PDA

View Full Version : Dunsmuir / McCloud Reservoir

insearchoffish
09-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Over the last few days I was up in the North and had the opportunity wet a line on a few different occasions. Monday on the the way up I stopped in Tad Fay fly shop and picked up a couple cool new flies and headed to the river just below the I-5 and Dunsmuir ave. bridge. The two spots that I would call "Fishy" were filled with swimmers so it was time to head up river and do a little bit of wet wading. I worked the shady slack waters behind the boulders and under the brush. I was using a clear bubble with 2-3ft leader and a half a night crawler. I caught two nice planters 14-16 inches then I had a real nice fish break off. This was the first time I have ever broken off a fish. I've had them spit the hook, snag up on something, knot fail connecting my lead-core to flouro, but I've never broke one off like that. I use 6lb test and will retie if I feel a nick in my leader, so I guess I just horsed it too much, angler error. I then made the next hour my mission to try and re-catch that fish. I was not able to hook it again but I did catch this nice one that cooked up great for dinner

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/dunsmuirbow.jpg

Threw that fish in the Igloo and headed up the road. Next stop McCloud reservoir. Got on the water around 5ish. Didn't get more than 20 ft from the dock and saw the first school of 30-40 fish swim by. Lots of doubles 4 or 5 triples and even a few quadrupole hook ups. Trolled slow with electric motor up towards the castle. Best producers were my lucky flasher and worm, seps mini dodger gold and silver with worm. Seps watermelon with worm. Seps dodger with white and pink grub covered in trophy trout. (ran out of worms) Wooly bugger and new flies trolled by themselves also produced but not nearly as good as with dodger or flasher. Fished until it got dark, 14 rainbows for me, 33 total to the boat. We also lost almost as many as we hooked, all were barley lip hooked biting short and released except a nice 2lb that came home to join the bow from earlier for dinner. We were right on the edge of a fire and Cal Fire was hard at work!
http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/SmokeyMccloud.jpg

Stopped in Dunsmuir again on the way home. This time at the botanical gardens, I hiked south down the trail and found some "fishy" water and instantly began hooking up. Caught a bunch of real clean pretty fish but not the double digit monster I was after. Fished the same setup as before. Sorry for the lack of pictures!

WLShafor
09-06-2012, 10:49 PM
That's a very pretty fish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siskiyoufisherman
09-07-2012, 06:31 AM
It's nice to see reports from here in town besides my own. So far this year it's been You, MarinPaul, RideNfish, and Talon and all have caught fish, Good job. Nothing as nice as the color of water on the McCloud Reservoir.

RideNfish
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Excellent report ISOF,

Low on your pic count but I will let it slide this time. haha Good job on the fishing or should I say catching.

Were the flies anything special that you picked up or just woolies?

Cheers,

insearchoffish
09-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Excellent report ISOF,

Low on your pic count but I will let it slide this time. haha Good job on the fishing or should I say catching.

Were the flies anything special that you picked up or just woolies?

Cheers,

Yea its really disappointing when you upload your photos and there are only 5 to choose from, but heres one more!! Cant remember what he called them.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/flypic.jpg

Marv
09-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Those are some sweet nymphs. Your trouble on those fish no matter where your fishing. Nice post!