish can be really sluggish, and they can fool you! Lots get lost because the fishermen gets bit and says " it's only a little one" and tightens his drag too much, and then the fish comes to life. Tell the guy you buy bait from that your Salmon trolling, and want a premium bait, you don't want the crappy chovies that the guys who use it for cut bait off a pier or for catfish buy.....good luckThis is the kind of info we all want.....Don

Fern-dog
08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Iggy....
Thanks!
Hoping with the heat that it will mean little to no afternoon winds. Watching the weather forecast on KCRA 3 right now ... It's gonna be a HOT day, even for the Bay Area!!!

One fish, big or small makes all the heat, wind, fog and mother nature beasts of the bay go away and worth it.

Thanks Again ... Don, I agree with you also. This was great info to pass on and I'm sure others are reading it and will put it to great use! He is to be commended for sharing like he did!!!

Fern-Dog

CRABBY
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Iggy....
Thanks!
Hoping with the heat that it will mean little to no afternoon winds. Watching the weather forecast on KCRA 3 right now ... It's gonna be a HOT day, even for the Bay Area!!!

One fish, big or small makes all the heat, wind, fog and mother nature beasts of the bay go away and worth it.

Thanks Again ... Don, I agree with you also. This was great info to pass on and I'm sure others are reading it and will put it to great use! He is to be commended for sharing like he did!!!

Fern-DogYep I agree, Iggy can be a wealth of info when he puts it out there,an you don't need to worry about the heat,just turn the air on in your boat,an no wind to help!!!Hehe........Don

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I was lucky enough to learn cal city from several really knowledgeable skippers, one was a guy named Henry Carlson, the original owner of the charter boat " Ginnie C" out of Sausalito years ago. I fished many days with him up at cal city, and we caught fish consistently. The other guy who fishes cal city really well is the guy who got me started in the fishing business in 1979, Capt Jim Robertson, who at the time was the current owner of the " Ginnie C", and has since owned the " Ginnie C II" and now owns the "Outer Limits". Both of these guys have caught a lot of salmon at Cal city over the years. Do make sure you have a large landing net on the boat, nothings worse than hooking a pig and discovering youve only got Uncle Elmo's trout net onboard.......bob

soconnor
08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Where is Cal City?

redneckpunk
08-08-2012, 12:22 PM
see this thread and perhaps iggy can chime in with more specifics

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/general-boating-saltwater-discussion/99278-location-question.html

~RNP

tennesseemike
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
California CIty is between Tiburon, paradise, and the San Rafel bridge. Now the Romberg Center. They like green rotary Salomon Killer, Franko Bullet Rotators and green Hot spot dodgers. 25-30' deep.

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Cal city is an area in SF Bay just north of Racoon straights along the Marin county shore. If you head through the straits between Tiburon and Angel island, heading east,and make a left turn as soon as you can see the Richmond- San Rafael bridge to your left, your there! From paradise park pier, along the old naval net depot, and out to the mid channel buoy, your there! It's not a spot that produces big numbers, but it can crank out come big fish

Fern-dog
08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Well you make all the plans, get the boat and gear all loaded and then the dark cloud of gloom swings over you and all plans get cancelled. Ended up going for salmon up on the Sac River out of Vieras Resort instead. Check out the river salmon thread, I posted my report there. Hopefully the Bay next week! Thanks for all the help, it will not go to waste.

Fern-Dog

redneckpunk
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Wasnt too dark of a cloud, you did get to fish and landed one in an area that has had slow reports. I'm sure most would take that cloaud over being at work today...LOL

~RNP

iggybabble
08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Its still a day of fishing! Enjoy every minute of it!

Fern-dog
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Its still a day of fishing! Enjoy every minute of it!

Trust me, I wasn't complaining one bit, and "Always" enjoy my days on the water! One doesn't need to catch the big one or shoot the biggest animal or bird to have a successful fishing or hunting trip. It's all about the experience and sharing it with others for me! Fish On .....

Fern-Dog