PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Northeast

rkjohnson2
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
I will soon be moving to the SF bay area from Long Island in New York. On the east coast, I'm an avid fisherman, typically from the beach or kayak. I'm wondering how good the surf fishing is in the San Francisco area, or whether I'd largely be wasting my time if I'm not on a boat.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what gear I would need, please don't hesitate to speak up.

Basically any information will be much appreciated.

Tight lines,
RKJ

triggerfish
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
RKJ,welcome ! I will give you a quick run down on what to expect. Winter monthes Sturegon is king,with occasonal striper. In march /april the stripers start to migrate into the rivers to spawn. then the shad will follow them around may. around april/may the halibut show up in S.F. bay. In april the salmon season starts also. but usally 10+ miles offshore. come June/augest stripers will be on the beach out side the gate.Don't get too excited,nothing close to east coast. Come july rockfish/ling cod opens up. augest/october salmon migrate into the rivers,along with a nother run of stripers.November comes that means crab season. expect to use 20# test most of the time,some use heaver,some use lighter.

triggerfish
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
There is also surf perch,rays ,sharks.but I don't target them. Surf fishing is pretty limited. We aslo have good lake fishing for Trout,salmon,black bass,panfish.

keciga1
10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the boards. Triggerfish pretty much sumed it up for you. All in all there is fishing year round. It all depends what you are into.

rkjohnson2
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
keciga,

Thanks for the wealth of information! So am I right in assuming tha only really stripers, shad, and halibut would be accessible from the beach? I'm definitely the hiking and rock hopping to get to fishing spots, so that's ok if that's what it requires. Do people out there use firewire or powerpro line? I'm looking at getting a st croix 9'6" with a penn 5500ss for when I get out there. Does that seem reasonable? My 10' 1 piece lamiglas seems like a pain to bring with me.

Are the stripers out in SF on lures? or bait? or both?

Thanks again!

RKJ,welcome ! I will give you a quick run down on what to expect. Winter monthes Sturegon is king,with occasonal striper. In march /april the stripers start to migrate into the rivers to spawn. then the shad will follow them around may. around april/may the halibut show up in S.F. bay. In april the salmon season starts also. but usally 10+ miles offshore. come June/augest stripers will be on the beach out side the gate.Don't get too excited,nothing close to east coast. Come july rockfish/ling cod opens up. augest/october salmon migrate into the rivers,along with a nother run of stripers.November comes that means crab season. expect to use 20# test most of the time,some use heaver,some use lighter.

ITUKAWAL
10-04-2006, 01:17 PM
RKJ, welcome to the FishSniffer Forum. We have a number of guys that surf cast just South of S.F.

916Steelhead ( aka Carlo ) comes to mind. I'll be fishing with him weekend after next. PM him. I'm sure he will be helpfull.

ITUKAWAL aka Steve

Rusty_Hooks
10-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Plugging for stripers just south of SF on the ocean coast runs hot and cold but it is definitly a go when they are there.

Don't forget all of the trout fishing in the hills.....(that's something a little different than upstate too).

The hills out here go up to 10-12k.....and the trout fishing is pretty good

and the bass in the lakes and the crappie in the spring..... ;)

We'll keep you busy ::)

Oh.........................BTW................Welc ome to the boards ::)

Master_Caster
10-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey RKJ,
Check out www.pierfishing.com. Probably one of the most comprehensive sites dedicated to shore/rock/pier angling and they are centered right here in the Bay area.

Tight Lines

sethonious
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
RKJ- you are correct that stipers, shad and halibut can be had from the shore, BUT if you are down to hike and rock hop don't forget about the rockfish (cabs and lings) as well as the crabs. Go North away form the SF bay itself and hit up some rocky shores.