PDA

View Full Version : Trout bite?

Slikboat
08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
new to the forums, been browsing for a while but was never a member? taking the ol' lady out for her first time this weekend thought about heading to the sierras.. anybody know of any action?

Marv
08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Welcome 2 the darkside, lol. Shoot look at this board and pick you poison. Lots of areas are still kicking out fish. You may need to work a lil harder with the heat and lower flows, but form repotrs coming in there's plenty of good fishin'.

Good luck and post a report!

Slikboat
08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
thanks man, ive actually never been up to any of the sierra rivers or lakes so its a new experience

redneckpunk
08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
+1 to what Marv said. Even though he's a former Bass guy, he's become quite the trout angler recently..LOL. And the temps will play a big role this weekend as they are expected to hit the 100 degree mark tomorrow in the valley and continue that way for 4-5 days. Get out early and put in the time.

~RNP

Slikboat
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
any lakes you guys know of the top of your head thats good for bank fishing?

Slikboat
08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
maybe ill try jenkinson

Owlman2
08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I never go there...but I think the bite is always on at Amador isn't it?

The lake is very heavily stocked, and even from the shore I think you are pretty likely to get into the fish.

Slikboat
08-07-2012, 03:04 PM
At amador?

iggybabble
08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
With the heat, I'd be looking for something high altitude. 5000 feet or higher, and maybe start off at 5000 early in the day and work your way higher through mid afternoon. Hwy 88 near Kirkwood is beautiful, Caples and Silver Lakes both produce well at times. Headed east from there, you could fish either West Carson or East Carson rivers, or both as they are close to each other. They will get crowded weekends, I try to fish them weekdays. The proprietor of Carson River Resort, Todd is an excellent source for info. I also love the Hwy 395 corridor, from Antelope Valley on the North to Bishop on the South..... 100's if not 1000's of differing waters to fish. This time of year, Virginia lakes, a liitle south of Bridgeport can be really good, and at 9000 feet+ elevation it's usually a pleasant escape from the heat. Your best success and fun will come if you use pretty light gear, 4-8 lb test and a variety of different lures or bait. If you've got power bait or gulp, a tub of mini crawlers and some Panther Martins or rooster tails and some Kastmasters, Thomas Buoyants or the like in sizes from 1/8 to 1/4 oz your covered for lakes, and smaller size lures of an 1/8 oz or under for streams you've got a good chance. Kens sporting goods in Bridgeport would be able to give you good intel for most of the 395 corridor

CRABBY
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Geez babble,this is the most informative post you ever put up!!!...Don

Jetspray
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
With the heat, I'd be looking for something high altitude. 5000 feet or higher, and maybe start off at 5000 early in the day and work your way higher through mid afternoon. Hwy 88 near Kirkwood is beautiful, Caples and Silver Lakes both produce well at times. Headed east from there, you could fish either West Carson or East Carson rivers, or both as they are close to each other. They will get crowded weekends, I try to fish them weekdays. The proprietor of Carson River Resort, Todd is an excellent source for info. I also love the Hwy 395 corridor, from Antelope Valley on the North to Bishop on the South..... 100's if not 1000's of differing waters to fish. This time of year, Virginia lakes, a liitle south of Bridgeport can be really good, and at 9000 feet+ elevation it's usually a pleasant escape from the heat. Your best success and fun will come if you use pretty light gear, 4-8 lb test and a variety of different lures or bait. If you've got power bait or gulp, a tub of mini crawlers and some Panther Martins or rooster tails and some Kastmasters, Thomas Buoyants or the like in sizes from 1/8 to 1/4 oz your covered for lakes, and smaller size lures of an 1/8 oz or under for streams you've got a good chance. Kens sporting goods in Bridgeport would be able to give you good intel for most of the 395 corridor

Gonna try ICR (Inidan Creek Resivour) tomorrow, we'll see.........Jetspray

saxman1
08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm heading to Lake Alpine in 2 weeks..... There are plenty of places to fish from the bank .... You might give that a try ... 7300' .... Beautiful place ... I haven't heard any reports from there, but I'm still planning to go there because it's so beautiful ...

Jetspray
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm heading to Lake Alpine in 2 weeks..... There are plenty of places to fish from the bank .... You might give that a try ... 7300' .... Beautiful place ... I haven't heard any reports from there, but I'm still planning to go there because it's so beautiful ...

It's a nice drive from over here too, very beautiful........Jetspray

Marv
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I never go there...but I think the bite is always on at Amador isn't it?

The lake is very heavily stocked, and even from the shore I think you are pretty likely to get into the fish.

The surface temp is like 80+ degrees there. Trolling is your only option at Amador right now.

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I will be interested in hearing what Jetspray does at ICR, I suspect he will be fishing with Captain Compassion, and they usually catch!