PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sick Meds

jgr7
09-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Thought I'd let any one in the Vacaville area that belongs to Kaiser that they now have Scopace tablets (scopolamine) http://www.scopace.com/
I took the info from the web site to the Kaiser Pharmacy and they told me they didn't have it, so I left all the info with my Dr. with a note to call me. A few days later he called and ordered me a prescription. Less that a week later went in and picked it up. 50 tabs *for $10 on my plan. Not bad .20c a tab. I'm sure any Kaiser Pharmacy and Dr. could get these for any member. I'm looking forward to trying them as I now use the Scopolamine patches and they work great for me but are a 3 day dose and a waste for only a day trip, you also have to put them on the night befor for them to be effective. The pills you take 1 hour befor trip.
Hope this helps some fellow sea sick fisher men and women.
Jeff

keciga1
09-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanx for the info. I've been wanted to try some for a while.

ocean_314
09-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Bonnie works better

RIGHTHOOK
09-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Why go prescription????? You can get ginger root pills at GNC or The Vitamin Shop....they work better than any sea sick scrip ive ever taken....and they dont put you to sleep. Just took some a few months ago on a trip to Catalina island.....worked great ZERO side effects aside from a "touch" of heartburn. ;)

HollyWentFishin
09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I've never taken sea sickness medications. I've never gotten seasick, although I'm always afraid I might. Problem is, I'm afraid if I ever do take some, it'll make me sick. Nah, think I'll just keep my eyes on the horizon :)

FF_MYRL
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
ginger works great for my wife. she has tried alot of different meds and bracelets. nothing worked as well as ginger, for her.

keciga1
09-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Bonine does not work for me at all. The only time I got seasick was when I took Bonine. Dranamine works good but I just purcheased some ginger pills to try them out.

CORN
09-03-2006, 05:46 AM
I'm a wimp when it comes to motion sickness. *Dramamine and Bonine are the same thing. *They both contain 25 mg of meclizine hydrochloride. *I've puked half the time when using either one of those. *They also make me so drowsy, it gets dangerous driving home. *I actually fell asleep once while driving and woke up as I started to drive off the road.

Ginger products don't work for me. *I also bought the $149 Relief Band when it first came out. *That didn't do squat either.

The scopolamine patch has worked the best for me. *I've puked once in about 20 trips. *

Bottom line is that everyone has to find what works for them.

Thanks for the info on Scopace. *I was never able to get it from Kaiser before.

jgr7
09-03-2006, 07:23 AM
I have also tried everything on the market and I'm an expert puker. The patch works the best for ME but still not every time. When the fog closes in and the swells are above 4ft every 5 sec. it is just a matter of time before I blow. I just wanted to give this info on scopolamine pills to any one that wanted to try it and hadn't been able to get it before. Always use what works best for you.
Jeff

Rusty_Hooks
09-03-2006, 08:17 AM
The only problem with scopalomine is that you are forced to tell the truth about the trip ;D ;D ;)

BTW....if you use Bonine...Longs has the generic equal in bottles of 100 tablets for $10.....same mg. level ;)

AND......new bracelts with pressure tabs are available with electroshock included......now you can go fishing and get your electroshock therapy at the same time.... :-/

does that make fishing deductable??..... ;D ;)

kromebrite
09-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Bottom line is that everyone has to find what works for them.

Yep ;)

isaaco77
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I found that if you ever start to feel queezy look off at the horizon and you will get your bearings back and feel better almost instantly. Try not to focus on anything close to you. The worst is when your tying on your leader or something like that while the boat is rockin and rollin.
I've taken Dramamine before and it made me feel worse than any sea sickness would.

jgr7
09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
If the horizon is gone like in fog I'm screwed, also I try to just drive the boat and let my buddy do all the rigging. We take turn reeling in the fish.

ot
09-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Its really weird, when I fish from a boat inside the bay, I never get seasick. Boat bouncing up and down, side to side in the bay and nothing ever. I go out to santa cruz and the waves are not big at all and instantly I get seasick. I keep me eyes on the horizon and it helps but eventually I have to bait my hook.

OT

fish4fun
09-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info on Kaiser having scopolamine (Scopace). Went to my Kaiser in Santa Rosa and got it. It cost me five times as much per tablet as it cost you. I had a $20 co-pay for 20 tablets. That's $1 per tablet. If my doctor had prescribed 50 tablets, it would have still only cost me a $20 co-pay or twice as much as it cost you. That's what I'll do next time if they work well for me. I've been taking meclizine. It works, but not all the time. I don't like the side effects. Hope the Scopace works well on me without the side effects.. Larry

kromebrite
09-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Its really weird, when I fish from a boat inside the bay, I never get seasick. *Boat bouncing up and down, side to side in the bay and nothing ever. *I go out to santa cruz and the waves are not big at all and instantly I get seasick. I keep me eyes on the horizon and it helps but eventually I have to bait my hook.

OT

It has to do with the type of waves and the size of the boat you are on. Big rollers cause more of the motion feeling than sharp wind waves found in the bay. Plus I imagine that there is a psychological component;you can be on land in a minute in the bay but the ocean gives the feeling of no escape.
So I have been of the coast Of Cabo in a panga with waves crashing over me(literally) and not felt sick at all. Then I go obn a 55 foot PB out of Bodega and it's chunk city.
I have faith in bonine, though. I'm almost ready to take Team Sheryl Lee up on his gracious offer to take me out ;) ;D
Seriously, I plan on doing a recon trip on a PB out of Bodega one of these days to really put the ol Bonine to the test. Worst that happens is that I hurl and feel like my guts are being torn out of me. Otherwise, no problem. ;)

Rusty_Hooks
09-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Worst that happens is that I hurl and feel like my guts are being torn out of me. Otherwise, no problem. ;)

:P....no further comment needed.... :-X

red_dog
09-04-2006, 09:01 PM
I too get sea sick very easy, I use to use dramine and then started taking pure meclizine HCI both of these meds made me ultra tired and like others I was nearly falling asleep on the drive home. Then I tried the ginger root pills, the day was nearly flat clam and I got sick twice. After that I did some research and found a product called Marezine (Cyclizine Hydrochloride 50 mg). Two of these work best for me, the only draw back is most drugstores don’t carry it, you can get it on line or some Albertson pharmacies can order it. Good luck.

kromebrite
09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Personally, I counter the sedating effects of bonine with caffeine(coffee, Red Bull etc)

Off_The_Hook
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
As someone said earlier, everyone needs to find out what works for them. I've used Dramamine and Bonine. Both work somewhat good for me, but they make me so tired that I'd probably ckoke on my own vomit if I blew. I tried going out without taking anything last season. I figured, how do I know if I get seasick if I have never gone out without taking anything? Well, that was dumb! I puked till I was nearly dead. After that, I figured out what worked best for me: The Scopalamine patch, Zantac the night before, and Zantac in the morning. That combination works like magic for me. No side effects, and zero sea sickness.

blue_chrush
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
you will not be able to get scopace pills over the counter... doctor only...

heres what you need.....
here's one for everyone taking guys out.....
A MUST HAVE ON THE BOAT....

COSTCO.....
has 100 tables of MECLIZINE HCI for $6.00
that's a deal....
it is the equivalent of scopace pills...
they can be chewed or if a person is sick
put under the tongue and will stop the heaves....
I now require fishing buddies to take one if
they don't fish with me all the time.....
the pills have way less side effects than Dramamine....
and last a full 8hrs no problem....
check it out...

these you can get over the counter......no problem

in walgreens your gonna pay 6.00
for 12/20 tables....

cabbagehead
09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I chew a lot... used to drink a lot, and now an occasional drinker. When drinking, I bum a smoke sometimes. I think all this stuff stops me from getting seasick, cause I feel a little wobbly on land...out at sea it all evens up. ::)

Xpark
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I always get sick not matter what i tryed , i try meclizine and the bands on the wrist and it work and that was the time i had so use works and dont wory about the price, wend you dont get sick it is worth it ok so go out and get her done ok Raul

CaliFishier
09-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, i think that i need some of that too, today went out to Bodega for my first ocean trip ever, and after 30 min. had to get the hell out off the water *:o cause can't stay a second more over the pretty big waves.
So, i did my best, but the last 15 min. were terrible.

hqly2001
10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
I called kaiser and the nurse said she only has the patch for perscription.. but no pills... i told her that a friend was able to get it through his doctor and she said it's impossible.. they dont carry pills.. can anyone provide me with the exact name or something for me to prove it to them? i would like to try the pills rather then the patch..
thanks

jgr7
10-04-2006, 07:01 PM
If you read my post that started this thread I took the DR. information that I got from this website http://www.scopace.com/ to the Kaiser pharmacy in Vacaville and they told me that they didn't have it. I then went to my Kaiser Dr and gave him the info. I left it at the front desk with a note to him. He called me a few days later and talked to me about it for a couple of minutes and then put the order in to the pharmacy. I picked it up at the end of the week. If you talk to your doctor have him give you a script for 50. Mine did and it is the same cost as for 20 with my plan $10. He also made it with 2 refills.
Jeff

hqly2001
10-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I did read ur post. problem was i had to get through the advice nurse before i get to talk to my doctor. Anyhow she called and does not believe that they carry the pill and prescribed the patch instead. But i asked that she look into the pills for me and will get back to me in a day. Do the pills work for you? Does it make you as drowsy as other meds? I'm using less drowsy dramamine but i want to get something cheaper that works better instead.. hope this pill works for me..

jgr7
10-05-2006, 03:32 AM
I haven't used them yet, but I have been using the patch for years and it works very good for me. I didn't call I went in with the information.
Jeff

hooklinesinker
10-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Use ginger pills Mythbusters showed that it works well and you don't get any of the side effects

ZACK
10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
You guys are all trippin!!!

I take 1 ˝ tab of LSD by mouth (usually either “Gooney Bird”, or “Mickey Mouse” brand followed by a 6 pack of beer to counter act any bad acid effects and I'm straight. The LSD helps my equilibrium by making all of the swells flat calm if I tell them too.

Good luck ZACK! ;D

Disclaimer: don’t try this at home without a hand written prescription from Dr. Timothy Leary (RIP)

hqly2001
10-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Got them through my doctor by talking to her.
If anyone has taken them, let me know if they work well for you and if the side affects are really bad.

CORN
10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
My buddy tried some for the first time when he went fishing with me a few weeks ago. Very convenient. He took them when he woke up and didn't feel woosy until we got to HMB. Then he almost fell down when he was putting on his rain pants. lol. That was the only side effect. Drowsiness. He didn't get dry mouth, which occurs with most people on scopalomine. By the time we went home, the pill effects had worn off. I'll have to try it sometime. Just remember, different responses with different people.

hqly2001
10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
hahaha... dang! i wanted soemthing that would not cause severe drowsiness... if ur buddy almost fell down.. i'll probably be on the floor haha... too funny.. i'd rather have dry mouth then drowsiness..