PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2012 Pyramid Fest Sign Up Thread

Captain Compassion
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
The 2012 fall Pyramid fest will be 10/05 - 10-07. The place will be on the beach at Pelican. On 10/06 there will be a potluck dinner on the beach. This is the sign up thread. If you plan on attending please sign up. If you are gonna bring something for the potluck let me know as well.

CC

Jetspray + Boat, Tables, plates and utencials
SteelHunter
Captain
Okie, Asian Beef

Jetspray
08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I'll be there with the boat.......Jetspray

SteelHunter
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm planning to come to my very first Fest.

as for the potluck...I'll have to give that some thought.

Captain Compassion
08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm planning to come to my very first Fest.

as for the potluck...I'll have to give that some thought.

Welcome. You wont be disapointed.

CC

Jetspray
08-11-2012, 04:22 AM
I agree Richard no dissappointments come usually. I always like the gathering at the end of the day, and stories passed.........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-11-2012, 04:24 AM
We need good weather.......Jetspray

SteelHunter
08-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I know the fest is a while away...but what is the weather like there in early October.

What should I be planning for??

okie
08-11-2012, 10:21 AM
rick, be prepared for anything from mild spring to snow, imho it can be anything
in between. thats what makes it exciting.
c u there
be safe

Captain Compassion
08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I know the fest is a while away...but what is the weather like there in early October.

What should I be planning for??

This is interior Nevada. This time of year expect anything. Several years ago at the fall fest we had wind, rain hail, snow, sleet and waterspouts all in the same day. Last year Saturday and Sunday were georgous with warm fall sun, little wind and boats with lots of fish caught and released. Lows from the 30s to the 50s. Highs 45 to 75. The major problem is the winds.

CC

Jetspray
08-11-2012, 04:38 PM
This is interior Nevada. This time of year expect anything. Several years ago at the fall fest we had wind, rain hail, snow, sleet and waterspouts all in the same day. Last year Saturday and Sunday were georgous with warm fall sun, little wind and boats with lots of fish caught and released. Lows from the 30s to the 50s. Highs 45 to 75. The major problem is the winds.

CC

Simple dress in layers and stip off, make sure you have some sort of rain/snow cover just in case. If you tent make sure you have something that will hold it down in a very stiff wind, there are very few rocks to be had and the Tuffa is a religious object there for the most part. We all sort of cling together on Pelican Beach but you can rent a cabin at Crosby's in Suttcliff.......Jetspray

Main (http://crosbylodge.net/)

CRABBY
08-11-2012, 06:02 PM
If I was going,I would rent a cabin or trailer,most years the weather is nasty in the fall,haveing a nice dry place to stay is golden,the rates are fair an if you can fish it can be really good.
Dress for all 4 seasons as ya never know there,even the local weather people just guess,LOL..it is the Hi Desert ya know,most of the people that go have campers,motor homes,or live up there....Don

Jetspray
08-12-2012, 05:08 AM
If I was going,I would rent a cabin or trailer,most years the weather is nasty in the fall,haveing a nice dry place to stay is golden,the rates are fair an if you can fish it can be really good.
Dress for all 4 seasons as ya never know there,even the local weather people just guess,LOL..it is the Hi Desert ya know,most of the people that go have campers,motor homes,or live up there....Don

I do not live up there Don, I'm 95 miles away from Pelican beach. That being said it is a "friggin' desert". That's why what grows best over here is tumbleweed, sagebrush, rabbitbrush, sheepgrass, and other dry accomodating weeds (not many succulents ie cactus's). As far as the weather guessers, they are at home pressing their suits and polishing their Gucci shoes, not alot of help. Fishing is never easy anyway, if you don't loose gear or brave foul weather you're just not fishing. I do have a pop-up camper myself, it will sustain a 50 mph wind but it gets noisy inside when that happens. When we huddle on the beach it affords most folks with tents a little cover from the wind, but it can get very heavy that time of year.........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I've been out in the "Wizzard's Cave" grinding down the barbs on my lures just getting things ready for the fest. Tomorrow I will tackle the boat, it's raining now with lightning and thunder......Jetspray

SteelHunter
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I was out at Sportsman's Warehouse today in Rocklin and scored some great spoons that I think should work great at Pyramid.

3/4 oz daredevil spoons in red w/ black dots, orange w/ black dots, chart w/ red dots, and a frog colored one.

I was hoping for more green colored spoons but this will get me started. I've heard the Lodge in Sutcliff carries spoons. I'll check those out when I get up there for the Fest.

only a few months to go...lol

D_<><
08-12-2012, 08:50 PM
What's the address to sportsman's warehouse. I remember my first time to Pyramid. I went to the walmart in sparks, on Pyramid road and Spanish springs. I bought fishing license there at Walmart. When I got to the Lake they told me it's an indian reservation and that I have to buy it again. When I got to the Lake, the guy told me the lake is closed and won't open til 2 weeks later. It was couple years ago sometime in September when I went there. I had a bad experience. From Sacramento to some odd area in Nevada. I didn't even know where I was. I thought I was close to Area 51 and at the end of the day I can't even fish, how sad.

Jetspray
08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
What's the address to sportsman's warehouse. I remember my first time to Pyramid. I went to the walmart in sparks, on Pyramid road and Spanish springs. I bought fishing license there at Walmart. When I got to the Lake they told me it's an indian reservation and that I have to buy it again. When I got to the Lake, the guy told me the lake is closed and won't open til 2 weeks later. It was couple years ago sometime in September when I went there. I had a bad experience. From Sacramento to some odd area in Nevada. I didn't even know where I was. I thought I was close to Area 51 and at the end of the day I can't even fish, how sad.

There is a Sportsman's Warehouse at the intersection of Kietzky and Moanna in Reno. The Moanna exit is a little tough to take right now as there is construction going on. It might be cleared up by Fest time in October. The season is Oct 1st to June 30th, that's why the fests are in October and near the end in April (most of the spawining and movement goes on then). There is also a Cabela's by Boomtown just after the Calif border on hwy 80 and a Scheel's on the east end of 80 going out of town. No you were not close to Area 51 that is a day's drive south on 95 to the Extraterrestial Hwy. The only lic that counts is the tribal one..........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
I was out at Sportsman's Warehouse today in Rocklin and scored some great spoons that I think should work great at Pyramid.

3/4 oz daredevil spoons in red w/ black dots, orange w/ black dots, chart w/ red dots, and a frog colored one.

I was hoping for more green colored spoons but this will get me started. I've heard the Lodge in Sutcliff carries spoons. I'll check those out when I get up there for the Fest.

only a few months to go...lol

Cop car colors work (black/white), yes Crosby's has a store that is well stocked, the creel station on Pyramid Hwy has the lic, camping, boating permits too and it is well stocked as well. I hope to see you there..........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Weather is holding on pretty good for now but it is 5 weeks away and things can change. Can't wait for the fun to start. The saturday night feast is looking good to from most of the contributing members..........Jetspray

SteelHunter
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
not many signing up...

is interest waning??

CRABBY
08-21-2012, 07:46 PM
SNOW,WIND,RAIN...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just kidding,BUT BUMP it up!!!!HEHE.....Don

okie
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
sh, come on up, you'll enjoy it no matter what the weather is like.
the sat nite potluck is worth the trip.
be safe

CRABBY
08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
sh, come on up, you'll enjoy it no matter what the weather is like.
the sat nite potluck is worth the trip.
be safeYep I agree,okies cooking is great an he's a real character ya gotta meet!!!...Don

SteelHunter
08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm not worried about the weather.

It just seems not many people are signing up. Maybe it's too early and more interest will come when we get closer to the Fest.

I'm gearing up with new spoons and jigs...so I'm coming no matter what.

CRABBY
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Steel,it's a sign of the times,a trip like that for most down here would cost well over a $100 just in gas,I think most are staying closer to home an making their money go farther,plus ya have the Salmon an Stripers down here an fall is one of our prime times....Have fun up there,it only takes a few good guys to make it a fun time,Ya don't need an army!!!....And the ones that are going so far are the best!!!.......Don

Captain Compassion
08-22-2012, 05:54 PM
6 weeks until the Pyramid Fest. Sign up. Some pictures from
last fall fest.

CC

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-19.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-39.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-31.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-29.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-23.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-15.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-14.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-12.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-08.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/100911-07.jpg

okie
08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
don, why dont you come up for this fest? it would be nice
to have you up here, i hope my cookin at berkeley didn't
make you sick.
be safe

Jetspray
08-23-2012, 05:31 AM
I'm not worried about the weather.

It just seems not many people are signing up. Maybe it's too early and more interest will come when we get closer to the Fest.

I'm gearing up with new spoons and jigs...so I'm coming no matter what.

Weather around that time can be rough, but we are slated for a late fall this year by the almanac.more are gonna show up I assure you. It is a little early, the tribe has not yet released the lic's for this year (along with the boat stickers). Hope to see you there anyway..........Jetspray

SteelHunter
08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
well...like I said I'm coming....sooooo

I wanna talk about tackle.

I was thinking, how about shallow diving crankbaits, stickbaits, jerkbaits??? It seems a lot of people use spoons, jigs, or flies from shore. so what's your thoughts on these types of plugs?

Bomber's Long A has some nice color combos that could mimic the tui chub.

I don't know...maybe Pyramid is too shallow near shore for even shallow divers.

thoughts?

SteelHunter
08-23-2012, 07:20 AM
and Captain...

those are some awesome pics!!!

okie
08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
sh, there is plenty of spots that get real deep right off shore,
all those you mentiond are good from shore at one time or another,
depending on the bite. the 'hot lure' today, might not get a hit
tomorrow. at the last fest, saturday was orange w/blk dots, sunday
they wouldn't even look at it.
you'll find out the good lures when you get here, next time, you
might need a new tackle box.
c u there
be safe

Captain Compassion
08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Last fall at the fest the color seemed to be white and black and white (Copcar). White U-20 flat fish were killers along with Pearl Bikini Needlefish worked well for trolling. I've found some copcar Needlefish that I'm anxious to try this year. As Okie sez you never know.

CC

Jetspray
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
I read today that the store on Pyramid Hwy is closed so that makes Crosby's in Suttcliff the place to get permits for camping/fishing/boating otherwise you need to come in on the Fernley side and stop at the gas/creel station there at the turn. More places are available for permits like Sportsman's Warehouse and Angler's Edge (here in town) so I can get my boat and yearly lic's for the lake. Good luck everyone.........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Last fall at the fest the color seemed to be white and black and white (Copcar). White U-20 flat fish were killers along with Pearl Bikini Needlefish worked well for trolling. I've found some copcar Needlefish that I'm anxious to try this year. As Okie sez you never know.

CC

You forgot the perch crock Richard........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-24-2012, 04:40 PM
and Captain...

those are some awesome pics!!!

Yep my boat is a great place to find them. From the shore tube jigs work and I can give you a few when you get there. Small or large in white, black, green work well small ones suspended from a float seem to bring them on as well. If you fish Pelican bring waders or a ladder........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
The list is growing steadily for the fest hope to see some of you there..........Jetspray

Jetspray
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
One month away and the list is growing steady for those who wish to fish. Bumpity bump.........Jetspray

Jetspray
09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Gotta look into getting my yearly this week.......Jetspray

CRABBY
09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
don, why dont you come up for this fest? it would be nice
to have you up here, i hope my cookin at berkeley didn't
make you sick.
be safeSorry no way,with the Salmon an Striper kickin up who wants trout??Your cookin is great an so are you but the drive +cost for gas are a killer,hope ya guys all have fun....Don

Captain Compassion
09-06-2012, 08:08 PM
4 weeks until Pyramid Fest. Getting excited.

CC

Jetspray
09-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I am glad the the tribe decided to keep the same prices, I just hope that they have the stickers for the opening so I can put it on the boat........Jetspray

SteelHunter
09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
where's all the Fest chatter?

Just a little over 3 weeks...

Jetspray
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm still working on trailer lights have one circuit that is giving me fits. I'm sure it is a bad connection somewhere just gotta find it. Since the fees haven't gone up I will probably be able to get my yearly this week sometime at Angler's Edge in town. I have gone through most of the gear too, making sure the hooks are good and barbless too. I think it will be a great opener, last year we saw a ton of minnows all over the place and they did a ton of re-stocking too.......Jetspray

Jetspray
09-13-2012, 05:51 AM
It looks like Monday the 17th of Sept the online sales of permits will start. So I guess I will be getting my yearly at Angler's Edge on that day.........Jetspray

Main (http://crosbylodge.net/) Crosby's Lodge Suttcliff NV

http://www.plpt.nsn.us/

SteelHunter
09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I was wondering about the possibility of extreme weather/wind/etc at Pyramid and tent camping.

Since I will be laying up in my tent for the Fest....does any other tent campers have any suggestions/tips about dealing with the wind at Pyramid?

I'll stake it down but sometimes the soils are not great with driving down stakes or holding.

let me hear your thoughts...

okie
09-14-2012, 01:18 PM
sh, you want 'longer' than normal tent stakes if the wind comes up, i think mack attack
uses about 3' of 1/2 in rebar.
be safe

CRABBY
09-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Put your tent up right next to a motor home or camper,like Daves(Jetspray)an that will sometimes keep the wind off,the people there won't mind,they welcome it an will offer to help.No big deal...Don

SteelHunter
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
sh, you want 'longer' than normal tent stakes if the wind comes up, i think mack attack
uses about 3' of 1/2 in rebar.
be safe

WOW....3 ft of rebar....that's serious!!!!

how does he tie the guy lines to the rebar? I need to get this all done before the Fest.

and Crabby....I don't think people would like me against their RVs....I snore like a bear and his twin brother. lol

any other tips regarding keeping my tent on the floor.

CRABBY
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
WOW....3 ft of rebar....that's serious!!!!

how does he tie the guy lines to the rebar? I need to get this all done before the Fest.

and Crabby....I don't think people would like me against their RVs....I snore like a bear and his twin brother. lol

any other tips regarding keeping my tent on the floor.LOL,take about 8 heavy concrete blocks with ya an put em in the tent to help keep it down,but your tent may still be shredded by the wind,don't worry about your snoring the people there won't care as they will be inside,Okie can't hear anyway!!!!I would plan on wind but don't stress on it,ya can just sleep in you truck,no problem!!!!You'll still have fun!!!...Don

okie
09-14-2012, 04:40 PM
LOL,take about 8 heavy concrete blocks with ya an put em in the tent to help keep it down,but your tent may still be shredded by the wind,don't worry about your snoring the people there won't care as they will be inside,Okie can't hear anyway!!!!I would plan on wind but don't stress on it,ya can just sleep in you truck,no problem!!!!You'll still have fun!!!...Don

i think he uses 1/2" rope but not sure.
you can tie it to my truck, dont worry about snoring, if its normal, no one
will hear you anyway.
c u there
be safe

Jetspray
09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Usually fellas/gals stand around the "Bombfire" until around 04:00 and sleep around an hour then head out on the water. It gets dicy sometimes but right now it is in the 90's during the daytime. Two years ago we had 80 degree weather and on the 1st (following week) we had 6 inches of snow on the ground. Go figure.....Jetspray

Jetspray
09-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Here is a couple of sites for good weather reports on Pyramid, you can see how things are shaping up........Jetspray

Remote Data (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/anaho.php) Pyramid wave heights and winds bouy

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.9571224404468&lon=-119.59854125976562&site=rev&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Jetspray
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Two weeks and counting.......Bumpity bump.......Jetspray

Jetspray
09-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Went and got my yearly permits at Angler's Edge in town. They did not have the stickers yet but the pemit for boating has the number on it. The sticker will come in the mail next week. For those who are interested $74 for boating, $74 for fishing for a yearly. I comes from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe 208 Capitol Hill Nixon, NV 89424 Phone 775 574 1000. You can buy daily permits for camping, boating, fishing from other outlets in Reno and also on the way in from the shouth entrance. Pyramid Hwy store is closed so you would have to go to Suttcliff and Crosby's Lodge to pick some up. Good Luck to you all.........Jetspray

http://theanglersedge.com/

Captain Compassion
09-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Two weeks until Pyramid Fest. Long term forcast from Accuweather for that period for Nixon, Nv. High temps in the upper 70s - low 80's with lows 43 - 47. Winds generally lite from the west. Hope this holds but this is Nevada. http://www.imhooked.com/forumsyabb/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif http://www.imhooked.com/forumsyabb/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

CC

SteelHunter
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
I can't wait...couple more weeks and I'll be there.

I'm going to get there Wed (10/3) and fish a couple days before the Fest.

Captain Compassion
09-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Plan to get there Thursday morning.

CC

SteelHunter
09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Plan to get there Thursday morning.

CC

wanna 'hook' up and do some fishing before the Fest??

Jetspray
09-21-2012, 04:59 AM

Some of us come early and fish the week. Some fish the weekend and stay a couple days more after. It's all good, see ya there........Jetspray

Jetspray
09-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Week and a half to go here we go.........Jetspray

Jetspray
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Packing up gear this weekend for the fest next week. I will probably be there sometime around noon on tuesday the 2nd. If anyone sees the popup camper drop by and say hi while I setup camp.........Jetspray

CRABBY
09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Packing up gear this weekend for the fest next week. I will probably be there sometime around noon on tuesday the 2nd. If anyone sees the popup camper drop by and say hi while I setup camp.........JetsprayThink of me Dave,as you drive by reno I'll be at VA getting an MRI an stuff,just wave I'll feel the good vibes....Don

Jetspray
09-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Think of me Dave,as you drive by reno I'll be at VA getting an MRI an stuff,just wave I'll feel the good vibes....Don

That's Richard's (CC) favorite place, I think he will be there monday though. Maybe you could drive up the street on Kitzke and visit Mark Fore & Strike for some unusual stuff (hunting or fishing), or go in the opposite direction to Sportsman's Warehouse.........Jetspray

Jetspray
09-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Still have not gotten my boat sticker from the tribe yet. I guess they are on backorder or something. I do have the paperwork with a number on it for this week. Temps and general weather are supposed to be mild with low winds 5 - 10 mph. It should be a good time on Pelican. Hope to see some of you there:).........Jetspray

Jetspray
10-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Headdin' out around 10:00 hope to see some of you there.........Jetspray

CRABBY
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Dave,Richard,Bill,Steel,have a good time guys an hope ya get some REALLY nice fish....Don

okie
10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Dave,Richard,Bill,Steel,have a good time guys an hope ya get some REALLY nice fish....Don

you could be friendly and come on up and fish with us, we might even feed you.
be safe

Captain Compassion
10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Reports comming in of lots of healthy fat cutthroats to 15# feeding on baitballs the size of semi trucks. Pyramid, ain't no place like it.

CC