PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Destinations

toomanyhobbies
08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
So the wife and i are backpacking next weekend and in need of a destination. Would like to keep it within a couple hours of sac and needs to be do able for a weekend. I would love some remote-lakes and or streams to fish on the way or as a destination. Ideas?

Slikboat
08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Nice trails up by fordyce creek, eagles lakes is a easy hike, if you want overnighter and more of a challenge lost lake is up there as well, above Spaulding lake you can actually see it from one of the peaks, alot of places in Tahoe national forest, I'm a backpacker myself, did John muir trail last year, doing three sisters in oregon this month amd then i'm doing a trip to Whitney next may! Good luck!

Slikboat
08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
More specific it's called beyers trail the one I went on in fordyce

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
80 east to hwy 20, turn right onto bowman lake road and head up to the area outside of Lindsey, Carr, Feeley lakes...there is a nice area, Faucherie and other lakes......it's been years since I've been there, but a google search should find the area with more detail. It might suit your interests.....

pcwa_guy
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Feeley, Linsey and Carr get hit alot. I've never caught anything in them except Carr with only a few brookies in a about a 500 casts! Loch Leven Lakes and the High Loch Leven Lakes used to be really good and had Goldens! Cup lake has some really nice Cutthroats, but its a bit of a trek! Peeler just above The Twin lakes out of Bridgeport, has some nice wild rainbow trout and is really neat and if you hike just a lil past it you have a glacier carved canyon for miles, but you need a permit. Be sure to check areas if they need permits and you can't really have campfires anywhere you hike to right now. :-( Sure would be nice to see pictures if you go! Hope you post some.

insearchoffish
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
80 east to hwy 20, turn right onto bowman lake road and head up to the area outside of Lindsey, Carr, Feeley lakes...there is a nice area, Faucherie and other lakes......it's been years since I've been there, but a google search should find the area with more detail. It might suit your interests.....
Just posted a report on this area its called Milk/ Island / Glacier maybe not in that order. Great area, kinda crowded though!

iggybabble
08-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Insearchoffish, great timing on your report! You had about 50 times the detail that I did, I couldn't remember a lot of those lakes names, it's been years since I've gone up there! And I completely agree with the poster who said Carr, Feeley, and Lindsey Lakes get hammered hard!. Back in the mid-late 80's I used to camp up there a lot, usually at lower Lindsey, and back then the fishing was sometimes pretty good, but thanks to a G.D. Frog, I don't believe they plant those lakes anymore.

toomanyhobbies
08-09-2012, 05:50 PM
thanks a ton for the idea's, last trip i didn't get my line wet. won't happen this go round. digging on the thought of a catching a golden right now.

Jfitalia
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Feeley, Linsey and Carr get hit alot. I've never caught anything in them except Carr with only a few brookies in a about a 500 casts! Loch Leven Lakes and the High Loch Leven Lakes used to be really good and had Goldens! Cup lake has some really nice Cutthroats, but its a bit of a trek! Peeler just above The Twin lakes out of Bridgeport, has some nice wild rainbow trout and is really neat and if you hike just a lil past it you have a glacier carved canyon for miles, but you need a permit. Be sure to check areas if they need permits and you can't really have campfires anywhere you hike to right now. :-( Sure would be nice to see pictures if you go! Hope you post some.

you can have campfires at all those lakes. They have designated fire pits all the way up to penner

toomanyhobbies
08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
campfire restrictions aren't really and issue when i'm backpacking. for some reason i can't live without them car camping and never need one backpacking. my little msr stove is all i need.

insearchoffish
08-09-2012, 08:53 PM
As far as fires,lanterns, cookstoves are concerned always check with your local forest service station. And there are no metal rings provided at Milk, Glacier, Or Large Island. Im no expert but Im pretty sure a homemade rock ring is NOT a designated site, therefore should not have a blazing fire in it. Please help keep our forests from burning.

Fire Restrictions in the TNF Starting July 1 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tahoe/alerts-notices/?aid=12599)Date(s): Jun 28, 2012
Due to dry conditions, fire restrictions will be in effect starting July 1, 2012. Under these restrictions campfires are only permitted in developed campgrounds and other designated sites. In the backcountry, portable stoves including those that use gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are permitted with a valid campfire permit. Propane-type Bar-B-Q's can be used outside designated sites where camping is permitted, but charcoal Bar-B-Q's can only be used in designated sites.
Smoking is only permitted in an enclosed vehicle or developed recreation site.
Internal combustion engines including off highway vehicles can continue to operate on roads or motorized trails and within the Prosser Pits OHV area.
For more information, contact the Tahoe National Forest or see 2012 Fire Restrictions below.
2012_Fire_Restrictions (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5377308.pdf)

Here is all of the info anyone needs. This Is for Tahoe National forest

Tahoe National Forest - Alerts & Notices (http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tahoe/alerts-notices/?aid=12599)

Heres the address for all the alerts.
There was an alert also for car break ins at the Carr Feely Trailhead on there. We got lucky I guess.

(http://topics.sacbee.com/Nevada+City/)

Read more here: Fire restrictions effective Sunday in Tahoe National Forest; fireworks banned - Lake Tahoe - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/30/4601306/fire-restrictions-effective-sunday.html#storylink=cpy)

Gene St. Denis
08-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I have been to Cup Lake 3 Times in the last couple months. The only thing easy about it and getting to it .... is the Talk about it. Goldens and Planted Cutts now . Can you say Very, very Steep ascent , like almost 3,000 gain, then 450 feet descent Down the Boulders to Cup Lake, and then 450 feet backup to the Crater Rim and THEN 3,000 feet Straight Back Down to truck. Bring skeeter stuff, Dry flies, kastmaster, panthers,Lots of Water , tasmanian devils, and then Simmer to Sweating perfection. Been to Leland Lakes and Twin Lakes as well , might be a Better bet for you and the Lady. Not a lot of traffic on trail . Plus above the White Granite Cliff an Old cessna plane wreck above the Leland , you can still hike up to and sit in... it over looks the Whole Canyon... excellent place to have some Wine and watch the Sun Set...... Some goldens left in leland, but more brooks and some cutts now. Your Desolation wilderness permit is also a permit for you to use your Cooking stove while Camping.....unless that has changed... a Very Extreme FireDanger rating can do that. USFS Widerness required for all three and they will give you Fire Warning Info then. NO FIRES..... as in CAMPFIRES ....are NOT allowed in Desolation ANYTIME ....... Winter or Summer. Have fun and Leave a Detailed Route Itinerary and In and Out Dates with at least TWO Responsible Adults. Our Friends in SAR are Overwhelmed with Operations so far this summer , and it has included Fatalities. CHEERS ! gst

Marv
08-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Is it the white and red one?

insearchoffish
08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Is it the white and red one?
Did I miss something???

Marv
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Did I miss something???

Sorry kinda vauge, lol. I was talking about the crashed plane that Captin Tahoe described. Sounds kinda cool, I was searchimg the hills on google earth.

Gene St. Denis
08-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Yes, Marv... you get a Big ... ATTAH BOY !! gst

iggybabble
08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for a very detailed in-depth post, Capt! I mean this sincerely, Its got solid suggestions for a trip. Ideally every post gets several different perspectives from folks who have been up there and enjoyed a trip. I'm looking forward to reading an after trip post, wherever he goes, I hope it's a fun, productive, safe trip!!! Bob

toomanyhobbies
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Thought i would post a report of the backpacking trip. First off thanks for the list of destinations they will most likely end up as future trips. A combination of bureaucratic red-tape (wilderness permits in aug) and a last minute visit from friends in Oregon meant a much shorter trip than planned. After being unable to get a permit for any lake in Moke Wilderness or Desolation we ended up in the Meiss road less area north of hwy 88. After a 9 mile hike from Carson Pass several in the rain we ended up at Dardanelles Lake. after camp was set up and dinner cooked i had about 45 min of fish time. No bites no fish spotted. The water clarity was down after heavy rain and hail friday night. All said, fun trip even if i only got to fish for 45 min.