PDA

View Full Version : HMB Perch'n

BASNFAN
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi Guys, :)
I will be down at Half Moon Bay State Park from the 19th to the 23rd and plan on trying to do some perch'n in the surf while there. Would I be wasting my time for this time of year? I will be using grubs and Berkeley Bulp Sand Worms.
BASNFAN

motlot77
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
basnfan,

if you go south a mile or two from the state beach you can go to POPLAR ST. all the way at the end is a FREE parking lot. nice stretch of beach.

tracy-ed
10-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Check out this link......http://zenflyfishing.com/.......when it comes to surf perch, this guy KNOWS. Yeah, he is 100% C&R with a fly rod, but the informatin about surfperch'n goes on and on.

-Ed

Fish_R_Us
10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I believe the same is true for the Redondo Beach Access.

I'd also bring some 1-2oz white jigs or a sardine FT and plug for some late season stripers.

Good Luck.

Double_D
10-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I believe the same is true for the Redondo Beach Access.

I'd also bring some 1-2oz white jigs or a sardine FT and plug for some late season stripers.

Good Luck.

H#LL yeah Striper's.....this is the best time of year to have your best shot at a Big Hen not a lot of fish but the Fat girls are lurking ;) last to show last to go.......bait guys doing well, but nothing better than a fat mama mugging a top water plug

BASNFAN
10-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Some good info there. I have never fished that area before but am anxious to try. I have checked out ZenFlyFishing before and he has some great stuff. I am still trying to learn how to read the water to find the fish. Stripers would be great also. I have some white bucktail jigs I have used for stripers in the river but what is a sardene FT. Do you mean sardene filet? I hope the surf is calm enough to fish.
BASNFAN

cabbagehead
10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
FT = fish trap. Here is the sardine color.
http://www.fishtraplures.com/images/31.jpg

fred1
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I live right by Poplar and if the surf is calm the beaches from State Beach both north and south can be good. Surf has a tendancy to be bigger in these areas than the areas to the north by the Jetty, so if it is to rough at State, head north to Miramar closer to the Jetty where there is much less current and much smaller waves.

Happy Fishin

BASNFAN
10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Hay Fred, thanks for that info. *I am hoping for reasonably calm conditions but if it is rough, I will remember what you said. *
If I do try for stripers, what is the technique used with hair jigs or FT"s, just cast out as far as you can and bounce them back in?
BASNFAN ::)

Fish_R_Us
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
BASNFAN,

The picture that CabbageHead graciously provided is the back 1/2 of the lure. The front 1/2 has the lead fish-head and hook. The head is available in different colors and you thread ther hook into and through the rubber "FT" part, similar to a Carolina rigged worm. You will find the front's next to rubber FT's. The brown "herring" finish is a killer lure when fished inside the SF Bay.

I fished the areas where waves tend to overlap an area. This is known as where the riptide forms, and you can probably see the undertow forming The sandcrabs and baitfish will tend to get washed into this area and will get pulled into the deeper areas where the big stripers wait in ambush. The perch will tend to be along the surfline, even in less than a foot of water. Sometimes right at your feet, if you are wading in knee-deep waters, like most serious casters do.

There's no mistaking on that striper hit. The solid hookup and the tugging of your pole as the hog is trying to get back safety of the deep. One solid striper hookup and you'll be hooked for life. Don't get discouraged if you get skunked as you plug for stripers. You might get skunked for a couple weekends, but that special time when all things will line up better be prepared for that tug or your liable to lose your pole right out of your hands.