PDA

View Full Version : Rockfishing in Half Moon Bay

fred1
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I live in HMB and want to get into rockfishing from shore. Any spots, tips, rig advice, etc would be much appreciated. If you are into fishing for surf perch and would like to give some info as well that would be great.

Cheers!

Fish_R_Us
09-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the Sniffer Board,

There are rocky areas north of HMB, (Montara, Moss Beach, Mori point, Pacifica) however those areas are fished pretty heavily. The better areas are from Pescadero south to the San Mateo/Santa Cruz countyline (Bean Hollow, Pigeon Point, Ano Nuevo).

I suggest that you review the back-postings on this board. Places, methods, tips and alot of valuable info have been discussed in depth, and are contained in the old posts. Please check them out and if you have other questions, somebody out here can hopefully provide some info. Good Luck.

CORN
09-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I've seen guys catch all kinds of fish along the jetty that surrounds the harbor at HMB. Use a surf rig, with the weight at the bottom and 2 hooks above, separated by 1 foot or so. Use squid. Good luck.

Lotsa bird crap though ... so bring a mask. I'd wear a life vest if the water is rough, or don't head out there on those days.

Fish_R_Us
09-29-2006, 04:41 PM
That rock jetty is know as the Princetown Jetty because it surrounds Princetown Harbor which is about 10 minutes north of HMB. You can also bring your crab nets & snares, I 've seen some nice crabs taken on the sea-ward side of the jetty. I 've also witnessed sneaker waves roll up and over the jetty so that place is pretty much for fair weather fishing. The jetty has been discussed in depth in back issues of this board.

MB_Kevin
09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
I stoped by there to fish after work one day and walked out about 1/2 way. Some guys walked by and said "you need to go to the end to get fish." I was thinking I don't have time Im just going to fish here for a while.

Well about an hour later they walked by with 2 or 3 huge ling cod :o Next time Im going out further :P

Fish_R_Us
10-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Shoot it's long trip to the end (both sides). Better make sure your ankles are in good shape since there's no beaten path, it's hopping from rock-to-rock. My ankles were sore the next day, we only went about 1/2 way also. I've been on the north side only, less traffic, better parking (close to Mave's). more solitude. You have to walk or bike to the Jetty (from the parking lot). I believe the correct name is Princeton instead of Princetown.

fred1
10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Had my eye on Bean Hollow, and definitely will try the jetty! Thanks for the replies!!!