PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay Albacore

SLOfisher
10-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I was down at Virg's Landing this morning, and asked how the Albacore fishing was going. They said they had a boat out yesterday that got 72 fish for 24 anglers, largest one around 20 pounds. Two-day trips are $225.00, which is a little steep for me, so unless they move in a lot closer I suppose I'll remain "Albacore-less".

Fish_R_Us
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Wonder how far out they had to go to find the albies?

keciga1
10-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the report SLO. Let me know when they move in closer and mayebe we can hook up and go on a albie trip together. Last time I was down there I went on a rockie trip on one of the boats and the captain was a lady. She put us on some nice fish and she goes out for albies too.

triggerfish
10-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Slo,you can always jumpin your car drive threw ventura co.,L.A. co.,orange co. then san diego co. and save 20 bucks on the fare on the boat. they are there! I would jump on the oppertunity. some times it takes YEARS for them to show BACK UP! JUST my opinion, TRIGGER ;)

SLOfisher
10-05-2006, 08:17 PM
keciga:

They are going out around 70 miles to get to them right now. WAY farther than I am willing to venture out in my boat. Not only that, it is pretty much straight into the swell all the way out. Not my kind of fun. I can't remember the ladie's names, but there are a mother/daughter that both run boats out of Virg's, but I don't think either of them run the big boat (Admiral) that they take out for the Albacore.

triggerfish:

Drive 350 miles, spend $100.00 on gas to save $20.00? That sounds like something my wife would do to save a dollar on a sale at Gottschalks. ;D

triggerfish
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
All I am saying is getem while you can!!! Soon there will be nothing to fish for,except sand dabs! unless those become indangered too!

keciga1
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Slo, You must have missunderstood me, what I ment is if they come in closer to go out on a charter.

SLOfisher
10-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Slo, You must have missunderstood me, what I ment is if they come in closer to go out on a charter.

keciga:

Okay, now I get it. :-[ I don't know much about Albacore fishing. Do they ever get in as close as twenty miles or so? If so, I would take my boat out that far.

keciga1
10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know if they get in that close in. It all depends on the water temp and color. I have read that on certain years (El Nino) they come in closer than other years. I think they would get in as close as 40mi in, but that is still a long ways out there. Mayebe someone else would be able to help us on this subject. I know that down in by San Diego they make it pretty close in but not sure how close.

NRJohn
10-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Albacore can move in pretty close but haven't done so in years. The bite that is going on now is the first sustained bite in a couple of years. Last year was pretty much a bust except of a couple of boats that got into them. Year before that wasn't much better until some fish moved within range in mid Nov. That was the last time I fished for them up until last weekend.

Late 90's I caught albacore in water less than 300' deep! It was amazing because we were fishing inside of the rock cod party boats. Couldn't have been more than a few miles from the Rock. If I would have known what I was doing I'd never have put lines in the water but then when you see jumpers it's usually a good sign. Boats were buzzing past us probably wondering what the hell is that guy doing. After we got our first jig strike and gave the numbers out it didn't take long for the boats to arrive though. We ended up with 4 toads all over 50lbs.

keciga1
10-06-2006, 02:45 PM
That would be nice :o , but the chances of them getting in that close any time soon is very slim. Thanks for the info. We can always cross our fingers.

triggerfish
10-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Bayside is reporting that a 6 pack got into some big fish that they had on for over 1 hour.They could not get them in. It was around cape san martin bouy. they did get in 10 albacore. If you guys catch a big bluefin,its over!!! There is NO known cure for TUNA feaver.Lets hope they come in and stay awhile!! ;)