PDA

View Full Version : Prospecting tuna out of bodega

brokea--boater
08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
My buddy calls me and says there a hard break out of Bodega that looks real fishy, but no intel or #s to run to. On the road Monday morining 2 am. Splash at westside at darkthirty. We have a buddy boat to run with. 45 mile run to the break in FAC seas. Seven rods out nobody home. The young guns in the buddy boat start picking away at them. We fish the same area and cant crack the code.
Drag everthing we have on board. Young guns say adios and head to the barn. We stay late to save face to end our day four fish, two farmed. We are use to being one of the high count boats but not this day. Wind starts in a hurry, we start our 3 1/2 hr run down hill in the slop. Hats off to Dave and his crew for boxing 16-17, one @31.5 lbs.

iggybabble
08-29-2012, 08:01 PM
That's kinda puzzling! Were you fishing about the same type of lures? If you were dragging lures that spent more time on the surface vs digging down a little that could make a difference, otherwise distance behind the boat or trolling speed would be my hunch...........I think it's a real longshot, but were they using fluorocarbon leaders while you guys used the typical #80-120 lb standard mono leaders? Again, let me stress from my experience these fish aren't leader shy on the troll........I'm guessing the most likely answer has to do with trolling speed and pattern/distance from your two boats......

brokea--boater
08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi iggy, to me its more than puzzling!! This was my first trip on this paticular boat, and couldn't belive that we could not raise the fish. We and the other boat were the only ones out there, it truly was a prospecting run. Buddy boat beat us out there and called his # on their first hookup gave us color pattern, set back. I did notice that the other boat was trolling slightly faster, maybe it raises fish better. I made the comment that the troll speed might be key, but the Capt. made it clear that we were a proper speed. When Im a guest onboard and its a tough day out there, I may make a light suggestion. If its not what they want to hear I accept that its his boat and leave it at that. I catch lots of tuna with my normal fishing buds. We got back, helped clean the boat and paid my share of truck/boat fuel. I got an invite to come back and fish with him anytime. Its all good in the end. But I too have to wonder what the heck was off.

iggybabble
09-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Different lures require different speeds for best results. It sounds like you guys had everything else duplicated, coordinates, lure type and color, distance from the boat.......that's the problem when you go out on someone elses boat, they may not be willing to listen to any suggestions! The simple fact that YOU noticed that the other boat was trolling at a different speed suggests that this was a factor in your lack of success...if in doubt, you copy everything that the other guy is doing. Better luck in the future! Bob

whitecap
09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Hey,
Next time you guys run for tuna, give me a ring.I've been looking to hook up with a buddy boat or two.Westside is my home port.Going for salmon and lings tomorrow.Austin@707-364-2194.Thanks.Oh my boat is a 24' skipjack.

brokea--boater
09-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey Austin, I'll save this post and your# when theres some good looking water that hope to try again. Looks like monterey is the place be right now.... btw 24 skippy open is what I have building a Pilot House for now.........gregg

iggybabble
09-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Unless we have a really big El Nino year, Monterey is usually the place to be! The longfins come in closer as they follow the deep water of the Monterey Canyon. Frequently they move way offshore again as they head north, and they tend to get much closer in off of Pt Arena or Ft Bragg. The entire Gulf of the Farallones region, which encompasses the waters offshore from roughly HMB on the south to the Bodega Bay/ Cordell Banks area to the north is a huge mouth of a river delta, it's really shallow, cold, and full of freshwater runoff.........