PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to sturgeon and a few gear questions

IronClad
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
So i read the sticky at the top and it was full of great info but it is mostly boat info and i am a banker. Im sort of trying to get into it on the cheap since i only get out to a place where there are sturgeon maybe once or twice a month.

Im trying to decide which rods/reels that i have that i should go with and the line

For a rod ive got an old shakespeare BWB 1130 80

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff252/thantar/Untitled.jpg

For reels i have a tidewater TW30LCL And an old penn monofill no.25

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff252/thantar/untitled1.jpg

And ive had this spool of 80lb dacron kicking around for a while now which i was going to run with a 100lb mono leader or maybe a steel leader i havent decided quite just yet.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff252/thantar/untitled2.jpg

Both reels have bait clickers and the penn has an adjustable one but the tidewater doesnt but the penn is not a levelwind and the tidewater is.

Is what i have sufficient ? or should i try to scrounge up somthing else?. Working with very little cash so going out and buying a new expensive reel or rod is a bit out of the scope.

IronClad
08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Also if it helps any i'll be fishing primarily in the knights landing area

redneckpunk
08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
My preference, from those choices, would be the tide water reel on that rod. As far as line, I'm sure you'll spark some debate. I dont use braid for any fishing I do, and for sturgeon I prefer 25-30lb mono with 60lb mono leader. However, this is from a boat and the bankers may use heavier.

~RNP

Jimmy_M
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure how experienced you are with bait casters (especially large ones) but the tidewater being a levelwind might be easier for you. That rod will work just fine but the longer ones make casting easier. I would suggest either 30# mono or 80# braid, never used the brand you referenced.

BIG_ONE
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
That rod looks small and really old. I know that Ugly Stik have a tendency to shatter(like a bamboo - but they won't snap off like graphite) when they become old. I'd upgrade the rod to at least an 11' if your going to be doing some banking around for the sturgeon. As for the reels, the level wind would do...tidewater.

IronClad
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
That rod looks small and really old. I know that Ugly Stik have a tendency to shatter(like a bamboo - but they won't snap off like graphite) when they become old. I'd upgrade the rod to at least an 11' if your going to be doing some banking around for the sturgeon. As for the reels, the level wind would do...tidewater.

I may have to do some looking around then. The rod is a bit on the shorter side than id like ( 8 foot) but built like a tree trunk. Ive noticed some bankers in the KL area using the shorter rods like 8-9 foot but that doesn't mean its right of course.

Here is a pic of it next to my salmon rod for reference.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff252/thantar/20120822_173443.jpg

It is a bit on the older side but it was still in use up until late last year.

I think im going to try and find a different levelwind though since looking at the line size vs spool size im not going to be able to get a whole lot on that reel.

BIG_ONE
08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Depends where you fish at that really makes all the difference. In KL, you may get away with it but I wouldn't depend on it. I use a 10' at KL and 12' at other places. The thing is, can you fling at least a 10 oz sinker with it, and literally I mean like trying to cast for a touchdown. I own an 8' Big Water Ugly Stik few years ago, and it didn't serve me too well trying to cast something that heavy at that distance. That's if your looking to fish other spots and not only KL or Lisbon Slough...

Ondabank
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I've got a 12' Ugly Stik baitcaster that I'll let go of pretty cheap. PM if you're interested.

nayr
08-25-2012, 08:07 PM
ill re-iterate whats already been said. you wont need more than 25lb mono on your reel or any more than 60 for the leader... i usually have 40lb leader line. i use a spinning reel on a 12ftsurf rod

Spade729
08-26-2012, 06:48 AM
i love my penn 320 gt2 and they are reasonable at like 80 bucks new if ur looking for a new one thats reliable id go with that i own 2 and havnt had a problem yet