PDA

View Full Version : Marin Coast 08/11

Jason
08-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Went out on a friends boat for a trip up the Marin Coast. Launched out of Berkeley Marina and picked up some live bait. Did some drifting in a few spots outside the Golden Gate for some blacks, than headed to Tennesse Cove. Did some drifting for 30 rockfish and 3 lingcod for four of us. Water wasn't to bad in the morning, but started to get a little rough in the afternoon. The bay was really rough as we were heading back to Berkeley. We were going to do some halibut trolling, but decided against it. It was foggy in the morning, than started clearing up, better weather than Sacramento.

This Is Marks
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Time Posting - So go easy on me if mistakes happen.
Took the same trip from Berkeley hoping to catch some Halibut, went to Alcatraz and drifted from the SF side towards the Island without as much as a strike. Didn't see anyone catching anything either, even the two party boats didn't have any hooting and hollering going on.
Decided to go try Crissy Field and was lured towards the Golden Gate instead. Next thing I know I'm looking back at the GG asking my buddy, "Do I Looked Scared?". That phrase is pretty much synonomous with other famous quotes, such as . . .
"Hold my beer, and watch this"
"Don't worry, chics dig it"

Well, we had a blast! Caught a variety of fish, sometimes two at a time, a 22" lingcod that we released along with acod of some sort. Water was very forgiving with a slow tide, this was my first fish, (that is if I can figure out how to post a picture).

How the hell do you make a 984KB picture into a 97.7KB Size? 2 hours of this crap, I'm done!
Went out the gate, caught fish, went home.
The End

redneckpunk
08-12-2012, 04:41 PM
if you go to the top of the freshwater striper board, as well as a couple others, you will find a thread about posting pictures. Using photobucket you can resize and post

~RNP

JB14
08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Great job! Heading out the gate is fun. I've never ventured too far since I've only got an 18' open bow but something about it makes it more of an adventure. GOod job

1st Time Posting - So go easy on me if mistakes happen.
Took the same trip from Berkeley hoping to catch some Halibut, went to Alcatraz and drifted from the SF side towards the Island without as much as a strike. Didn't see anyone catching anything either, even the two party boats didn't have any hooting and hollering going on.
Decided to go try Crissy Field and was lured towards the Golden Gate instead. Next thing I know I'm looking back at the GG asking my buddy, "Do I Looked Scared?". That phrase is pretty much synonomous with other famous quotes, such as . . .
"Hold my beer, and watch this"
"Don't worry, chics dig it"

Well, we had a blast! Caught a variety of fish, sometimes two at a time, a 22" lingcod that we released along with acod of some sort. Water was very forgiving with a slow tide, this was my first fish, (that is if I can figure out how to post a picture).

How the hell do you make a 984KB picture into a 97.7KB Size? 2 hours of this crap, I'm done!
Went out the gate, caught fish, went home.
The End

striperking13
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Great job! Heading out the gate is fun. I've never ventured too far since I've only got an 18' open bow but something about it makes it more of an adventure. GOod job

I am in the same boat Charly, 18' with open bow also. Crestliner 1850. I've been crabbing just outside the golden gate and up to seal rock and back. Would like to try for some rockfish and hali tomorrow. But never fished for rocks before, i've been on charter and were always going out far. Would like to know if my 18' can get me into some rockfish zone. Thanks Sniffer's. FISH ON

JB14
08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
With the right weather report I'd love to get out after rockfish or something but I know zilch about it. Literally nothing. I just started on the Bay this year so hopefully I'll get a chance to figure it out and do something different.

This Is Marks
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Thank-You for the advice RNP, we'll all see if it works now. I have a little stress disorder when it comes to computers and they don't do what I want them to. However, there's few things in life more satisfying, then letting the smoke out of a computer or printer with a size 14 steel toe boot.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p589/ThisIsMarks/8bb96197.jpgDidn't have a scale to weigh this Monster Cod Caught Outside The Golden Gate

It did put up one hell of a battle though

But unfortunately, like most Monsters and things we're afraid of. . .

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p589/ThisIsMarks/0d5d5204.jpgIt wasn't as big as or horrible as I thought. . .

Apparently this is a rare Dwarf Monster Rock Cod . . . Lol

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p589/ThisIsMarks/9cc118d7.jpg
These were my twofor, caught both at the same time. 22" Ling and a nice Rock Cod of some sort.

As mentioned by somebody on this sight, and I remembered as soon as it happened, when you feel the bite, bring em in or they will run into the rocks and hide. Both times I had large fish on I thought I had snagged myself in the rocks. I gave the line a "little" bit of slack, and I could feel the fish or fishes on the other end, then I would tug quickly hoping to not feel a snag. it worked every time!

We were fishing with live anchovies, small about 3" hooked through the nose and then the tip of their bottom lip. I used a steel hi/low leader I bought at Benicia bait and tackle because of the rocks and nasty teeth everything had, with Eagle Claw 1/0 wide gap bait holder hooks. I have 85# Power Pro braided line main line on a Penn 45GLS.
We were in about 70' of water to the right of the GG near the shore, Marin side. I didn't pay attention to the water temp other than "cold". We caught a total of 10 fish and kept 6 in about an hours time. I'll keep better notes next time and I'll post more, even when we don't catch fish, which is often. I'm having more success everytime though, thanks to the advice of those who do post their success and dismay.

I do have some advice for those who are thinking of venturing out there. We were in a 19' Bayliner open bow, it was a very small tide change that day, 1 foot. The swells were very mild and I don't recall any wind. It was a beautiful day outside the gate even with the fog.
USE YOUR GUT FEELING AND COMMON SENSE, if it doesn't feel right turn around and come back in. Always wear you life jacket and leave a trip plan with someone who cares.

Found out through the friends of boaters, the "Auxillery Coast Guard" at the Berkeley launch ramp the rules are different for boating requirements in open water. You need flares or die for a visual distress signal.

iggybabble
08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Addressing several items, here. First off to the original poster, 30 rockfish and 2 lings for 4 guys fishing coastally along heavily fished waters, great score! That entire area from the Duxbury reef down along Rocky Point, Slide Ranch, Santisomo reef( spelling?) etc gets hammered pretty hard, you did really well! To the guy talking about taking an 18 footer out under the gate, just be careful, choose your weather days wisely etc. If your planning on going out past Land's end on either the Marin or San Fran side, watch those corners in particular. Pt Bonita can get really sloppy, and the water right off Seal Rocks and the Cliff House is badly shoaled, really shallow and you can get big breakers rolling thru there......

bassman408
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
With the right weather report I'd love to get out after rockfish or something but I know zilch about it. Literally nothing. I just started on the Bay this year so hopefully I'll get a chance to figure it out and do something different.

Rockfishing is fairly easy. Just pick up some shrimp fly rigs, preferably in size 3/0. Have tried 5/0 and 7/0 size hooks and they don't work as well. Tip them with squid and you're set. You can also try a jighead + swimbait combo to aim for bigger rockfish and target lings and cabezons.

If you have a fish finder on your boat, just fish along the reefs or any other rocky bottoms and you should be able to hook a couple.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
08-14-2012, 05:21 PM
That was our first trip out the Golden Gate, most of our trips are usually to Bodega Bay, we normally fish off of Fort Ross, but decided to change it up. The guy I know has a 21 foot Sea Ray and the beauty of it is we could get into spots where the charters can't get into. When I go out I take at least 4 white and 4 red and yellow shrimp flys in 3/0. I also have a number of 8, 10, and 12 ounce torpedo weights, usually 5 of each. This year I bought an Okuma Cortez reel and set it up on an Okuma Cedros rod. I also went with 65 pound Power Pro. Braided line is awesome when it comes to rockfish. When your bouncing off the bottom, you feel every rock and every strike.