PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have some reports from skiffs in...

MinnowMagnet
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
santa cruz or capitola.

clayton
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
hey minnowmagnet, i recognize you from pierfishing.com. im goin this saturday on a capitola skiff. So far from the research i have done from recent reports. it looks like there are lot of barracudas. other than that, i have not heard about the rockfish and halibut.

edit---

here is what i found:

Anglers drifting squid near the bottom nailed some quality barracuda near Capitola. The rockcod and lingcod fishing was great at Ano Nuevo with limits of rockfish reported, while the rockfish action was decent at Natural Bridges and South Rock.

ghostfish_slayer
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
if the cuda's are still there..i havn't been out in a few weeks. if they are still there.fish the edges of the kelp beds at the point between capi and the sc harbor.with a #5 die crock.or somthing shiny like it.cast it out,let it sink a little,burn it in,then stop about every 5 -10 feet.they usually run smack into it with their mouths wide open when it stops.you will feel it.jigging them also works.the last time out i stopped counting after 10..that was just me..my dad had about the same.take a light rod with light line then tie on a couple feet of heavy leader.25 lb test for their teeth.you will have more fun.once you hook them,they usually come right to the boat but if you let them look at you for a bit.then they get peed and take off for a couple good runs.oh yeah,,take some long hook removers/pliers for releasing them at the side of the boat if you want.i ended up going barbless to make it easier.

bobby
10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
hey guys..

i lie in Cap... I just went out, still plenty of rockies being caught, ask Ed at the wharf for the reef locations, or fish near the kelp..

i al fish in the kelp channele right off the point, we always get a few in there!

bobby
10-05-2006, 09:26 AM
hey guys..

i lie in Cap... I just went out, still plenty of rockies being caught, ask Ed at the wharf for the reef locations, or fish near the kelp..

i al fish in the kelp channele right off the point, we always get a few in there!

clayton
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
went out to santa cruz and rented the skiffs. Went south off the pier to the reefs and caught some lings and rockfish. they've been quite hungry, so its a good time to go.

bobby
10-09-2006, 08:54 AM
how many lings did u land? Keepers? Live bait?

clayton
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
we had 4 ppl on the skiffs. we kept 2 total and let 1 go cause it was 22 inches. im not sure exactly how many ling bites we got cause they just feel like a snag on the bite! so we might have several more bites. we just used 2 flys and tipped them squid. im pretty sure it was when a small rockfish hooked onto our hook and a ling went to engulf the fish. cause when i pulled mines out, there was a little rocky on the same hook with some scratches.

what happened was that i believe my line got snagged. i dont think it was a ling bite. and while i was jus pullin the line hoping it broke free somehow, the line jus suddenly unsnagged and 1 second later my rod just dipped HARD. so then i reeled it in and a big ling came in.

if anyone does go out there, use some big hooks. like dont be shy to use some 7/0's. 5/0's the least. i brought in some small rockfish that i released but really had trouble getting back down. many of them made it but some got swooped by the seagull. so use big hooks! 7/0's would save u the trouble of having to worry bout those little ones.