PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon'n Santa Cruz

cool_justin
09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I have been landlocked for too many years and finally I am moving back to the coast...Santa Cruz.

I am primarily a Bass fishermen, but I do enjoy ocean fishing just as much.

Does anyone here fish the reefs from their toons? Dont worry I am a surfer and I know how to be safe in the ocean. What type of fish would I target? Any help or tips would be sweet. I have never seen a toon in the ocean, but i figure it would be possible to fish areas where the swell is shelterd and the sea is flat. Is this possible, do people do this?Thanks for the help.

Rizzo

CJC
09-30-2006, 06:21 PM
;D ;D ;D You are nuts amigo! I think the hight center of gravity on the pontoons will make it unstable in the open sea. You might be able to do in a kayak though. But keep your hand inside the boat! [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
09-30-2006, 06:21 PM
there was a crap load of cuda's out there in those kelp beds between 26'th and sewers 2 weeks ago..

cool_justin
09-30-2006, 06:31 PM
26th, thats one of my favorite breaks!!!!And yes I am nuts, but I think on the right day it is possible to navigate a toon in the ocean.

CJC
09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
26th, thats one of my favorite breaks!!!!And yes I am nuts, but I think on the right day it is possible to navigate a toon in the ocean.

One thing to consider when in the salt water. It is a good conductor of electricity. When your toon flips over you will have a meltdown inside that battery. The acid will spill out when it melts and make sure you stay away from it.

cool_justin
09-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks JT, but i dont plan on flippin my pontoon. I have seen the ocean in Santa Cruz look like glass, and this of course would give me the green light to go out. I also track swells and wind conditions and know they can change in a second. ;) This is just an idea and I dont know if I will ever do it, but it sounds like fun and I am always up for a challenge. ;D

pontoon_crew
10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Sounds like your tryin to challenge Mother Nature,thats never good but hey good luck

CORN
10-01-2006, 06:23 AM
I think if you choose the best forecasts and stay in sheltered areas, you should have no problem. *Yesterday was a perfect example. *It stayed FAC all day:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5839/flatwaterhp7.jpg

wcslingers
10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I think we have to start up a new board EXTREME FISHING lol.Good luck bro and have fun.

TSL
10-01-2006, 02:03 PM
is the pontoon boat made for the ocean?
if it is unsafe for it to be on the ocean you are endagering not only your life but everyone elses
knowing you may have trouble with your pontoon boat and somethng does happen...i would consider that murder

TSL

sorry to pop your balloon, pontoon or cartoon

cool_justin
10-01-2006, 03:11 PM
if it is unsafe for it to be on the ocean you are endagering not only your life but everyone elses
knowing you may have trouble with your pontoon boat and somethng does happen...i would consider that murder

TSL

I guess you can call me a serial killer then. This was just an idea.

motlot77
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM

TSL

i grew up surfing santa cruz as well. i don't consider it dangerous even on a good swell...maybe if you were pontooning steamers on a double overhead day. now if you were going to go out to say ocean beach, then you may be in for punishment....but it would be fun! ;D

at the most he'd lose his gear and maybe his pontoon. a nice swim to shore in 55 degree water w/out a 4/3 is good for ya!

kozar777
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I went out to Ano on Friday & on our way there we saw a guy (maybe it was you) out near natural bridges in one of those pontoon's & a small trolling motor. He seemed fine. There was no big waves out there. I personally wouldn't do it. I have a 19 foot Spectrum & am still worried something will come & take a chunk out it (especially around Ano with all the seal lions & great whites).