PDA

View Full Version : I thought that feral pigeons were made non-game species?

calamari
09-03-2012, 03:07 PM
In the past you could only hunt feral pigeons during band tail pigeon season and then DFG changed the reg.s to add them to the list of non-game species. The reg.s this year don't list them. Anybody know what happened? Did the pigeon racers buy another lunch?
472. General Provisions.

Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.

(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).

CRABBY
09-03-2012, 04:07 PM
In the past you could only hunt feral pigeons during band tail pigeon season and then DFG changed the reg.s to add them to the list of non-game species. The reg.s this year don't list them. Anybody know what happened? Did the pigeon racers buy another lunch?
472. General Provisions.

Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.

(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).This just my personal feeling an belief,WHY shoot any Pigeons,beautiful friendly birds???...Don

calamari
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
This just my personal feeling an belief,WHY shoot any Pigeons,beautiful friendly birds???...Don
I understand that feeling but sometimes pigeons will get into barns and fowl animal feed or roost near places where you don't want their droppings. The same argument you make can be made for ducks, deer or fish and yet this is a fishing forum with a hunting board. I've always enjoyed shooting pigeons because they're hard to hit, decoy like ducks and are delicious if you know how to cook game.
Do you race them? A friend does and some of his pigeons cost him many hundreds of dollars so I can see why removing the restriction is problematic.

BIG_ONE
09-03-2012, 06:40 PM
This just my personal feeling an belief,WHY shoot any Pigeons,beautiful friendly birds???...Don

That is because are yummy. LOL. In other places, feral pigeons are considered rats with wings.

CRABBY
09-03-2012, 07:08 PM
No I don't race pigeons nor have them as pets,I'm also an ex hunter of anything that walked,crawled,or flew!!! I guess in my old age I have learned to appreciate stuff in a different way I suppose,don't get me wrong or misunderstand,I still shoot anything that threatens my Kitties.Dogs or Livestock,do it all the time!!Kao,I have some real Rats for ya if ya wanna come get em,lol......Don

calamari
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
No I don't race pigeons nor have them as pets,I'm also an ex hunter of anything that walked,crawled,or flew!!! I guess in my old age I have learned to appreciate stuff in a different way I suppose,don't get me wrong or misunderstand,I still shoot anything that threatens my Kitties.Dogs or Livestock,do it all the time!!Kao,I have some real Rats for ya if ya wanna come get em,lol......Don
I'm getting more appreciative of wildlife in a non consumptive way as I age too but some things are still tasty and they have more of a chance than a steer in a slaughterhouse. I'm respectful of what they give me and utilize all of them that I can.
As far as "rats with wings" that does them a disservice both in the field and on the table.

shasta_steve
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

I too have mellowed as I get older but I am not a fan of pigeons. Where I work in South Sac we used to have about a hundred of them. Man they make a mess. We finally got tired of the boss screaming about all the mess and had to call in a exterminator to trap them.

I did knock a couple of young ones out of the nest, just before they could fly, and they were pretty tasty.

bretmoua
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Pigeons out in the middle of no where are consider a non game species and therefore have no limit on them. It's all you can eat. That's what the wildlife man from DFG told me when I called and ask. The receptionist did not know and the game warden was clueless as well so I was transferred to a wildlife man, and he gave me the answer I was looking for. Pigeons are considered a nuisance to dairy farms and if you know someone who owns a dairy with a lot of pigeons, its even better. Shoot all you want! On the dove opener, I did manage to shoot two pigeons. They are a lot bigger than the doves and are better eating.

49erbassman
09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Pigeons are vial annoying creatures. We don't get along well at all. I don't hate too many wildlife creatures but Hate pigeons with a passion! I have hit 3 of them with my truck in the past 3 years and att old house they took up residence in my eves leaving presents for me to clean on a daily basis. Sorry to get off subject 😄

CRABBY
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Pigeons are vial annoying creatures. We don't get along well at all. I don't hate too many wildlife creatures but Hate pigeons with a passion! I have hit 3 of them with my truck in the past 3 years and att old house they took up residence in my eves leaving presents for me to clean on a daily basis. Sorry to get off subject Oh well I still like em,guess I'm outnoumberd here,of course my PETA brained wife now feeds the fawns that come around here an calls them her babies,like all here it's just a difference of opinion's an life style an where Ya Live an what ya deal with day to day..!!!Good luck to all ya hunters out there!!!!!....Pigeons,Quail,Rabbit,deer,whatever,j ust don't waste what ya get cus your just out for braggin rights,plus #'s,an that is why I stopped hunting on my property for all!!!!Eat an enjoy,forked horn tastes as good an a 8 pointer......Don

BIG_ONE
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks but no thank you Don, I've had enough issues with rats coming into my garage, climbing outside of my window and what not. These rats issues of mine comes from little bitty hamster size to a full grown guinea pigs. Everyone who lives near the levee knows that they all have this issue...LOL.

49erbassman
09-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Get an infestation so bad that your concrete is ruined from poo and your rain gutters are growing grass there is so much poo in them and you will grow to dislike them Don hahaha. Top that off with 3 different times hitting them driving down the freeway and it adds up to my dislike. My uncle even had a bunch as pets when I was a kid. I don't hunt anymore because I hate having to clean all that after a great day of the outdoors. Same reason why I CnR 90% of the fish I catch. I despise them so much I don't even think I could stomach eating one lol

BigUnInDaBoat
06-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh well I still like em,guess I'm outnoumberd here,of course my PETA brained wife now feeds the fawns that come around here an calls them her babies,like all here it's just a difference of opinion's an life style an where Ya Live an what ya deal with day to day..!!!Good luck to all ya hunters out there!!!!!....Pigeons,Quail,Rabbit,deer,whatever,j ust don't waste what ya get cus your just out for braggin rights,plus #'s,an that is why I stopped hunting on my property for all!!!!Eat an enjoy,forked horn tastes as good an a 8 pointer......Don

If fish and wildlife finds out that your wife is feeding the deer, you will get a FAT ticket. I know firsthand of friends who have been fined for doing so. Not even legally allowed to feed birds in Kaliforniastan.

That 8 pointers teeth are probably nice and worn down, and in a few seasons if not harvested will have a good chance at starving to death. Better to harvest mature animals and let young ones grow and breed more.

As far as pigeons go I'm with the majority of the hunters on this topic. Great sport and eating. When I was a teenager growing up in the central valley, having dairy farms I could hunt at, the farmers wanted up to shoot as many pigeons as possible. I learned then that pigeon are delicious and a kick in the pants to hunt if they are prolific in your area. "rats" (with wings) sick of hearing people say that when they find out I eat grey squirrel, feel the same way when I hear somebody referring to pigeons that way.

Maybe pigeon racers should not race their birds for two lousy weeks out of the year if they are even concerned about losing a bird.

Seems like nowadays even Ex hunters are against legal, sporting rights of fellow sportsmen.

/rant off.

bretmoua
07-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Did someone say Pigeons? LOL. I shot half and my wife shot the other half. Total of 40 using a break barrel pellet gun. Injured just as much LOL. Great day of shooting.

CRABBY
07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
If fish and wildlife finds out that your wife is feeding the deer, you will get a FAT ticket. I know firsthand of friends who have been fined for doing so. Not even legally allowed to feed birds in Kaliforniastan.

That 8 pointers teeth are probably nice and worn down, and in a few seasons if not harvested will have a good chance at starving to death. Better to harvest mature animals and let young ones grow and breed more.

As far as pigeons go I'm with the majority of the hunters on this topic. Great sport and eating. When I was a teenager growing up in the central valley, having dairy farms I could hunt at, the farmers wanted up to shoot as many pigeons as possible. I learned then that pigeon are delicious and a kick in the pants to hunt if they are prolific in your area. "rats" (with wings) sick of hearing people say that when they find out I eat grey squirrel, feel the same way when I hear somebody referring to pigeons that way.

Maybe pigeon racers should not race their birds for two lousy weeks out of the year if they are even concerned about losing a bird.

Seems like nowadays even Ex hunters are against legal, sporting rights of fellow sportsmen.

/rant off.Naw not a problem,she just throws old bread out now an then for whatever wants it,she knows all about the illegal thing!!But we have a sub-division close by(Lake Wildwood)where they put out food daily for deer,coons an what not!!STUPID.

CRABBY
07-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Did someone say Pigeons? LOL. I shot half and my wife shot the other half. Total of 40 using a break barrel pellet gun. Injured just as much LOL. Great day of shooting.To each there own I guess!!:lipsrsealed:

bretmoua
07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Lol lol lol

BigUnInDaBoat
07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Lol lol lol Are you using those birds? I checked out your Facebook and it seems you are strictly a meat fisherman? Nothing wrong with it, just curious.

bretmoua
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't eat the birds. I pass them out evenly amount my mom, mother in law, aunts, and uncles too. So at the end, everyone gets 5 birds each. Everyone is happy and so am I. I like to help out when I can. Now fish, on the other hand, is a different story, especially when stripers are only two per person. Those are too good to share. LoL.
I still can't believe you went through my Facebook page without even trying to add me as a friend. LOL

BigUnInDaBoat
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't eat the birds. I pass them out evenly amount my mom, mother in law, aunts, and uncles too. So at the end, everyone gets 5 birds each. Everyone is happy and so am I. I like to help out when I can. Now fish, on the other hand, is a different story, especially when stripers are only two per person. Those are too good to share. LoL.
I still can't believe you went through my Facebook page without even trying to add me as a friend. LOL

I did not go through your page just looked at your fish pics, haha. I have 12 people friended, it's not personal, :)

Peace BUIDB

BigUnInDaBoat
07-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Right on Crabby, The deer i have on my property are not fed by anyone. Nor are the squirrels or turkey, none of my neighbors hunt, and I'm in good with them all. This morning I had two buck in velvet about 50 yards from my house, which backs up to wilderness. They seem to be prolific here, with little hunting pressure. First year I'll be using my bow, little did I know my grey squirrel ground would turn into my deer zone. I know the area and the trails. I'm stoked.

Peace BUIDB

bretmoua
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I bet the wait is killing you. LOL

BigUnInDaBoat
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I bet the wait is killing you. LOL

Not with it over 100* at 4000'

CRABBY
07-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I did not go through your page just looked at your fish pics, haha. I have 12 people friended, it's not personal, :)

Peace BUIDBFacebook is yuppieville,I closed my account!!Will never go back!!Just me I guess!!!:oldangryman:

BigUnInDaBoat
07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Facebook is yuppieville,I closed my account!!Will never go back!!Just me I guess!!!:oldangryman:

Yea I had a ton of friends on there at one point, right before America screwed up and re-elected the idiot in the whitehouse. I couldn't take everyone talking out of their "you know whats" about things they have no idea about or should even be concerned with.

Now I have a few very very select people I have friended.

dabalone
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Facebook is yuppieville,I closed my account!!Will never go back!!Just me I guess!!!:oldangryman:

I also closed my account some time ago, waay too much info sharing from the young ones in the family that I shouldn't know or care to know. Some of the adults share too much also. I am not a really a private person but seems people on these social sites are way to willing to share personal info with no thought about who may read it. Email or phone works just fine.

CAL.NDN
07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Lol you old duffs had face book acount lmao. Ive never even been on it yet. Not my thing. What dab where ya been man busy like a beaver????? Or get tired the fish sniffer family drama.

CRABBY
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Lol you old duffs had face book acount lmao. Ive never even been on it yet. Not my thing. What dab where ya been man busy like a beaver????? Or get tired the fish sniffer family drama.Dabi is good,just to much drama here an kind of a gang like mentality at times!!!Chris facebook is stupid,make 1 freind an soon ya got a 100 more,ya don't even know em!!!!Bunch of social media BS!!!Along with the tweet freeks!!!JMO...CRABBY....:rolleyes2:

CAL.NDN
07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Its more like friends and they back them right or wrong then school them if they wrong but in private. You know how it is and should be done.

CRABBY
07-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Its more like friends and they back them right or wrong then school them if they wrong but in private. You know how it is and should be done.You understand as I knew you would!!!:clap:

bretmoua
07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
LOL Funny how the conversation about feral pigeons turned into a quick conversation on Facebook. LOL

dabalone
07-03-2013, 08:26 PM
LOL Funny how the conversation about feral pigeons turned into a quick conversation on Facebook. LOL

Back to pidgeons. I have friends who own restaurants and cafes, most with outdoor seating and smoking areas, pidgeons are a real problem for them and they spend a good bit dealing with them and cleaning up their mess. They really can be problamatic around homes and businesses and I have no problem with people shooting or trapping them. Personally I just never felt right about shooting them, even in the field.

rainbowkiller
07-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Pigeons are vial annoying creatures. We don't get along well at all. I don't hate too many wildlife creatures but Hate pigeons with a passion! I have hit 3 of them with my truck in the past 3 years and att old house they took up residence in my eves leaving presents for me to clean on a daily basis. Sorry to get off subject 

Lmao this thread is classic sorry if I'm cynical for seeing the humor in some of these comments...Im ashamed lol