PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish/Lings out of Bodega bay???

kokrout
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
What is everyone useing out of Bodgea for the lings and rocks. I need Big fish this weekend. Thanks Guys/Gals

reellentless
10-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Kokrout, we've been having the best luck for the big groundfish with swimbaits and scampi's on a 6 oz head fishing in about 140-160 ft. But the lings are moving in on the reefs and were getting alot of them hitch hiking on the shrimp fly rigs. Good Luck and I'll see you out there. Capt. Bob

donzitroller
10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
kokrout, Capt Bob is giving you the dope you need to hear. Big lings hang out under schools of rockfish for a reason. We're not the only ones that like to eat them! We spent some time and caught dabs this past weekend and it kicked out some real nice lings. Live jacksmelt are also good producers for the bigger lings as they move in this time of year. We also got some real nice vermillions on leadhead scampi jigs in the same depth as Capt. Bob mentioned. Good luck and let us know how you do!

TSL
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
who are you going out with?
is it a charter boat or a private boat?
when fishing on a private boat or Bob's six pack charter boat it is easy enough to back up and get unhooked when snagged on the bottom.
if you are going out on a large charter boat when you get hung up...kiss it good-bye.
some riggs work real well but also get hungup more often

TSL

donzitroller
10-10-2006, 08:44 PM
TSL brings up a good point.. I don't normally run bars or lead head jigs.. so, if you are running a sinker at the bottom of your leader, tie it on with some lighter leader than that of your main line and leader. If you get snagged on the bottom and all attempts to retrieve you ball fail, and you have to break it, consider it lead lost and tie another one on. At least you didn't lose your whole rig. Just a thought.

wmgraphics
10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Yea, I like to fish a swim bait while my chum bag does it's thing. After I've fish the area pretty well, I'll throw the biggest live jack or sardine I can find on a my line. I use a sliding rig and maybe a shrimp fly at the bottom line and wait.
Works great... I usually catch a few big lings and a few large rock fish, the chum really brings in the big lings. Also the bait will get in the slick for easy pickins.

good times

Mike